Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,658 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely (20552 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by spikedcylinder: 3:14pm On Feb 24, 2011
Lol. Ife still dey this levels?
I remember the many shut downs in my time. Once for beating up Rogers and another to do with alfas and Indecency.
Nawa o.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Mobinga: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2011
[size=16pt]So why is the WEAK ASS MUDAPHUCKIN DULL SCHOOL being termed GREAT?

[/size]

Their students can't even point out a reason why OAU is termed GREAT? Rather they resort to name-calling. The calibre of graduates being produced there is appalling. What a shame.
Great School? Keep dreaming and living on PAST glories.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by moshoodn(m): 3:18pm On Feb 24, 2011
GREAT IFE used to be great,

Living on past glories that is fading as rapid as the sunset.

Poor students, i feel your pain,
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by zerocool(m): 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2011
Just N2,000 to N20, 000 increment na im everybdy dey scream great ife. I no knw say Na Poor students plenty 4 OAU oo! Great my ass! Mstcheww!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by hunsu: 3:38pm On Feb 24, 2011
Fabrorode concocted lots of lies and i wonder what kind of man he is.i do not understand why are some people asking the greatness of ife! all i employ you to do is to go and research on the awards, outstanding achievement  made by both student and lecturers btw 2000-2010.do you know that there  is a program going on from MIT and OAU is the first to pioneer student in that line.do you also know that most of the devices such as flat screen, flash and the likes are done by OAU student in diaspora do you also know that the stuctures in this school cannot be compare to any in Nigeria.DO MORE RESEARCH AND YOU WILL KNOW WHY IT IS CALLED GREAT IFE.recently a professor in oau is the first ever to get a grant of over $100000 for research in africa out of over 100 candidates all over the world that apply for it.Man if you no know pls shut up.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OF THE GREATEST IFeeeeeeeeeeeee E
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by hadi4real(f): 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2011
Safety consultants requires the services of experienced marketers and HSE officers for employment. Applicants must have 2-3 years experience and a minimum qualification of  Bachelors degree in relevant fields. Interested persons should forward their CVS to admin@safetysolutionsng.com.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Googler(m): 3:45pm On Feb 24, 2011
Emmysteve:

na dis small money una dey complain? Mtshewww
Yes. And that is the problem with Nigerians. These kids want to go to school without paying for it. Wherever they got the idea from you can't say.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by ade101(m): 3:57pm On Feb 24, 2011
'God bless university of ilorin and its products'
most federal unis are living on past glories and the student acclaimed 'great' ife is no exception.The only uni that is presently writting its history book is unilorin.Ilorin is fast approaching greatness by winning prizes in various departments.No wonder,it is comfortably sitted on 1st position on webometric ranking.
'BETTER BY FAR'
oau better by strike.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by hunsu: 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
emmysteeve do me a favor by asking LAUTECH their school fees now(4rm 15-16k to 35k and now above 120k) and mozango/mozanga whatever the name is please do me a favor.On whose site are you pasting these comments?ask him the school he attended and try to think before you speak .mozangooooooooo!! grin grin grin grin grin yeye notu.and mr math, d onces wey u no now plenty pas d one wey u now so shut up.when we are talking of schools pls ILORin should pls not talk (your schl is a modernize secondary schl with your vice chancellor using juju on both lecturer and evicting student like mad,my friend shhhhhhut-up.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by sweetguy10(m): 4:56pm On Feb 24, 2011
Mscheeew because they added 2,000 abi what ? OOU freshers are paying 250,000 , 380,000 naira and the stalites are paying about 120,000
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Tunsbobo(m): 5:11pm On Feb 24, 2011
zerocool:

Just N2,000 to N20, 000 increment na im everybdy dey scream great ife. I no knw say Na Poor students plenty 4 OAU oo! Great my backside! Mstcheww!
Shut up your smelling mouth! Can you dash me N18,000?. Students of Great Ife are students with vigour, ruggedness and courage. The fact that we are bold enough to fight for our rights i.e, an unjustified increase in our school fees doesn't make us wretched, try to use ur brains next time to deem it fit to post a reply on nairaland.
ade101:

'God bless university of ilorin and its products'
most federal unis are living on past glories and the student acclaimed 'great' ife is no exception.The only uni that is presently writting its history book is unilorin.Ilorin is fast approaching greatness by winning prizes in various departments.No wonder,it is comfortably sitted on 1st position on webometric ranking.
'BETTER BY FAR'
oau better by strike.
You call a school with no sug, a school where cultism is an order of day, a school where most of the school management are islamic fanatics the best school in the country?? You must be a joker!

1 Like

Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by NaijaNile: 5:17pm On Feb 24, 2011
oh lord, i still cant believe this kind of thing happens in Nigerian Universities, is it stones u want the administrators to use to run the schools? Majority of students are foolish am sorry to say, while your SUG guys are following politicians and collecting big money from them, u are following "struggle", getting extended stay in school while they have already started a political/thuggery career for themselves.

If you want a University Education then u must be ready to pay for it. Go anywhere in the world, You have to pay for University Education. Imagine, you are paying 2k for acceptance fee, $15?? those of u who have applied to UK schools, how much do you even pay for application in some cases? u want the best yet u dont want to pay, does success come free? do good things come free? In developed countries that we always run to and love their infrastructure, people pay taxes as much as 50% to maintain those infrastructure,

Pls make we hear word abeg. This aluta over school fees is stupidity of the highest order. And i dont want to hear any stupid excuse of how the economy is hard, if you dont have a sponsor you can teach secondary school students for SSCE or JAMB and make money for yr fees, In the US, UK students work and school at  the same time,

You guys are just wasting your time, and unfortunately your life. IF YOU WANT GOOD EDUCATION YOU MUST PAY. FULL STOP!!!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by zayzee(f): 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2011
[« #24 on: Today at 02:08:22 PM »
The local authorities dont have any stake in it as regards the question asked by odunharry,and to all who wants to know why OAU is great then maybe u shld ask seun himself (owner of nairaland)
But why the strike again now? when i was in skl then we used to have as much strike as lectures and it greatly affected us but somehow we weathered the storm and we are where we are today.]

seriously, the whole education sector in Nigeria is in a state of emergency.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 24, 2011
Great ife is a university dat u learn, study & read b4 u pass exams. If u dull brain u be trown out. Not a school u depend on cheatin durin exams. 2) structural master piece. 3) qualitative & quantitave Drs. & profs, Visit great ife and see 4 urself.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by kaz4sure: 5:46pm On Feb 24, 2011
@NaijaNile -----may God bless you for your wonderful post.
Am sure that if the students knows the value of time very well, they wont be doing what they are doing now, atleast the bible says give ceaser what belong to ceaser, the increase in school fees is one of the sacrifice that the student have to do while still in school, what the student should be more concerned about is the number of years they have left in the school, the strikes action will not help the matter. for your info, the SUG that you think are fighting for you are also a mere student/human being like you.

Im sure the school fees is still very low compare to what state owned university student are paying (e.f LASU, OSU etc)m or try any professsional exams like ICAN, ACCA, CIS, CITN etc

PLEASE GO BACK TO SCHOOL, because TIME NA MONEY
A MAN WHO WASTE TIME IS A MAN WHO WASTE MONEY.
N20,000 TODAY CAN BE $20,000,000,000,000,000 FOR YOU TOMMORROW IF U UTILIZED YOUR TIME VERY WELL.
STRIKE IS A DEADLY KILLER OF TIME.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by tlops(m): 6:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
aluta-conscious IFE!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Missy85(f): 6:21pm On Feb 24, 2011
Why GREAT IFE?  My personal reasons would be: 1) the extraordinarily strong academia 2) the understated glamour & incredible organised beauty of the campus, which is a great testament to the achivements of the govt  of Western Nigeria under AwoLowo.

I wld be pleasantly surprised if there was a better environment in Nigeria to study that Ife Campus.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Mobinga: 6:30pm On Feb 24, 2011
@missy b
I've got our trip to Dubai ready kiss cool
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Chubhie: 6:30pm On Feb 24, 2011
For you to understand this great citadel of learning you have to understand the very philosophy of Chief Obafemi Awolowo- free and compulsory education for all. I believe that the structures and traditions of this school speaks volumes! You can not belong and not become. The political appointee in the person of prof. Faborode should please see to the speedy resolution of this fracas. Much respect to F-JAY. Chubhie dept of philosopy.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Missy85(f): 6:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
aww, Mobinga, how thoughtful of u. I cld certainly do with some shopping right now & you'd be pleased to know I always pay 4 my own shopping. So, come on, lets go!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by veraponpo(m): 7:06pm On Feb 24, 2011
U CANNOT KNOW WHAT MAKES OAU GREAT UNTIL U STUDY THE SCHOOL,ITS ENVIRONMENT,ITS PRODUCTS,DRILLINGS AND IDEOLOGIES.ITS CONSISTENCY IN ALL  -SPORT,EDUCATION,LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL AWARDS,CORPORATE BODIES KNOW THIS AND THAT IS WHY THEY GO THERE EVERY YEAR TO RECRUIT FROM THE SCHOOL. I WROTE 5 APTITUDE TESTS WHILE IN PART4 AND 2 IN MY PART 3. i SECURED 2 JOBS RIGHT FROM THE SCHOOL.NOT 10 YRS AGO BUT IN  RECENT PAST.

U CAN'T USE WEALTH TO BOAST IN GREAT IFE,U CANNOT USE THOUGERY TO DEPICT ANYTHING,CULTISTS CANNOT DISPLAY IN MY ALMA MATA AS THEY DID RECENTLY IN UNILAG,THE TUTION IS AFFORDABLE FOR ALL-FOLLOWING THE VISION OF ITS FOUNDING FATHERS TO GIVE EDUCATION TO ALL. I DID NOT SPEND UP TO #50,000 THROUGH OUT MY STAY IN THE SCHOOL AND TODAY I AM A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT, HAVE MBA,ETC.

GREAT IFE, THE BEST NIGERIA'S UNIVERSITY IN THE AFRICA'S RATING IN THE LAST TEN YEARS. SETS THE PACE IN ALL COURSES-PHARMACY,LAW,ART, THE ONLY SCHOOL WHICH PRODUCED THE FIRST NOBEL LAURAETE IN AFRICA-WOLE SOYINKA AS A LECTURER IN 1986. I CAN GO ON ON AND ON LIKE THAT. GREEEEEEEEEEAT IFE. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE WEAPON OF THE AUTHORITY,IF YOU RESIST;U MAY WIN. [b]ALUTA CONTINUA;VICTORIA ACERTA,
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by DisGuy: 7:30pm On Feb 24, 2011
hunsu:

Fabrorode concocted lots of lies and i wonder what kind of man he is.i do not understand why are some people asking the greatness of ife! all i employ you to do is to go and research on the awards, outstanding achievement  made by both student and lecturers btw 2000-2010.do you know that there  is a program going on from MIT and OAU is the first to pioneer student in that line.do you also know that most of the devices such as flat screen, flash and the likes are done by OAU student in diaspora do you also know that the stuctures in this school cannot be compare to any in Nigeria.DO MORE RESEARCH AND YOU WILL KNOW WHY IT IS CALLED GREAT IFE.recently[b] a professor in oau is the first ever to get a grant of over $100000 for research in africa[/b] out of over 100 candidates all over the world that apply for it.Man if you no know pls shut up.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OF THE GREATEST IFeeeeeeeeeeeee E

shocked shocked
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by okunoba(m): 7:32pm On Feb 24, 2011
@Naijanile. u have said it all. OAU students can`t be good thinkers, dem just de follow, follow the corrupt SU leaders.
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 7:34pm On Feb 24, 2011
We'll win. We already have won the level one, cos the matric that was supposed to hold yesterday, have been stalled. That was what pushed the management to enforce the closure of the school, when the protest has yet to reach the maximum 72 hours, upon which a closure can be invoked.

For the person that commented that the increment is not big enough to warrant a protest, i have this to tell u: it is always advisable to foreclose the level of the flood when it has not reach the height of a foot , for it will be extremely difficult to curb same whence it has passed it. Do not ever forget that!
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by DisGuy: 7:34pm On Feb 24, 2011
NaijaNile:

oh lord, i still cant believe this kind of thing happens in Nigerian Universities, is it stones u want the administrators to use to run the schools? Majority of students are foolish am sorry to say, while your SUG guys are following politicians and collecting big money from them, u are following "struggle", getting extended stay in school while they have already started a political/thuggery career for themselves.

If you want a University Education then u must be ready to pay for it. Go anywhere in the world, You have to pay for University Education. Imagine, you are paying 2k for acceptance fee, $15?? those of u who have applied to UK schools, how much do you even pay for application in some cases? u want the best yet u dont want to pay, does success come free? do good things come free? In developed countries that we always run to and love their infrastructure, people pay taxes as much as 50% to maintain those infrastructure,

Pls make we hear word abeg. This aluta over school fees is stupidity of the highest order. And i dont want to hear any silly excuse of how the economy is hard, if you dont have a sponsor you can teach secondary school students for SSCE or JAMB and make money for yr fees, In the US, UK students work and school at  the same time,

You guys are just wasting your time, and unfortunately your life. IF YOU WANT GOOD EDUCATION YOU MUST PAY. FULL STOP!!!

application is actually free  tongue

the way schools in nigeria increase school fees is weird, why cant they increase gradually instead of just bringing it out overnight like someone needs cash for wedding or something

Acceptance fee, admin fee, health insurance, sports fees, uniform, library, computer, trip and so many weird things they add to their list
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by dayokanu(m): 7:37pm On Feb 24, 2011
NaijaNile:

Pls make we hear word abeg. This aluta over school fees is stupidity of the highest order. And i dont want to hear any silly excuse of how the economy is hard, if you dont have a sponsor you can teach secondary school students for SSCE or JAMB and make money for yr fees, In the US, UK students work and school at the same time,

You analysis would only make sense when you compare the minimum wage of Nigeria to those countries
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by DisGuy: 7:40pm On Feb 24, 2011
If i were a senator I'll pay/raise funds for all new students yearly to keep education for all spirit going cool
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
but seriously wot oau students did was crap.fine d skul fis was increased,dey did a peaceful protest,dey blocked d roads leading to d hostel,bank areas etc.at least i'm a livin witness to all d unnecesary trafic dey caused in skul.d height of it was wen dey forced a lectura to carry matress on his head n folo dem all ova d skul.y r dey even shoutin n complanin bout d skul fis wen a regular oau boy will go to new buka every nyt and spend close to ten thousand if not more on alchol and u'll see scantily dressed hundred and two hundred level gals loiterin ova d new buka ,lukin for who will say hi to dem.now twenty k is now a problem.wen som guys can spend any amount to get a gal to open ha legs or booze.now 4 ur own education.smh.anywayz i care less if dey strike for ten yrs.it doesnt stop me from seeing my suppervisor.i'm even happy cos ill av gone a long way in my thesis and so by d tym skul resumes i'm almost done and dey wont read thoroughly durin defence.so dey'll just graduate me from my msc and adsmit d fresh pg students.so y'all lazy teenagers can waste ur tym grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rabzy: 8:35pm On Feb 24, 2011
okunoba:

@Naijanile. u have said it all. OAU students can`t be good thinkers, dem just de follow, follow the corrupt SU leaders.

If you have not been there you would never understand. This is a school which is surrounded by hills, mountains and great bushes, but has never been taken over by cultists, a school where you can walk safely anytime of the day, read anywhere you like and go anywhere you want all this was achieved not by the school authorities but by the vigilant students.

This is a school where you can't just harass any student, in fact in my time which was quite recent if you lay your hands on a Lady, you are liable to ferefe sisi.
This is a school where for just 20,000 naira or so misappropriation of funds the student union president was almost lynched, and several union leaders have been impeached and beaten for embezzlement of paltry funds.

This is a school where basic amenities like light, water is fairly constant because the students would not allow themselves been shortchanged.

This is a school where fro m the day of resumption hundreds of students flocks to reading areas when exams is still many months away.
This is a school where the students have been making waves all over the world and in the several fields just like other schools. Every school use the term Great, Great UItes, Great Akokites etc but we make the loudest noise and we are very proud to say it, so ifsome others can proclaim their greatness as much as we do, we would not apologise for our behavior.

And even in those times past where people claim the glories exist, there was a whole lot of activism, in fact Fela mentioned it in one of his songs ' craze world be dat, where dem kill de students for zaria and ife'.

While all that has been said, just like with evry other movements and protests, the protests are often overdone and the student unions allow selfish and ideological jargons get in the way of reasoning, and OAU students don't shut the schools, its the School authority that use it tojust punish students and they see it as an easy way out of a crisis situation.

Greeeeeeat Ife
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by rabzy: 8:41pm On Feb 24, 2011
okunoba:

If you have not been there you would never understand. This is a school which is surrounded by hills, mountains and great bushes, but has never been taken over by cultists, a school where you can walk safely anytime of the day, read anywhere you like and go anywhere you want all this was achieved not by the school authorities but by the vigilant students.

This is a school where you can't just harass any student, in fact in my time which was quite recent if you lay your hands on a Lady, you are liable to ferefe sisi.
This is a school where for just 20,000 naira or so misappropriation of funds the student union president was almost lynched, and several union leaders have been impeached and beaten for embezzlement of paltry funds.

This is a school where basic amenities like light, water is fairly constant because the students would not allow themselves been shortchanged.

This is a school where fro m the day of resumption hundreds of students flock to reading areas when exams is still many months away.
This is a school where the students have been making waves all over the world and in the several fields just like other schools too.

Every school use the term Great, Great UItes, Great Akokites etc but we make the loudest noise and we are very proud to say it, so if some others cant proclaim their greatness as much as we do, we would not apologise for our behavior.

And even in those times past where people claim the glories exist, there was a whole lot of activism, in fact Fela mentioned it in one of his songs ' craze world be dat, where dem kill de students for zaria and ife'.

While all that has been said, just like with evry other movements and protests, the protests are often overdone and the student unions allow selfish and ideological jargons get in the way of reasoning, and they are the ones that go into negotiations with the school.
And OAU students don't shut the school, its the School authority that use it to just punish students and they see it as an easy way out of a crisis situation.

Greeeeeeat Ife
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by dayokanu(m): 8:46pm On Feb 24, 2011
rabzy:

This is a school where fro m the day of resumption hundreds of students flock to reading areas when exams is still many months away.
This is a school where the students have been making waves all over the world and in the several fields just like other schools too.

Every school use the term Great, Great UItes, Great Akokites etc but we make the loudest noise and we are very proud to say it, so if some others cant proclaim their greatness as much as we do, we would not apologise for our behavior.

While all that has been said, just like with evry other movements and protests, the protests are often overdone and the student unions allow selfish and ideological jargons get in the way of reasoning, and they are the ones that go into negotiations with the school.
And OAU students don't shut the school, its the School authority that use it to just punish students and they see it as an easy way out of a crisis situation.

Greeeeeeat Ife

This message was co-signed by Dayokanu
Re: OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely by fayawo: 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2011
@ NaijaNile and KayZ4Sure you guys have spoken.

I have been there,Aluta will sound interesting for alot of folks BUT when it is time to account for so many WASTED years of your life you will regret all the 6 months,8 months of MOJO break.

You may not realize this until you graduate and a 21 year old girl from Babcock will order you up and down to go buy epa and boli!

You may not realize now until some companies tell you,you are too old to apply!

Make hay while the sun shines.  The world is moving and it could be leaving guys behind while they are busy doing Greatest GboGbo,Pawon,Shiwon,Shhhssshshshs.  FYI Faborode's salary will not stop entering his account even if you delay your destiny and bright future  from today till next year.[color=#990000][/color]

The future is staring at folks in the face while they are blindly following the dictates of some short sighted folks.I beg Finish your studies and go and start making good money.

I rest my case o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kwara State Polytechnic Result Now Out / "Barb" Your Hair Is Wrong. See The Right Word / 11-yr-old Wins 16th Spelling Bee Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.