Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:59 AM

MEXT Scholarship Update - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / MEXT Scholarship Update (7406 Views)

Has Anyone Here Won The MEXT Japanese Scholarship, Please Share Experience. / Japan Mext Scholarship Preparation / Study In Japan: 2018/2019 Japan Government Monbukagakusho (mext) Scholarship (th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 10:55pm On May 01, 2021
BelieverDE:

I applied for my transcript in my University and it was attested by the Academic Affairs Division. However, I heard our documents needs to be notarized in a court, how true is it that?

I have actually not heard about the court notarization development, nor did I read it on the website.

I don't know the degree prog. you are applying for but you can read part 7 of the article attached

Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 11:03pm On May 01, 2021
AlexIsioma:

Thanks for this. I have a well signed Statement of Result.
Ok. But try to work on your transcript too, peradventure you get selected. It will be a must to present it.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 11:11pm On May 01, 2021
Has anyone seen and known how to complete the medical health certificate. I think it's somehow cumbersome
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Guru9ja(m): 5:38am On May 02, 2021
kCatalyst:

Check my previous thread, the link has been posted
ok
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 6:01am On May 02, 2021
kCatalyst:
Has anyone seen and known how to complete the medical health certificate. I think it's somehow cumbersome
It is indeed cumbersome. It's to be filled by a health professional. Is it necessary for it to be stamped?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 6:08am On May 02, 2021
kCatalyst:

I have actually not heard about the court notarization development, nor did I read it on the website.

I don't know the degree prog. you are applying for but you can read part 7 of the article attached

I have carefully read the application guideline and it's not stated anywhere that documents should be notarized!

Though, a current scholar I interacted with on Twitter said he notarized his transcript and degree certificate.

I have scheduled a mail to be sent to email provided on the flyer on the embassy website, inquiring if the notarization of documents is compulsory.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by ahmad602: 7:24am On May 02, 2021
eclint:
Hi guys!
I just got an email that I have been shortlisted for the scholarship.
Anyone else?

I think this the person I need. Anybody with this person's contact should please share.He got shortlisted, he is therefore the only guide with the experience.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 1:11pm On May 02, 2021
BelieverDE:

It is indeed cumbersome. It's to be filled by a health professional. Is it necessary for it to be stamped?

I don't think so. But the physician has a place to sign and write out their office name.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 1:13pm On May 02, 2021
BelieverDE:

I have carefully read the application guideline and it's not stated anywhere that documents should be notarized!

Though, a current scholar I interacted with on Twitter said he notarized his transcript and degree certificate.

I have scheduled a mail to be sent to email provided on the flyer on the embassy website, inquiring if the notarization of documents is compulsory.

Ok, good. Let's see what they say. I hope you added that "should it be notarized by a court"
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 1:24pm On May 02, 2021
kCatalyst:

Ok, good. Let's see what they say. I hope you added that "should it be notarized by a court"
Yes, I did!
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Semtu(m): 1:47pm On May 02, 2021
For your medical certificate, just go to a federal or military hospital. The tests are very cheap there. I did all the tests for less than 5k last week and the results are already out. I’m going back on Tuesday, so the doctor will fill the results of the tests on the form, then get it stamped by the MD.

All my documents are ready. Once I finalize my research plan writeup, I’ll be set for submission. Please what’s the most efficient postal service in Nigeria, in terms of cost and reliability?

Also I want to ask that in the section for English language proficiency on the application form, I am a native English speaker and I’ve also done IELTS.. I think we are meant to pick just one, so should I fill in that I am a native speaker or make use of my IELTS result?

Likewise in the section for Japanese language proficiency, I know nothing about Japanese language. We were told to rate ourselves between 0-3, if I pick 0 in all, does it affect anything? Or should I lie and rate myself higher?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by unity004(m): 2:41pm On May 02, 2021
Semtu:
For your medical certificate, just go to a federal or military hospital. The tests are very cheap there. I did all the tests for less than 5k last week and the results are already out. I’m going back on Tuesday, so the doctor will fill the results of the tests on the form, then get it stamped by the MD.

All my documents are ready. Once I finalize my research plan writeup, I’ll be set for submission. Please what’s the most efficient postal service in Nigeria, in terms of cost and reliability?

Also I want to ask that in the section for English language proficiency on the application form, I am a native English speaker and I’ve also done IELTS.. I think we are meant to pick just one, so should I fill in that I am a native speaker or make use of my IELTS result?

Likewise in the section for Japanese language proficiency, I know nothing about Japanese language. We were told to rate ourselves between 0-3, if I pick 0 in all, does it affect anything? Or should I lie and rate myself higher?
. when you lie and rate ur Japanese language high, hope you will be able to respond when they decide to interview you in Japanese at the embassy

2 Likes

Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by ahmad602: 3:18pm On May 02, 2021
Please is Law course eligible for MEXT? if So, do I still need to send cold emails to Professors?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 3:50pm On May 02, 2021
Semtu:

For postal service, a current scholar advised we should use DHL because it's reliable. NIPOST is quite cheap, but I don't know if it's reliable

I believe IELTS will give you a leverage, especially if the score is high, otherwise, just write "NATIVE SPEAKER"

Japan Language Proficiency doesn't really affect one's chances of securing the scholarship except the course the individual is going for requires heavy knowledge of Japanese, such as International Relations, Journalism, etc

Just be honest!
Even when called for the first screening interview, you'll write a Japanese exam. The exam is basically just to assess your knowledge of the language and to know how long you would be placed for preparatory course.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 4:07pm On May 02, 2021
Semtu:

How did you go about it?
Could you please guide me?
What did you tell the front desk officer that you wanted to do when you walked into the clinic/hospital? You know how they'll start giving outrageous amounts when you tell them you need it for a scholarship.

Did they run a radiological scan on you?

I apologise for my numerous questions
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Semtu(m): 5:38pm On May 02, 2021
BelieverDE:

For postal service, a current scholar advised we should use DHL because it's reliable. NIPOST is quite cheap, but I don't know if it's reliable

I believe IELTS will give you a leverage, especially if the score is high, otherwise, go write NATIVE SPEAKER

Japan Language Proficiency doesn't really affect one's chances of securing the scholarship except the course the individual is going for requires heavy knowledge of Japanese, such International Relations, Journalism, etc

Just be honest!
Even when called for the first screening interview, you'll write a Japanese exam. The exam is basically just to assess your knowledge of the language and to know how long you would be placed for preparatory course.

Okay thanks.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Semtu(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2021
BelieverDE:

How did you go about it?
Could you please guide me?
What did you tell the front desk officer that you wanted to do when you walked into the clinic/hospital? You know how they'll start giving outrageous amounts when you tell them you need it for a scholarship.

Did they run a radiological scan on you?

I apologise for my numerous questions

Go to any hospital around (federal hospitals preferably to get it done cheaper). Ask to meet with a doctor, show the medical form to the doctor. The doctor will look at all the tests you need to do as written on the form then direct you to the hospital’s laboratories to carry out the test. Then just keep on visiting the laboratories till the tests results are ready. Once all tests results are ready, then you’ll go back to the doctor. The doctor will finally fill the results on the form.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 7:24pm On May 02, 2021
Semtu:

Go to any hospital around (federal hospitals preferably to get it done cheaper). Ask to meet with a doctor, show the medical form to the doctor. The doctor will look at all the tests you need to do as written on the form then direct you to the hospital’s laboratories to carry out the test. Then just keep on visiting the laboratories till the tests results are ready. Once all tests results are ready, then you’ll go back to the doctor. The doctor will finally fill the results on the form.
Oh, I see!
Thank you!
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by kCatalyst: 10:50pm On May 02, 2021
Semtu:

Ok nice one.

for the language part: I think you can fill in the part 21 of the application form as "self rated score" to qualify you as a proficient user of English, while you still input your IELTS score in part 23

I won't advise you to lie on the Japanese language. Even if it's 0, it shouldn't affect you for first screening as seen in the guideline. It is the next screening/stage after this first submission or so that will require you to have a minimum knowledge.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by wisemrtortoise: 12:17pm On May 03, 2021
i have a sample of the filled form and a book on how to apply if anyone's interested. currently doing my NYSC, so i will start preparing against next year. email me for the materials, and good luck

2 Likes

Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Onekind04(m): 2:11pm On May 03, 2021
please bro can we connct?
eclint:
Hi guys!
I just got an email that I have been shortlisted for the scholarship.
Anyone else?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by unity004(m): 10:55pm On May 03, 2021
wisemrtortoise:
i have a sample of the filled form and a book on how to apply if anyone's interested. currently doing my NYSC, so i will start preparing against next year. email me for the materials, and good luck
I have sent you a message via email. my email is unitybibinu@gmail.com
thanks in advance
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by QcMackinto: 10:04am On May 04, 2021
Please, is it only Degree certificate we are to authorize?
Also, my Certificate and have Signature of the registrar while my transcript(not student copy) is signed and stamped too. If i make a coloured copy of the two, will that be okay?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 3:35pm On May 06, 2021
Semtu:

Bro embarassed

I paid 5k for X-ray, 5k for LFT and 1k for ESR. I was directed to a centre for the tests.

I'll have to go to the centre tomorrow for the LFT result. The doctor at the hospital jokingly said to her, "How much should we take from him? 5k?"

Bro, I think I'll have to find another doctor in a private hospital to fill the form.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Semtu(m): 5:30pm On May 06, 2021
BelieverDE:

Bro embarassed

I paid 5k for X-ray, 5k for LFT and 1k for ESR. I was directed to a centre for the tests.

I'll have to go to the centre tomorrow for the LFT result. The doctor at the hospital jokingly said to her, "How much should we take from him? 5k?"

Bro, I think I'll have to find another doctor in a private hospital to fill the form.

Wow, too expensive na.. Which hospital is it? Is it a government hospital?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by QcMackinto: 9:17am On May 07, 2021
Semtu:

Please is how did you deal with your transcripts. Can I use a copy of my student copy and then notorize it?
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by BelieverDE: 12:14pm On May 07, 2021
Semtu:

It's an hospital owned by the state government
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by DarkPheonix: 5:54pm On May 07, 2021
Hello house, I want to apply for the undergraduate Scholarship but this is confusing "The date of issue of the certificates should
be no earlier than two years from the date of application to the Japanese diplomatic mission" does this mean I can't apply with a 2017 WAEC result?
Please I need urgent answer, I have spend money getting medical and transcript before I noticed this phrase.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by wisemrtortoise: 3:19pm On May 08, 2021
[center]The Biggest Mistake MEXT Applicants Make - By Travis Senzaki[/center]

By now, maybe you're wondering why I'm doing this. I told you before that I'm not eligible for the MEXT scholarship (I'm a permanent resident of Japan), so I'm not researching this for my own good. What's in it for me?

That may sound like a strange thing to ask you, but it's a very important question to ask in any situation, and it is critically important to your application success. (Not my reasons, specifically, but asking the question.)

[center]The Single Biggest Mistake[/center]

A couple days ago, I promised to tell you the single biggest mistake I have seen in MEXT applications. It's simple: Most applicants never think about what's in it for the other person. Too many people approach this application as if it's all about them. It's so they can get a scholarship to pursue their dream.

Yes, of course, that's why you're applying, but in order to maximize your chances to get the scholarship and pursue your dream, you need to think differently. You need to think about what's in it for everyone else.

What's in it for the professor you ask to be your advisor? What's in it for the administrator who processes your application and spends their time answering your questions? Why should they want to choose you over any other applicant?

If you keep those questions in mind as you write your emails and your Field of Study and Research Program Plan, you increase your chances of success. Write to make your professor want you in his lab, because you'll make a more significant contribution to his research than any other applicant. Write to make the administrator want you for a student, because you're self-sufficient, respectful, and not going to cause problems after you arrive.

That's the single most important mindset shift I can suggest for MEXT applicants: think about the application process like you are a professional and the people you are contacting are your future peers and colleagues. When you succeed in your application you will be working together every day with the people you are applying to. Start building a relationship now based on mutual respect, understanding, and professionalism.

[center]What's in it for Me?[/center]

So now, what's in it for me? I used to process these applications for my job. I would see dozens of promising MEXT applicants each year ruin their chances by making a poor first impression or screwing up something simple on the application. Even though they might have had exciting research ideas and been able to make a huge contribution in the future, they got in their own way.

Back then, even as much as I wanted to help correct them, I couldn't because that would be unfair to the other applicants and could get me fired.

On the other side of the spectrum, I saw applicants pour all their desperate hope into the application and spend huge amounts of money on postage and testing, when they never really had a chance to begin with. But I wasn't allowed to tell them that because I didn't have decision authority.

It was heartbreaking in both cases. Studying abroad in Japan changed my life and I want to help applicants who are truly passionate about making a difference have the same experience. Likewise, while it is more difficult, I want to help guide those applicants with no chance to either improve their chances for a future application or focus on a more beneficial path.

That's what's in it for me. But I'm not the one you need to worry about. Start thinking today about what's in it for the Japanese Embassy, University, and professor and you'll put yourself head and shoulders about most of the other applicants out there!

Good Luck!
- Travis from TranSenz

PS, I mentioned above that some applicants never had a chance in the application. A big part of that was because of the eligibility criteria - including the criteria that are not publicized. I'll write again soon to talk about a few of the most challenging eligibility criteria and to walk you through understanding them better.
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by wisemrtortoise: 3:23pm On May 08, 2021
MEXT Scholarship: The Differences Between Embassy and University Recommendation - by Travis Senzaki

Application Timeline

Ultimately, I recommend that you apply first for whichever application process is open next, so we'll talk about the application timing first.

But before we do that, please understand that the dates below are when the official application process begins. In reality, you should be preparing several months in advance in order to give yourself the best chance of success!

The Embassy Recommendation Application

The Embassy Recommendation application process starts in April or May of the year before you will arrive in Japan. So, if you want to start your studies in Japan in 2019, for example, you would need to start your application at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country in April of 2018.

The University Recommendation Application

The University Recommendation application process typically starts between September and November of the year before you will arrive in Japan.

General Rule

If you are reading this message between late November and mid-May, I would recommend that you apply for the Embassy Recommendation first. If you are reading this between late May and early November, then I recommend applying for the University Recommendation, first.

Advantages and Disadvantages

In addition to the application timeline, there are a few important differences between the application processes that offer advantages and disadvantages, so that might influence your decision, as well. Here are a few of them:

Competition and Number of Scholarships Available

In general, the competition level is going to be lower for the Embassy Recommendation application. The competition letter is still high - you still have to do your best in the application - but there should be more slots available for you and you will only be competing against other applicants from your home country.

*The exception to this rule is Priority Graduate Programs (PGP). PGPs are a type of University Recommendation programs with narrow eligibility requirements. If you meet the requirements for one of these programs, then your chances are significantly higher of winning the scholarship. For more about those, see the link to the University Recommendation Application Process article below!

Cost

In general, the Embassy Recommendation process is going to cost you less, at least at first. For the University Recommendation, you would be required to submit official language proficiency test scores (those tests can be expensive) and you have to send all of your application documents to Japan by courier, which is also expensive.

For the Embassy Recommendation, you would only have to pay to travel back and forth to the embassy to turn in documents, take tests, and participate in the interview at first. Although you might later have to send application documents to the university by courier, it would be after you pass the primary screening, so at that point, you would know that you were practically guaranteed to receive the scholarship!

Transparency and Application Freedom

The University Recommendation application offers a little more transparency and freedom in many cases. For the Embassy Recommendation, the local embassy may limit the fields of study that you can apply for. Your local government may also be involved in the selection process or impose other requirements.

If you apply for University Recommendation, however, you are free to choose any field offered by any university in Japan and the university is the only one screening your application, so there will be no government interference.

Choice

In the Embassy Recommendation application process, you apply to up to three universities in Japan, and MEXT chooses which one to place you in. In the University Recommendation, you apply to only one university, so you would know for sure where you will study!
Re: MEXT Scholarship Update by Semtu(m): 6:36pm On May 08, 2021
QcMackinto:

Please is how did you deal with your transcripts. Can I use a copy of my student copy and then notorize it?

I believe so. But I have access to my official transcript, that’s the one I’m making use of

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How to Become a Chartered Accountant (Concluding Part) / PTDF INTERVIEW QUESTIONS / BEAUTY OF THE WILD WORLD.[PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.