Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,253 members, 7,822,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Is this Why Students Fail Exams? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is this Why Students Fail Exams? (29866 Views)

The Entire Final Year Biochemistry Students Fail An Exam In #EKSU / 6 Reasons Students Fail Examination Despite Studying / Here Are 11 Good Reasons Why Students Fail Jamb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Teacher4Life: 8:41pm On Sep 15, 2020
Some years ago, while conducting a workshop for a group of educators in Kaduna, I asked a question. "Why do students fail?" The reasons provided by these educators were numerous, but also quite logical. Some of these reasons include poor teaching, laziness on the part of students, inattentiveness, ignorance, social media, parents, exam malpractice, learning disability, peer pressure etc. As I listened to those educators reel out these factors and lots more, it became clear to me that all these reasons had one common denominator, that is, poor learning or no learning at all. Students record poor academic performance when learning is either insufficient or at zero level.

Over time, I came up with a working definition for learning. Learning is the process of converting external ideas or concepts into personal and secure information. Students who thrive well academically have simply learnt how to convert external concepts into personal and secure information. In other words, such students now own the information. Of course, you can convert concepts in a thousand and one ways, depending on individual differences.

Learning is not cramming. In cramming, students secure the information but don't personalise it, and so it never lasts. You can personalise information by paying attention to the why, what, how, where etc. of the concept from which the information is derived, not by cramming. I do not outrightly condemn cramming, however, learning holds greater benefits. Cramming can be done hastily, but true learning takes time. So, learning entails asking relevant questions. In fact, it's a process, not an event.

Teacher4Life

126 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by paulolee(m): 8:12am On Sep 16, 2020
nice post..

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Veiniously: 11:00am On Sep 16, 2020
Nice one

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Emirett: 9:59pm On Oct 02, 2020
Great info, thanks for sharing. Usually, I study for exams the night before. Most often I pass exams.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Teacher4Life: 8:31pm On Oct 28, 2020
Well, Emirett, I agree about passing exams even if you read a night before such exams. But the big question is, are you really learning by doing so? I don't think so. There is a huge difference between passing exams and learning. What you're doing is actually cramming. As a teacher, my goal is to help my students to not just pass exams but also to learn. I hope this answers your question.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Victor20206: 9:30pm On Oct 28, 2020
my is i'm having serious lssu with spellings... don't know how to over come that.

9 Likes

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Stargurl20(f): 9:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
More power to your elbow.
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Veiniously: 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2020
Victor20206:
my is i'm having serious lssu with spellings... don't know how to over come that.
How old are u? And your level in school

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Patrickyemi: 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
Really
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by slawormiir: 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
damnnn niggarrrr
Bros op all these long talk nor too much

The reason why students fail exam is because the systems was designed for students to fail

Victor20206:
First of all do away with abbreviations of words in anything you are doing be it chatting or whatever

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Viktoreze(m): 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
“Find out where the people are going and buy the land before they get there.” ~William Penn Adair

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Abatemtem(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
Our system no support learning.

2 Likes

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Quitam: 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2020
La pour, la cram, la forget. That's how the system works here

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by achymmania: 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
We get y.
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Viktoreze(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Victor20206:
You can expand your knowledge of English vocabulary by developing the habit of reading novels and inspirational/motivational books. While doing so keep a dictionary close by, so you can look up words which seem strange.

Secondly watch more of American/English movies that are subtitled in English. Doing these two things have really helped me with spellings, pronunciation, tenses and sentence construction.

God bless you smiley

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by primestreams: 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
grin Cram and pass

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Authority1o1(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Okay...

Dear Original Poster,

Those reasons up there are just a product of dogmatic Nigerian belief.

None of them is plausible enough.( I respect your opinion,however)

A very solid but yet overlooked reason why students fail is founded on the level of parental interest.

Parents are fundamentally responsible for the failure and success of their wards in that, the amount of interest you put into their academics, the amount they relay to their studies.

You're a teacher, Research.

A great deal of students whose parents are less interested in their works fail. What do they have to lose?

But students from households of almost-excessively interested parents do well.
First to impress them, secondly, because they can't seem to help it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Because we have placed a high pedestal on grades alone so students prefer to go straight to the point without caring to know that's why a lot read only when exam is close which shouldn't be

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by AFULA(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2020
Okay
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Benzinoooo: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
Spot-on
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Montanato: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
Ask gog
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by kemaj002: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
nawao
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by boman2014: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
okay
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Mannylex(m): 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2020
All this one is just long story. Some students are just naturally dull in respect to Academic work no matter how hard the teacher or student tries.

I have seen people terribly woeful academically but they are smart and sound in technical or dexterous activities.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by tstx(m): 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Hmm
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by Toyade888(m): 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Exactly
Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by JIMMY1393: 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
Nigeria and it's useless education ....la cram la pour....I remember then during exam periods especially on the day of exam you will see some guys walking to and fro uttering and mummerinh words to themselves... it will look as if they are praying meanwhile dudes are reciting what they read over and over so it sticks...1 week after and they can't remember shit...I always hated Nigeria and it's education system...it was when I wrote A level exams I knew the difference between Nigeria and american education is wide

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is this Why Students Fail Exams? by anayolity: 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2020
There are too many useless subjects for one student.... let them merge some subjects for students to learn effectively , especially for Tertiary institutions... most lecturers just want to sell their boring textbooks.

Students become stressed out when they learn without space or any vocational activity or practical, seriously, studying in Nigeria is boring and nah strong head we dey take learn for here, even most things we know sef was not taught in school, we just picked them along the way, most of our teachers are not creative, innovative, just come in read their textbooks, frown face and look for the next student to fail.

During my school days, i chose the lecturers i attend their classes...... i cant be wasting my life sitting and yawning..... during exams someone will be studying for 15 courses of which almost 8 are useless and the same thing with the others... Nah textbook we dey use complete the rest

Shout out to all the teachers making it happen despite the meagre salaries they receive , God bless you real good here on Earth and abundantly in Heaven.

Sorry if this doesnt relate to the topic undecided undecided undecided ... I dey vex angry angry angry

24 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Was Really Suprised By Jamb With 307 As My Score / Can A Person Lose His Sanity Due To Excess Reading? / More Students Of OOU Fainted During GNS Exam Today At The ICT Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.