Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,924 members, 7,821,239 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

What Causes Snail To Bloat? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Causes Snail To Bloat? (1267 Views)

Here Are Some Signs That Your Catfish May Have Bloat: / Snail Feed And Feeding / Buy Snail Available Forsale In Large Quantity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Causes Snail To Bloat? by NGsnails: 8:45am On Sep 14, 2020
"How come nobody told me all these things? sadWhich one is this again? cry But they said snail farming is the easiest of all livestock farming! � Now tell me what happened, cos I'm getting tired already" � These were the series of questions being thrown at me, by a "new farmer" and I really felt so bad for her�.

Go back again and check the pictures; this time, s l o w l y✍️, that is called BLOATING.✍️�

BLOATING is when a swelling occured on the skin of the snail, making it impossible for it to retract the skin inside its shell; which may lead to its death on the long run.
There are 2 major cause of bloating but for today, I'll only be discussing an aspect; FEEDING

You see; snails may get greedy at times, and they show greed when served with food high in Crude Protein Content or Starch (carb) Content
That's the reason I patiently dwell on feeding techniques in MODULE FOUR of our e-Learning, demonstration class. (You follow this link www.ngsnails.com/course to access it)
-
Over consumption of starchy food like maize, sorghum, millet, yam, cocoyam, potatoes etc; will make it difficult for the snail to digest the food and lead to bloating.✍️
Invariably, a poorly formulated feed can cause bloating too; more reason I always recommend you buy your snail feed from trusted, reputable feed producers.

Since FOOD BLOATING is caused by "over eating" it makes the snails expend all its energy, trying to forcefully retract into its shell; 95% of bloat cases lead to mortality. Isolation and depriving the snail food is a way to cure them of this tragedy.
-
Always remember, PREVENTION is better than CURE! Ensure you are more careful in your feeding techniques.

Do have a great week
Have more questions? Drop it in the comment box.

1 Like

Re: What Causes Snail To Bloat? by Lucrativress(f): 4:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
Good work you're doing there kiss
Apart from that,reduce the water content in the soil,they suck up moisture from the soil also,so when it's too damp,it also causes bloating.Sorry for the counter but snails don't bloat from over eating,cause they stop eating when they're full,well fed optimum fed snail would rather have a sturdy meat portruding out to like 1inch or more rather than bloat to death but what do I know?maybe I should keep shut,sorry for the intrusion

1 Like

Re: What Causes Snail To Bloat? by NGsnails: 5:48pm On Sep 14, 2020
Your submissions are correct; snails do bloat when exposed to too much water but much more; the first cause of bloating is indigestion.

Lucrativress:
Good work you're doing there kiss
Apart from that,reduce the water content in the soil,they suck up moisture from the soil also,so when it's too damp,it also causes bloating.Sorry for the counter but snails don't bloat from over eating,cause they stop eating when they're full,well fed optimum fed snail would rather have a sturdy meat portruding out to like 1inch or more rather than bloat to death but what do I know?maybe I should keep shut,sorry for the intrusion

(1) (Reply)

I have bags of 50kg clean local rice for sale 21k each in wholesales so troopin / I Buy Emty Feed Sack In Ibadan / Catfish Fingerlings And Post Fingerlings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.