Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,565 members, 7,955,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:45 PM

Star Wars’ Liam Neeson Defends Jar Jar Banks Actor - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Star Wars’ Liam Neeson Defends Jar Jar Banks Actor (195 Views)

Thriller: ‘movie Blacklight’ Liam Neeson Whooping Bad Guys / Comedian Liam Breunle Death - Obituary | Liam Breunle Obituary Has Died / All 36 notable characters in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi,' Let's Rank Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Star Wars’ Liam Neeson Defends Jar Jar Banks Actor by carrolpty: 1:30pm On Sep 16, 2020
While 1999’s Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace brought the Star Wars franchise back to the big screen after over a decade away and was a box office success, it still ranks as one of the most polarizing movies in the saga set in a galaxy far, far away. Among The Phantom Menace’s most critiqued elements was goofball Gungan Jar Jar Binks, who was played by Ahmed Best.

In the years following The Phantom Menace’s release, Ahmed Best struggled with the hate that was thrown his way, to the point that he once considered ending his life. Costar Liam Neeson, who played Qui-Gon Jinn, recently came to Best’s defense by fondly recalling his time with the actor on the set of the Star Wars prequel. In Neeson’s words:

It really hurt his career. And I have to say when I was making that film… he was probably one of the funniest guys and talented guys I had ever worked with. I remember calling my old ex-agent at ICM and said, 'I think I just worked with the new Eddie Murphy.' I still believe that. Truly, he had all of his in stitches — including George Lucas. But I liked the movie.

Liam Neeson brought up Ahmed Best while discussing Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace during his recent appearance on Radio Andy, with the actor saying how he was consistently impressed by him during the making of the first Star Wars prequel. Neeson also noted that he heard that Best was met with a standing ovation during an appearance at a Star Wars Celebration within the last couple years.

It’s unfortunate that Ahmed Best received so much hostility because of his Jar Jar Binks performance in the immediate years after The Phantom Menace’s release, but in recent years, it appears it’s been quite the opposite. Along with the ovation Liam Neeson, a lot of people came to Best’s support when he shared his struggle with suicide. That’s not to say there aren’t still Jar Jar Binks haters out there, but that doesn’t mean Best ever needed to take the brunt of their dissatisfaction.

As far as his overall feelings on Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace go, Liam Neeson said despite “a lot of fans and critics” not liking the movie, he’s “proud” of it. While The Phantom Menace saw Qui-Gon Jinn being fatally stabbed by Darth Maul, Neeson went on to vocally cameo as the character in Attack of the Clones and The Rise of Skywalker, as well as prominently voice him in three episodes of The Clone Wars.

(1) (Reply)

Kick Start Your Career In Nollywood Today / Musical Reality Shows That Thrilled Nigerians This Decade, Where Are They? / 'bad Police': Stephanie Linus Drops Another Short Film On Police Injustice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.