Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,765 members, 7,955,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:37 PM

Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office (1474 Views)

Udom Emmanuel Completes House (Mansion) In Just Months In Office -SaharaReporter / We’ll Rule Lagos For 35 More Years – APC / What Will Four More Years Of Barack Obama Mean For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by rebranded(m): 11:37am On Feb 24, 2011
Delta State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, Wednesday got additional four years in office, courtesy of a Federal High Court ruling in Abuja, which stopped the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from conducting governorship elections in Kogi, Sokoto, Adamawa, Cross Rivers and Bayelsa States in April because the tenure of the affected governors has not yet expired.

Reacting to the ruling, the spokesman to the INEC chairman, Mr. Kayode Idowu, said the commission was still studying the judgment. He also said the commission’s next line of action would be informed by whatever it gets from its ongoing study process of the ruling.

Uduaghan was sworn in January 10, this year after winning a re-run election, which was conducted on January 6. This followed the annulment of his 2007 election victory by a Court of Appeal, Benin City, Edo State on November 9, last year. By the judgment, the governor’s tenure expires on Jan 10, 2015.

The state government said it was delighted by the ruling which it also said had strengthened the hand of democracy.

The state Commissioner for Information, Mr. Oma Djebah, said: “The ruling has easily manifested in the wild jubilation that has engulfed the length and breadth of Delta State.  Deltans are overwhelmingly joyous that the electoral foundations of performing administration of Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan have been further reaffirmed by the judiciary.”

The court also held that the tenure of the five sitting governors - Alhaji Ibrahim Idris (Kogi); Aliyu Wammakko (Sokoto);  Murtala Nyako (Adamawa);  Liyel Imoke (Cross Rivers); and Timipre Sylva (Bayelsa) - would expire at various times other than May 29, this year.

By this judgment, Idris would leave office on April 5, 2012; Wamako would vacate office on May 28, 2012; Nyako leaves on April 30, 2012, Sylva’s tenure expires on May 29, 2012, while Imoke would vacate office on August 28, 2012

Read More: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/uduaghan-gets-four-more-years-in-office/86752/
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Fogman(m): 11:53am On Feb 24, 2011
Our constitution is seriously flawed. Imagine Uduaghan spending 8 years for a single term.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by monkeyleg: 12:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
This is shocking, and I know not likely to go down well. but we will wait and see, this Nigeria is just a fraud.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by banom(m): 1:04pm On Feb 24, 2011
So udaugbon will vacate office finally by jauary 10 2019 after second tenure, Of God Please please please grant me this kind of favor let me rule my state for 12 years in Jesus name , amen.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by onemopol: 1:08pm On Feb 24, 2011
Is this the final bus stop for this case? Cant an appeal be filed in the supreme court?
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by rebranded(m): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2011
this is sad!
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by redsun(m): 2:58pm On Feb 24, 2011
Nigerian justice system is as corrupt as nigerian politics which leaves nigeria to be nothing other than a rogue state,even though some of us like to deny it.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by monkeyleg: 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2011
What a country, I cannot understand how Uduaghan who falsely occupied Government house for 4yrs should be allowed to carry on

I guess oppossition will head to court. i just dont understand our country and the way things work, how can any sane person accept that justice has been done.

when I say the justice system is Nyash, people will say i have starte again.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by monkeyleg: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2011
redsun:

Nigerian justice system is as corrupt as nigerian politics which leaves nigeria to be nothing other than a rogue state,even though some of us like to deny it.

let us compare

Same happend in the UK, the MP was dismissed, his party keeped him out, and he was not allowed to run. Now turn on Nigeria

Governor dismissed, allowed to run, rewarded by Party (Even got blessings and endorsement from president), handed a false fraudulent victory, then comes to court to award another 4yrs. Well done Nigeria
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Becomrichn: 3:07pm On Feb 24, 2011
Fo
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by dempeople(m): 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2011
Nigeria's really a useless country. Uduaghan, when is Asaba airport resuming operations? What about Warri port and Asaba-Ughelli road? Get these ready before ending of March if you really want an economic boom in the state.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by redsun(m): 3:24pm On Feb 24, 2011
monkeyleg:

let us compare

Same happend in the UK, the MP was dismissed, his party keeped him out, and he was not allowed to run. Now turn on Nigeria

Governor dismissed, allowed to run, rewarded by Party (Even got blessings and endorsement from president), handed a false fraudulent victory, then comes to court to award another 4yrs. Well done Nigeria

Nigerians have lost track of what village gathering and responsibilities mean,talk less of democrazy on a wider

Nigerian system of government is nothing but wild wild west 21st century style,where the winner takes all at the expence of the masses

No rules,no laws,they make the rules as they go and according to how it suits their selfish and wanton needs.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by monkeyleg: 3:35pm On Feb 24, 2011
@redsun,

I have since understood that it is only wicked and selfish people who believe that anything in Nigeria works. The whole country is a Sham. everyday I look around to find positives, but honestly none.

How can this ruling be right? How can a corrupt thief like Uduaghan be handed over this sort of gift? where is the justice for the ordinary man
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 24, 2011
Delta state is ruined
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by excanny: 3:40pm On Feb 24, 2011
I thought the NASS met on this issue to amend the constitution so as to prevent these kinds of tenure elongation.

Are these judges not supposed to follow the law? I mean I understand the other cases, but Uduaghan is not supposed to get a ruling like this. The law was made before his re-run!
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by redsun(m): 3:42pm On Feb 24, 2011
Nothing works in nigeria my brother.Nigeria is a country where nothing goes for nothing,you must bribe your way to getby in nigeria,if notyou will remain trampled.

Ministers,commissioners,judges,senators,prem secs,police IG,name dem,openly and compulsorily ask for bribes to carry out their responsibilities.Is that a country?
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 24, 2011
I sorry for my beloved nigeria
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Meldrick(m): 4:20pm On Feb 24, 2011
monkeyleg:

This is shocking, and I know not likely to go down well. but we will wait and see, this Nigeria is just a fraud.
Monkey leg, I no fit shout.
Haaaaaaaa grin grin grin grin, You remember you and I had it hurt when the courts ruled out Uduaghan's election. I remember vividly you said Uduaghan will be chased out of Delta State never to return again but I told you that you lie. Uduaghan will remain Governor.
After he won the re-run, you went into hiding. Today you are lamenting how shocked you are. grin grin ;Dhahahahahah!!!!! lwkmd. I no fit shout ohhhhh.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by monkeyleg: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2011
@meldrick,

My brother i remember you said so. i had hoped that thinsg would start changing, but evidently not. The country is cowboys avenue, totally useless country, with a sham judicial system, same one that found uduaghan's brother not guilty of thief-thief
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by walcolm(m): 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2011
the court ruling for the 5 governors will not affect Uduaghan's case because the constitutional amendment was before his own annulment.

the court's position was that the amendment was after the re-run of the election of those 5 states. that amendment was in July 2010 and it states that if an election is annuled and a re-run ordered, if the incumbemt still wins the election his previous time spent will automatically count towards his tenure, delta election was annuled in November 2010 and since Uduaghan still won the re-run, his previous years must count
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by b0dnel: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2011
@OP, and All,
Delta state is not included in this drama. Uduaghan was sworn in in 2010 and not in 2008. At that time (in 2008), secion 180 has not been amended.
Get your facts and figures straight before jumping into conclusion like sahara reporters
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by walcolm(m): 4:59pm On Feb 24, 2011
@b0bnel,

was suprised at how guys on here have been going off on different tangents due to a uduaghan sponsored newspaper story

that news publication is apparently achieving its objectives
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:14pm On Feb 24, 2011
as promised grin
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Pharoh: 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2011
b0dnel:

@OP, and All,
Delta state is not included in this drama. Uduaghan was sworn in in 2010 and not in 2008. At that time (in 2008), secion 180 has not been amended.
Get your facts and figures straight before jumping into conclusion like sahara reporters

Nah you are the one getting it wrong brother, uduaghan just got another four years which serves as a new first term. The constitution is very clear, the previous election and tenure has been canceled so it does not apply to the re-run election. His election was declared null last year November before the this amended law came into effect in January 2011.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Tsiya(m): 8:16pm On Feb 24, 2011
The main problem with our laws is that people that are guilty of electoral fraud are immune from prosecution. In an ideal/good justice system, when an election is declared null, there is need for the public prosecutor to move in an investigate if there is any fraud involve, and the said aspirant should be prosecuted rather than annulling the election and then conducting another one with the same candidate.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 25, 2011
Tsiya:

The main problem with our laws is that people that are guilty of electoral fraud are immune from prosecution. In an ideal/good justice system, when an election is declared null, there is need for the public prosecutor to move in an investigate if there is any fraud involve, and the said aspirant should be prosecuted rather than annulling the election and then conducting another one with the same candidate.

Nigeria is a nation in ruins, nothing is done properly
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by 1025: 12:00pm On Feb 25, 2011
why can we come together with one voice and shout DEATH TO PDP AND DEATH TO CORRUPTION?
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Pharoh: 1:31pm On Feb 25, 2011
1025:

why can we come together with one voice and shout DEATH TO PDP AND DEATH TO CORRUPTION?

How can you honestly blame PDP for uduaghan getting another four years?.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by blacksta(m): 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2011
Pharoh:

Nah you are the one getting it wrong brother, uduaghan just got another four years which serves as a new first term. The constitution is very clear, the previous election and tenure has been canceled so it does not apply to the re-run election. His election was declared null last year November before the this amended law came into effect in January 2011.

Mr Pharoh . Amendment and signing was done in 2010 and not January 2011
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Pharoh: 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2011
blacksta:

Mr Pharoh . Amendment and signing was done in 2010 and not January 2011

Yes you are very correct but it did not became an effective law until the president gave his ascent to it in January 2011. The delta state governor gets another four years because the previous election result was terminated in November 2010. The previous term also does not count to the mandate he got from the re-run election which he won as well. It is very clear brother because he has just been granted a ticket for another eight years taking the total to twelve years. Fix the constitution and that's the job of the national assembly but they are sleeping and collecting fat salaries.
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 25, 2011
embarassed @ post

NB; THE TENURE ELONGATION ONLY AFFECTS THOSE THAT WERE SWORN IN BEFORE THE 2010 ELECTORAL ACT WAS PASSED

angry @ POSTER
Re: Uduaghan Gets Four More Years In Office by obataala(m): 8:20pm On Feb 25, 2011
b0dnel:

@OP, and All,

Pharoh:

the decision of the court was that there was neither an election nor there was winner. so you cannot be talking about a first tenure where election was never held.although uduaghan might be benefiting from the flaws of the constitution and barbaric judicial system as obtained in the country,it was never a crime to exploit any lapses created by a law so far the act is done within the ambit of the law.
the amended constitution should have been able to correct this lapses if all its provisions are assented to by the president or, that which relates to electioneering because the provision of the constitution will over-shadow that of any other law.sadly enough constitution reign supreme.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ayo Oritsejafor Is Biased May God Forgive Him / Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration / GEJ Inauguration To Gulp 5 Billion Naira!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.