Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries (482 Views)

Iran Unveils 'Khaibar-Buster' Missile 'That Can Strike US Bases, Israel' / Iran Unveils New Ballistic Missile That Could Destroy US Bases In The Gulf (Pix) / China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by tamdun: 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2020
The People’s Republic of China is reportedly considering setting up military bases in about four African countries.

Some of the prospective countries for these military bases are Kenya, Seychelles, Tanzania Angola and a dozen other countries, are being tipped for China’s consideration for bases set up.

The four specifically named African governments are yet to respond to the reports.

The US Defence Department report which was published last week saw wide circulation in the media over the weekend, with some of the countries where the bases are to be set up denying being in discussions with China.

“Beyond its current base in Djibouti, the PRC [People’s Republic of China] is very likely already considering and planning for additional overseas military logistics facilities to support naval, air, and ground forces,” the report says in part.
The report categorically mentions that China has likely considered locations for military logistics facilities in Myanmar, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates, Kenya, Seychelles, Tanzania, Angola, and Tajikistan.

It added that China and Cambodia have publicly denied having signed an agreement to provide the plan with access to Cambodia’s Ream Naval Base.
https://africaatrandom.com/china-planning-to-set-up-military-bases-in-four-african-countries/

Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by kayusely70(m): 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2020
Neo-colonialism?
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by GamalNasser: 1:25pm On Sep 07, 2020
To supervise their loans na grin grin. Nigeria get ready for your own base
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by tamdun: 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
To them(China, Europe and America) Africa is just a play ground
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by Rugaria: 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
This is actually very good for Africa but I know some of us who are totally beholden to extreme nationalistic impulses together with our 'over-weaternized' political elite will be highly troubled by the this. I am of the view that the main reason why africa is such a sorry state today is because the French, the British coordinated by the Americans don't really see any ideological foe in the horizon here. They get everything cheap and easy here and this tends to make them treat Africans with disgust. We are like a defeated people; totally down and out and as such the westerners have more or else designated this continent as a huge mining field where their multi national companies go to install presidents and then loot to the brim with no one challenging them.

But a huge Chinese presence will force the west to take Africa serious. The Asian tigers; the koreans, the Taiwanese, Singaporeans were all helped by the west to stabilize in order to be used as some sort of ideological bullwark against the communists in China and the Soviet Union. That kind of high level ideological group confrontations never happened here. We need it.People should stop the fear mongering about the chinese! They are good people. Let them help us biuld shining cities like shanghai and shenzhen.. There is nothing the Chinese are going to take that they can not take now! When the west notes that Africa is seriously tilting towards the Chinese, they may start supporting responsible governments here that will produce economies healthy enough to encourage a 'pro-west' population and not supporting the likes of Paul Biya and the Mobutus.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by tamdun: 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
Rugaria:
This is actually very good for Africa but I know some of us who are totally beholden to extreme nationalistic impulses together with our 'over-weaternized' political elite will be highly troubled by the this. I am of the view that the main reason why africa is such a sorry state today is because the French, the British coordinated by the Americans don't really see any ideological foe in the horizon here. They get everything cheap and easy here and this tends to make them treat Africans with disgust. We are like a defeated people; totally down out and as such the westerners have more or else designated this continent as a huge mining fields where their multi national companies go to install presidents and then loot to the brim with no one challenging them.

But a huge Chinese presence will force the wet to take Africa serious. The Asian tigers; the koreans, the Taiwanese, Singaporeans were all helped by the west to stabilize in order to be used as some sort of bullwark against the communists in China and the Soviet Union. That kind of high level ideological group confrontations never happened here. We need it.People should stop the fear mongering about the chinese! They are good people. Let them help us biuld shining cities like shanghai and shenzhen.. There is nothing the Chinese are going to take that they can not take now! When the west notes that Africa is seriously tilting towards the Chinese, they may start supporting responsible governments here that will produce economies healthy enough to encourage a 'pro-west'population and not supporting the likes of Paul Biya and Mobutus.
Hnmmm, that's another angle, western world hadn't really help Africa, na Greek gift them dey give us but I fear China o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
Rugaria:
I am of the view that the main reason why africa is such a sorry state today is because the French, the British coordinated by the Americans don't really see any ideological foe in the horizon here. They get everything cheap and easy here and this tends to make them treat Africans with disgust. We are like a defeated people; totally down out and as such the westerners have more or else designated this continent as a huge mining fields

But a huge Chinese presence will force the west to take Africa serious. The Asian tigers; the koreans, the Taiwanese, Singaporeans were all helped by the west to stabilize in order to be used as some sort of ideological bullwark against the communists in China and the Soviet Union. That kind of high level ideological group confrontations never happened here. We need it. When the west notes that Africa is seriously tilting towards the Chinese, they may start supporting responsible governments here that will produce economies healthy enough to encourage a 'pro-west' population and not supporting the likes of Paul Biya and Mobutus.
Kinda true.... When i read bout how the soviet sponsored some nigerians to their country for university so they can be tilted more for the soviets than america
The only problem is when these students frm these countries come back there would be ideological war when we are still battling religiousand tribal war

1 Like

Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by Rugaria: 2:08pm On Sep 07, 2020
tamdun:

Hnmmm, that's another angle, western world hadn't really help Africa, na Greek gift them dey give us but I fear China o

I can understand your fear... There are genuine grounds to worry because the whole thing is tricky. But I'm looking at it from the angle of a people who are already down. Like I said earlier, there is nothing the Chinese will take in the future from this over abused continent that they can't take now. Most African states are poor beyond imaginations with rag tag defensive structures. Chinese mining companies both the legal ones and the illegal ones are all over sub-saharan Africa as we speak. So what else will happen? Colonialism? Won't happen. If I'm the president of Nigeria, I will invite them to set up shop in Calabar. At least you will be assured of the immediate demise of Boko Haram. At the moment the west is using the Boko Haram insurgency/weapons sale to Nigeria as some sort of evil bargaining chips to manipulate officialdom here.. Embrace the Chinese, the west can wail to high heavens! For over 500 years, westerners have been operating here with no tangible benefits to the locals. Lets try the Chinese.

At least we can see the roads, the airports, the railway lines they have biult with their own cash. Let's establish joint ventures and try accessing the close to 2 billion Chinese market. The westerners view of a typical African will always be steemed in deep racial chauvinism. It's not totally different with the Chinese, but what people don't know is that the Chinese and the African share a lot in common. By this I mean in terms of oppression in the hands of the west, imperialsim, family structure and even in poverty rate recently. Having said that ., I must add that a lot depends on how African leaders calibrate their response to this. If you come in as mumus, the skillful Chinese will simply continue from where the west stopped.
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by rottennaija(m): 3:29pm On Sep 07, 2020
The Rise of King of the East
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by crackhaus: 3:37pm On Sep 07, 2020
Rugaria:
This is actually very good for Africa but I know some of us who are totally beholden to extreme nationalistic impulses together with our 'over-weaternized' political elite will be highly troubled by the this. I am of the view that the main reason why africa is such a sorry state today is because the French, the British coordinated by the Americans don't really see any ideological foe in the horizon here. They get everything cheap and easy here and this tends to make them treat Africans with disgust. We are like a defeated people; totally down out and as such the westerners have more or else designated this continent as a huge mining fields where their multi national companies go to install presidents and then loot to the brim with no one challenging them.

But a huge Chinese presence will force the west to take Africa serious. The Asian tigers; the koreans, the Taiwanese, Singaporeans were all helped by the west to stabilize in order to be used as some sort of ideological bullwark against the communists in China and the Soviet Union. That kind of high level ideological group confrontations never happened here. We need it.People should stop the fear mongering about the chinese! They are good people. Let them help us biuld shining cities like shanghai and shenzhen.. There is nothing the Chinese are going to take that they can not take now! When the west notes that Africa is seriously tilting towards the Chinese, they may start supporting responsible governments here that will produce economies healthy enough to encourage a 'pro-west' population and not supporting the likes of Paul Biya and Mobutus.
There are points to be noted here.

2 Likes

Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by crackhaus: 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2020
rottennaija:
The Rise of King of the East
Lol.. Kings actually, not just one country.

Revelations 16:12

Russia already alligns themselves with China in most matters of foreign relations.
Re: China Planning To Set Up Military Bases In Four African Countries by SIRTee15: 6:46am On Sep 09, 2020
Rugaria:
This is actually very good for Africa but I know some of us who are totally beholden to extreme nationalistic impulses together with our 'over-weaternized' political elite will be highly troubled by the this. I am of the view that the main reason why africa is such a sorry state today is because the French, the British coordinated by the Americans don't really see any ideological foe in the horizon here. They get everything cheap and easy here and this tends to make them treat Africans with disgust. We are like a defeated people; totally down and out and as such the westerners have more or else designated this continent as a huge mining field where their multi national companies go to install presidents and then loot to the brim with no one challenging them.

But a huge Chinese presence will force the west to take Africa serious. The Asian tigers; the koreans, the Taiwanese, Singaporeans were all helped by the west to stabilize in order to be used as some sort of ideological bullwark against the communists in China and the Soviet Union. That kind of high level ideological group confrontations never happened here. We need it.People should stop the fear mongering about the chinese! They are good people. Let them help us biuld shining cities like shanghai and shenzhen.. There is nothing the Chinese are going to take that they can not take now! When the west notes that Africa is seriously tilting towards the Chinese, they may start supporting responsible governments here that will produce economies healthy enough to encourage a 'pro-west' population and not supporting the likes of Paul Biya and the Mobutus.

This is a powerful piece from an intelligent mind.
Yes, the West was forced to develop the 4 Asian tigers -Taiwan, south korea, singapore n Hong kong plus Japan to limit the spread of communism in Asia.
They should do the same to Africa. The west cannot be complaining of Chinese presence and investment in Africa if they not going to do anything to help the continent.
But Africa should also use their head when dealing with china. Their head no correct at all.

@Rugaria, pls don't be deceive with the 2 billion Chinese population market access.
Na the same bobo they sold to western nations....we are all witness to how it ended in tears for western nations.
The Chinese market is heavily restricted n guarded by CCP. Foreign investment or imports is severely limited n very selective.
China is only interested in solid minerals, agricultural produce, wildlife n forestry when it comes to Africa.
That's why I wrote earlier we should use our head when dealing with china or else it will also end in tears for Africa.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Countries Bordering The Highest Number Of Other Countries / North Korea Missile Tests: Photos From Space Released / 160 Marines Of The Armed Forces Of Ukraine Simultaneously Surrendered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.