Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,303 members, 7,836,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue (1694 Views)

7000 People Displaced In Benue And Other Emerging Facts / Two Killed, 1,500 Displaced In Fulani, Gwari Clash In Abuja / 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Chyz2: 2:08am On Feb 25, 2011
[size=15pt]Tiv/Fulani crises: 36 dead, 10,000 displaced in Benue
[/size]
News Feb 25, 2011

By Peter Duru

MAKURDI — No fewer than 36 persons have lost their lives while many more are yet to be accounted for in Naka, Gwer West local Government area following a violent clash between the native Tiv communities and Fulani herdsmen.

Similarly, about 10,000 persons have been displaced in Naka, Gwer West local Government area following a violent clash between the native Tiv communities and Fulani herdsmen.

While over 900 houses, huts and several farmland were also destroyed by the rampaging Fulani herdsmen who were alleged to be mercenaries from neighboring Nassarawa State.

The Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Relief Agency SEMA, Mr. Adikpo Agbase, disclosed this when he undertook an on the spot assessment of the level of destruction in the area.

Agbase who lamented the level of destruction in the affected communities, pleaded with the National Emergency Relief Agency, NEMA, to “come to the aid of the displaced communities who are now living in despair in Naka town.”

According to him, the destruction in the communities was beyond his agency hence the need for assistance from public spirited individuals to alleviate the suffering of the people.

According to him: “What has happened in these communities is simply unbelievable. The level of destruction is shocking and mind-boggling. It is simply beyond our scope and capacity and that is why we are calling for assistance from public spirited individuals to aid the rehabilitation of the displaced people and reconstruction of the affected communities.”

He disclosed that SEMA had started moving relief materials to the affected persons with a view to giving them new lease of life.

He pleaded with security operatives to continue to avail the displaced persons adequate protection in order to avert further destruction and loss of lives in the communities.

Vanguard gathered that at last count, over 36 persons have lost their lives in the violent clash while several persons are still unaccounted for.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/tivfulani-crises-36-dead-10000-displaced-in-benue/
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by ekubear1: 2:14am On Feb 25, 2011
Chyz*:

While over 900 houses, huts and several farmland were also destroyed by the rampaging Fulani herdsmen who were alleged to be mercenaries from neighboring Nassarawa State.

Seems to be ominous, no? Who is paying the salary of this military force?
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Chyz2: 2:23am On Feb 25, 2011
As you can see, the usual excuse of "they killed one of the herdsmen's cattle" holds no water anymore.This is a clear case of land grab and conquest.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Beaf: 2:28am On Feb 25, 2011
angry angry angry angry
[size=14pt]Ban nomadic cattle rearing once and for all. We are not in the stone age.[/size]
After that, if any cattle rearer is found outside his state or designated farm area, shoot the fvker like a thief.

Enough is enough.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by EzeUche2(m): 2:32am On Feb 25, 2011
This is getting a little too close for home! The Tiv are still providing a bulwark for the East though. These Tiv people are warriors like no other. Most people do not know the story of the Tiv and how valiantly their kingdom fought off the Fulani. They fought them to a bloody stalemate, but at such a high cost.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by aljharem(m): 2:34am On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

angry angry angry angry
[size=14pt]Ban nomadic cattle rearing once and for all. We are not in the stone age.[/size]
After that, if any cattle rearer is found outside his state or designated farm area, shoot the fvker like a thief.

Enough is enough.

and did they tell you they are not stone age as well angry angry angry angry
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by jason123: 2:34am On Feb 25, 2011
Nomadic grazing is the cause of all this. The sooner they stop that tradition, the better except it is a form of expansionism undecided
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by jason123: 2:35am On Feb 25, 2011
alj harem:

and did they tell you they are not stone age as well angry angry angry angry

Alh Harem, what is bad is bad! No matter how you suger coat it. Nomadic grazing might cause the next war it care is not taken.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by ekubear1: 2:43am On Feb 25, 2011
I wonder what GEJ thinks of his countrymen being slaughtered by mercenaries.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Chyz2: 2:44am On Feb 25, 2011
eku_bear:

Makes you wonder if he even reads the newspaper.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by jason123: 2:45am On Feb 25, 2011
eku_bear:

Lol. After the election, he would "find" a solution. wink
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Chyz2: 2:58am On Feb 25, 2011
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Beaf: 3:04am On Feb 25, 2011
eku_bear:

What do you think of your countrymen being killed by mercenaries? You think they are political toys?
In the US where you live, do you ask what Obama thinks of random shootings in Alabama or Ohio?
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by jason123: 3:06am On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

What do you think of your countrymen being killed by mercenaries? You think they are political toys?
In the US where you live, do you ask what Obama thinks o[b]f random shootings [/b]in Alabama or Ohio?

There is nothing random about these killings . . . . . people are not stupid, you know?
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by ekubear1: 3:11am On Feb 25, 2011
Beaf:

I think I've made it pretty clear that it disturbs me. And not only by thought, but by actually saying it publicly. Unfortunately, GEJ doesn't seem interested in using his public stature to publicly condemn these killings.

In the US where you live, do you ask what Obama thinks of random shootings in Alabama or Ohio?
^-- I don't have to. Generally when people here are slaughtered or large-scale disaster happens, I don't have to ask Obama to speak out. He'll do so without prompting. He won't ask for Americans to pray that the disaster doesn't happen again, instead he:
A) acts to prevent it from happening again.
B) aids those who were hurt.

If he were the type of leader to instead:
A) Fold his hands as the disaster becomes a weekly occurrence
B) Do/say nothing to help those negatively affected

I doubt he'd be very popular.

Beaf, you should have known better than to compare GEJ to Obama  grin
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Beaf: 3:22am On Feb 25, 2011
^
Perhaps you've been prompting GEJ to speak?
I believe you don't even know what Nigeria looks like anymore thats why you made the above grossly ignorant statements. Where do you get your news, by gossip only?
It is disgusting and heartless to use the deaths of innocent people as a political football. Some of you people are really callous beyond words.

I really don't think you can appreciate how you come across.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Nobody: 3:24am On Feb 25, 2011
i am tired of all these crises o.

what on earth is going on over there.

lord have mercy.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by ekubear1: 3:26am On Feb 25, 2011
Sigh. You'll avoid the meat of the criticism and feign outrage over something that didn't even occur (me using this for political purposes. . . at the end of the day I'll likely support GEJ.)

In any case, a spade is a spade.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Beaf: 3:33am On Feb 25, 2011
eku_bear:

Sigh. You'll avoid the meat of the criticism and feign outrage over something that didn't even occur (me using this for political purposes. . . at the end of the day I'll likely support GEJ.)

In any case, a spade is a spade.

Seriously, it really doesn't matter if you end up supporting GEJ. I'm just concerned about the morals we express on NL, each time people die it seems the average NLer views them as mere numbers to be stacked on either side of a political calculation.

That said, I aplogise if that was not your intention.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by Nobody: 8:01am On Feb 25, 2011
It does not matter who is in charge of the Presidency.

It was during Abacha that my Igbo Bros, Mr. Akaluka was beheaded and his head put on a spike and was used as a gift for Allah with dance and songs round the streets of Kano.

Those blaming Mr. President for the Huasa/Fulani Jihadists conquest started by Usman Dan Fodio should have their heads examined.

Now back to the issue, I think the Hausa/Fulani should be restricted to their core states until further notice.
Re: Tiv/fulani Crises: 36 Dead, 10,000 Displaced In Benue by joeyfire(m): 10:05am On Feb 25, 2011
900 huts? WTF!! Thats civil war

(1) (Reply)

April Polls: Acn, Cpc, Anpp Plan To Stop Pdp / Yoruba,Igbo and hausa :One Nigeria / Is Nigeria A Fragile And Failed State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.