Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,328 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into (298 Views)

Students Of FGC, Warri Blast Their School For Making Them Clear A Dunghill / Top Seven Nigerian Universities With "Eco - Friendly" Campuses - Kinesthouse / Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into by Excelinpages(m): 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
What is happening to our best talents and what are our campuses making them into?

I just finished reading The Great Influenza by John M Barry. It is a book that showcased how individuals and educational institutions were relevant in helping the world unravel the global pandemic of the early 1900s.

This reading rekindled an idea I've been fighting to kick start.

There are abundant talents in our universities and campuses, but what becomes of them? What impact do they make and how are the said hallowed institutions making judicious use of the minds and talents bestowed to them for educational upbringing?

How do learners innovate and get the mindset that shifts them from 'campus materials' to industry-relevant materials?

Aside from maths, three other courses came to mind; Chemistry, Physics and Computer science.

So many untapped opportunities await such talents in Nigeria. We have a national, industrial, and economic need for such courses. Beyond the classroom and 'rather poor' influence of lecturers on their students, how do these minds break the hold to help drive the next wave of development in Nigeria?

We need these talents in three main areas. Education (which we have a truckload off already), industry application (we're rather lacking here), and finally research (please, not final year projects or thesis, I mean real research ... industry impacting research).

Harvard isn't Harvard nor MIT, MIT because of their names, these institutions drive innovation and change in their countries.

And when I pause to think, I ask myself, where is the Nigerian equivalent today. Why aren't our institutions driving the creation of a vaccine for COVID? Who says the Nigerian intellectuals cannot create a vaccine? When will a Nigerian led research make an impact in changing a constitution or creating a new one?

I am starting a move I call LinkedIn Ten Thousand Movement (#LinkedIn10K), and the goal is to influence students to think strategically and innovatively in leading a new narrative for Nigeria.

We will be different.

#linkedin10k
Re: What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into by Hahjascho(m): 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2020
Excelinpages:
What is happening to our best talents and what are our campuses making them into?

I just finished reading The Great Influenza by John M Barry. It is a book that showcased how individuals and educational institutions were relevant in helping the world unravel the global pandemic of the early 1900s.

This reading rekindled an idea I've been fighting to kick start.

There are abundant talents in our universities and campuses, but what becomes of them? What impact do they make and how are the said hallowed institutions making judicious use of the minds and talents bestowed to them for educational upbringing?

How do learners innovate and get the mindset that shifts them from 'campus materials' to industry-relevant materials?

Aside from maths, three other courses came to mind; Chemistry, Physics and Computer science.

So many untapped opportunities await such talents in Nigeria. We have a national, industrial, and economic need for such courses. Beyond the classroom and 'rather poor' influence of lecturers on their students, how do these minds break the hold to help drive the next wave of development in Nigeria?

We need these talents in three main areas. Education (which we have a truckload off already), industry application (we're rather lacking here), and finally research (please, not final year projects or thesis, I mean real research ... industry impacting research).

Harvard isn't Harvard nor MIT, MIT because of their names, these institutions drive innovation and change in their countries.

And when I pause to think, I ask myself, where is the Nigerian equivalent today. Why aren't our institutions driving the creation of a vaccine for COVID? Who says the Nigerian intellectuals cannot create a vaccine? When will a Nigerian led research make an impact in changing a constitution or creating a new one?

I am starting a move I call LinkedIn Ten Thousand Movement (#LinkedIn10K), and the goal is to influence students to think strategically and innovatively in leading a new narrative for Nigeria.

We will be different.

#linkedin10k

How about using Twitter?
Re: What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into by Excelinpages(m): 11:30am On Sep 15, 2020
I thought about it but noticed that those platform are already over saturated, the goal is to have people within an ecosystem that also allow =s them connect to working professionals hence LinkedIn.

Hahjascho:
How about using Twitter?
Re: What Is Happening To Our Best Talents And What Are Our Campuses Making Them Into by Hahjascho(m): 3:42pm On Sep 15, 2020
Excelinpages:
I thought about it but noticed that those platform are already over saturated, the goal is to have people within an ecosystem that also allow =s them connect to working professionals hence LinkedIn.

Ok

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Post COVID-19: Academic Calendar Of Akwa Ibom State University / Experience Study, Work And Life In Finland. / The 12th Of November 2020 Neco English Language(expo)questions And Answers(essay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.