Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,745 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

I Thank God We Still Have A Country Call Nigeria, Says Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Thank God We Still Have A Country Call Nigeria, Says Obasanjo (490 Views)

When You Call Nigeria President Dull You Need To Check Your Brain / I Thank God For Sparing Buhari’s Life -jonathan / God Why Why.why Do You Arrange slowpoke In One Country Call Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Thank God We Still Have A Country Call Nigeria, Says Obasanjo by asha80(m): 5:41pm On Feb 23, 2011
I thank God we still have a country call Nigeria, says Obasanjo
News Feb 23, 2011
6Share

Sokoto – Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has stressed the need for Nigerians to be united in spite of their cultural , religious and ethnic differences.

Obasanjo at the flag off of the second term re-election bid of the Sokoto Governor Alhaji Aliyu Wamakko, said the nation must manage its diversity well.

The former president urged Nigerians to elect a leader who would be able to provide stability and visionary leadership.

`We should not vote on the basis of religion or sectionalism but on the basis of the present need of the country,’’ he said.

Obasanjo expressed delight that the country had continued to remain united , adding: “I thank God that we still have a country we can call Nigeria undiminished .’’

He stressed the need to improve security while tackling unemployment , poverty and poor infrastructure.

The former president also commended Wamakko for transforming the state in the last four years.

“ I have never seen a crowd like this in my life. Sokoto is a historic city in Nigeria with a special place among all the cities in Nigeria, ” he said.

He called on the people of the state to give their mandate to Wamakko again in the forthcoming polls, assuring them that he would not fail.

Also speaking at the rally, Transport Minister Yusuf Suleiman urged the people to vote for Wamakko to ensure continuity.

`PDP has come to stay in Sokoto and we will continue to do all that we can to promote the growth of our state,’’ he said.

He also called on party supporters to guard their votes and shun all forms of violence.

Suleiman said the state government had taken steps to provide a level-playing field for candidates.

He called for political tolerance and understanding to sustain the peace in the state. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/i-thank-god-we-still-have-a-country-call-nigeria-says-obasanjo/

(1) (Reply)

Shame To Our Leaders For Making Nigerians Seek Refuge In Countries Like Malaysia / Police Killed By Boko Haram Member / Libyan Major General Switches Sides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.