Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG (18777 Views)

FG Can’t Continue To Subsidise Electricity — Power Minister, Adebayo Adelabu / FG To Use VAT Proceeds To Subsidise Electricity Tariff For 3 Months / Garba Shehu: Using Tax From Herdsmen, Farmers To Subsidise Petrol Unfair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by InaNla(f): 1:43pm On Sep 07, 2020
Fraudulent administration of rogues...

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
What a manipulative response. The irresponsible thing is making life unbearable for the citizenry and crippling economic growth with high costs of electricity and petrol despite the fact a govt is meant to better the welfare of the country.

1 Like

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by joelbooks: 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
I support the removal of subsidy

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by ikorodureporta: 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2020
Nonsense govt... where's d palliative? Make una kuku divide everything, give us our share to manage..
You can't fix refineries, you can't provide meters, all you are concerned about is how to suffer us to fund your greedy interests

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Komu1048(m): 1:45pm On Sep 07, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

Source: https://punchng.com/borrowing-to-subsidise-electricity-grossly-irresponsible-fg/

God what is our offense to deserve this govt, they don’t want to do anything. Keep invoking hardship on common man, all the thing common men enjoy about bin wipeout by this govt. God please have mercy this govt is a punishment to us, consider ur son 89 And save us
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by FullBlastLight: 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2020
Anytin dt has 2 do wit d masses' benefits is usually very much debated & difficult 4 d govt 2 do, bt are quick 2 award or approve billions of naira 4 anytin dt wil benefits govt functionaries!

For instance, they ran campaigns 2 give unemployed graduates social stamp of #5000, bt they failed 2 implement it by denying it in broad daylight!

Second, they dragged & are stil failing 2 implement d #30,000 minimum wage 4 d Nigerian workers!

Moreso, while other sane Nations were giving Covid-19 stimulus packages 2 their much cherished citizens, d Nig govt deserted Nigerians & shyed away frm it & instead swindled d donated COVID-19 funds!

To cushion d destabilising effects of Covid-19 on d Private Sch teachers, d govt said they wil pay them & dt one too has gone down d same away others hv gone unimplemented!

What more can we say or what more shld we expect frm dis swindling govt?

Dis implies dis country only exists 2 use all its resources & funds 2 furnish govt officials while d masses perpetually wallow in misery, wretchedness & despondency!

D saddening part of d whole thing is dt u wil stil see d same suffering masses voting & singing d praises of dis racketeers dt called themselves leaders!

Leaders, my foot! Who is even following them dt they're parading themselves as leaders!

Anytin 2 oppress & impoverish d masses is alwys eagerly welcome by d Nigerian anti-pple govt!

Mtchewww...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by anonimi: 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:
They paid subsides because Nigerians wanted it and because if they didn't, we would have been paying 200 naira for a liter of fuel by 2015. If not more
( Of course, removing subsidy would in the long term be good for the economy, which was why APC was silly in protesting pdps removal in 2012)

Three years after deregulation of the telecoms sector in 2000, were we paying higher for telephone services than we were under NITEL monopoly?
Not forgetting the millions of direct and indirect employment.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3903043_3900875eremainsmalluformakesensepng0cbd86798bdb9acb6b2f053976eebe47_png4f72619c8ca6b05dbf89dda16578e7fe

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by money121(m): 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by anonimi: 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2020
Timekeeper:
But borrowing to buy cars for senators
Borrowing to loot
Frustrating citizen nko
All these are responsible abi..
Can't we just terminate all these people like Ghana did..

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3626665_hilarious_jpeg1ecdcdffc482a4c4b104159dc2f70be2

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3929046_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by lexy2014: 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

Three years after deregulation of the telecoms sector in 2000, were we paying higher for telephone services than we were under NITEL monopoly?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3903043_3900875eremainsmalluformakesensepng0cbd86798bdb9acb6b2f053976eebe47_png4f72619c8ca6b05dbf89dda16578e7fe

Has d petroleum sector been deregulated d way d telcoms sector was deregulated?
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by 6digitscomrade: 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

Source: https://punchng.com/borrowing-to-subsidise-electricity-grossly-irresponsible-fg/

borrowing to fund already filled political pockets is heinous!!! Borrowing to pay bogus appointees and ambiguous ministers it’s callous!! Borrowing to fund the most expensive government in the world is grossly barbaric and a no brainier!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Temptee101(m): 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Damnnnn niggarrr

Is not oright this time around.
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by IAmkingoludav(m): 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
whatever
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by janeedema(f): 1:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
I truly am lost for words.

The kind of hardship that's about to befall some Nigerians is better imagined than expressed.
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Chirowman(m): 1:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
which way naija
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by lereinter(m): 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2020
Rubbish

buhari or whatever you call your name, you don't have the moral right to remove any subsidy cos you said there's was no subsidy and protested against subsidy removal embarked by the past government

Atiku campaigned by saying he will privatise nnpc, your government response was that he wants to sell national asset

But if your government does so it's the right

You are cursed
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

Really?

Yes.

Here is how it worked (I've been reading a bit )

1. When discos and gencos were set up, the government of your hero GEJ in order to keep prices low made discos sell power at a low rate...with the idea that government would pay them a subsidy of sorts.

2. Government has been struggling to pay that subsidy since then , especially after APC took over. In 2016,the discos took out a paid advert begging government to pay up.

3. Today, as one report put it, government has been spending 1 trillion naira annually subsidising the power sector.

4. This is because it costs 53 naira to produce one kWh of power,while we pay 30 naira or less till recently ( and the recent increase affects some customers not all). That means a loss of 23 naira at least per power unit sold

5. This makes it difficult for discos to pay gencos and this is why discos reject electricity. When you are operating at a loss, you can't buy stuff.

6. Gencos, especially the gas reliant ones, have to pay for gas . In dollars. From the open market. CBN hates releasing dollars to them.

7 . Banks won't give loans to the power industry because no one loves loaning cash to a subsidised industry

8. Hence the recent price increase. In my opinion, government should even hands off setting prices and let the discos look for money. Power would be more expensive, but at least, we save money from not paying subsidies

9. That's a brief history of the issue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by anonimi: 1:54pm On Sep 07, 2020
lexy2014:
Has d petroleum sector been deregulated d way d telcoms sector was deregulated?

Was that not the ultimate goal of Jonathan that prompted the silly protest orchestrated by ThiefNuibu, Barawo Bubu and other Association of Past/Present Criminals, APC demons

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2606895_fuelsubsidygovernorssupport2011b_jpeg5c37e0f0eb35bb083e30b935969cd3c6

1 Like

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by israelmao(m): 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2020
Tell me what is responsible about this government?
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3903043_3976eebe47_png4f72619c8ca6b05dbf89dda16578e7fe

Thanks for saying I had no sense. I'm much obliged I'm sure.

Yes, we paid high prices three years later. Now, we don't pay high prices .

Plus Nitel , being the heavily subsidised behemoth it was did not have the cash to compete with MTN and co

Because MTN was not being subsidised, they earned enough money and along with Airtel and Glo and 9mobile built up the telecom sector that has generated far more jobs than Nitel and made far more people , including poor people whom your hero Dave Mark said could not own phones own a phone.

Price controls don't work . Yes, them gsm companies exploited us, but their investment built things up.

Thank you

5 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
So is selling national assets and borrowing to run the country!
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by iwaeda: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:
That sadly is what we have been doing for a long time.

Time we faced the reality and stopped

Though the leadership too is to blame. Diversifying the economy or at least cutting subsidies in petrol and paying it for power may help the poor somewhat.

You are doing well in the defence of this useless admin

1 Like

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Openbusiness: 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2020
But approving billions to renovate the Senate building is responsible fa? Carry on. God no go shame us.
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by anonimi: 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:
Yes.
Here is how it worked (I've been reading a bit )

1. When discos and gencos were set up, the government of your hero GEJ in order to keep prices low made discos sell power at a low rate...with the idea that government would pay them a subsidy of sorts.

2. Government has been struggling to pay that subsidy since then , especially after APC took over. In 2016,the discos took out a paid advert begging government to pay up.

3. Today, as one report put it, government has been spending 1 trillion naira annually subsidising the power sector.

4. This is because it costs 53 naira to produce one kWh of power,while we pay 30 naira or less till recently ( and the recent increase affects some customers not all). That means a loss of 23 naira at least per power unit sold

5. This makes it difficult for discos to pay gencos and this is why discos reject electricity. When you are operating at a loss, you can't buy stuff.

6. Gencos, especially the gas reliant ones, have to pay for gas . In dollars. From the open market. CBN hates releasing dollars to them.

7 . Banks won't give loans to the power industry because no one loves loaning cash to a subsidised industry

8. Hence the recent price increase. In my opinion, government should even hands off setting prices and let the discos look for money. Power would be more expensive, but at least, we save money from not paying subsidies

9. That's a brief history of the issue

Jonathan is not my hero, just as none of our politicians is my hero. However he is better than Barawo Bubu by far.
Why is Barawo Bubu selling dollars to electricity producers at open market rates while round tripping goes on like Abacha times with crazy preferential rates to his conies and proxies for looting as happened under Abacha, his darling saint? Did we have similar different rates under clueless Jonathan?
Why do banks give loans to the subsidised oil and gas people?
Etc, etc.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3431120_cdatausersdefappsappdatainternetexplorertempsavedimages3420191picsart1455886204785jpeg503a9ea978cee321112203705090d494_jpeg42f7ff794fb9c526b6223de620a8596b

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4780865_img20170115wa0000_jpeg1d8e7567925b3c58ce06da5797c6a05a

[img]https://3.bp..com/-0_tKBcldQyw/WJxU2qTEXsI/AAAAAAAEvwM/ZUiOO0LdZlM7vGCwcBcsDsAIe00oAO23ACLcB/s1600/photostudio_1486638555627.jpg[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by lexy2014: 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

Was that not the ultimate goal of Jonathan that prompted the silly protest orchestrated by ThiefNuibu, Barawo Bubu and other Association of Past/Present Criminals, APC demons

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2606895_fuelsubsidygovernorssupport2011b_jpeg5c37e0f0eb35bb083e30b935969cd3c6

D matter is very simple but yet complex and vice versa. Deregulation isn't on d mind of govt
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
iwaeda:

You are doing well in the defence of this useless admin

Yes , the last paragraph of my comment you quoted is a defence of the administration too.

Leave those politicians alone. The APC was protesting sensible polices in 2012 which led us to where we are today.
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by anonimi: 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:
Thanks for saying I had no sense. I'm much obliged I'm sure.

Yes, we paid high prices three years later. Now, we don't pay high prices .

Plus Nitel , being the heavily subsidised behemoth it was did not have the cash to compete with MTN and co

Because MTN was not being subsidised, they earned enough money and along with Airtel and Glo and 9mobile built up the telecom sector that has generated far more jobs than Nitel and made far more people , including poor people whom your hero Dave Mark said could not own phones own a phone.

Price controls don't work . Yes, them gsm companies exploited us, but their investment built things up.

Thank you

I did not say you don't have sense.
tagging people my hero is to achieve what?
If price controls don't work, how is Buhari better than Jonathan, as this is a fundamental economic issue?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3075524_bubu1_jpeg88275f10f2430d13576e18436b244ea1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2589504_subsidy2_jpeg57ea79bc1f8758353f00f8db1d53dbf1

2 Likes

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by iwaeda: 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

Self denial is the most painful thing for some people.
They were chorosing 'subidy does not exist then'. I heard Buhari saying so in the media.
Now they are bending the pole

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
anonimi:

Jonathan is not my hero, just as none of our politicians is my hero. However he is better than Barawo Bubu by far.
Why is Barawo Bubu selling dollars to electricity producers at open market rates while round tripping goes on like Abacha times with crazy preferential rates to his conies and proxies for looting as happened under Abacha, his darling saint? Did we have similar different rates under clueless Jonathan?
Why do banks give loans to the subsidised oil and gas people?
Etc, etc.

Dunno. Considering I don't even back APC and regard their economic management as bad( and even this their removal of subsides while making some sense, is still iffy since they are.still.controlling prices and so on...I don't know.

Go ask manna or the other APC supporters.
Re: Borrowing To Subsidise Electricity Grossly Irresponsible -FG by iwaeda: 2:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:

Yes , the last paragraph of my comment you quoted is a defence of the administration too.

Leave those politicians alone. The APC was protesting sensible polices in 2012 which led us to where we are today.

But there is no subsidy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abuja Fuel Queues Disappear As NNPC Pumps 67 Million Litres Of Petrol / Enugu Auto Crash: Ugwuanyi Visits Scene, Commiserates Victims / Delta Christian Youths Write CAN, Seek Blacklisting Of Omo-Agege

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.