Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,145 members, 7,860,110 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:45 AM

Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over (238 Views)

SONY PICTURES |resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City [2021] Full_movie / 8 Big Movies Coming To Theaters In March / 8 Big Movies Coming To Theaters In February (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over by toddhhn: 2:40pm On Sep 17, 2020
While Warner Bros. and Disney have tested the waters at the box office with the releases of Tenet and The New Mutants, Sony Pictures will not be following in their footsteps. At least not any time soon. The studio has confirmed that it will not be releasing any major blockbusters in theaters until things return to normal, or at least something much closer to normal. That means movies like Venom 2 could be even further away than previously expected, depending on how things shake out.

The news comes directly from Sony Pictures Entertainment Chairman Tony Vinciquerra. He was recently a guest at Bank of America's 2020 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference. During the conference, Vinciquerra addressed the notion of releasing blockbusters in the current marketplace, since theaters have been reopening in the U.S. and throughout much of the world. Here's what he had to say about it.

While theaters are reopening there are quite a few caveats. For one, most theaters are operating at a significantly reduced capacity. In many cases, auditoriums are limited to 25 percent capacity. Plus, as we've seen with both Tenet and The New Mutants, these movies aren't pulling in what they otherwise might have been able to under typical conditions. With that in mind, Sony doesn't see it as worth the risk to release something like Ghostbusters: Afterlife until they are more certain they have a good chance of getting a reasonable return on investment at the box office.

Sony has a big lineup including Morbius, Venom: Let There Be Carnage, Peter Rabbit 2 and Monster Hunter on deck. All of these, along with Ghostbusters: Afterlife, were previously set to arrive in 2020. But as theaters shut down, they were al delayed. It seems the release dates currently set are more tentative than anything. Speaking further, Tony Vinciquerra had this to add, suggesting that things will change, in terms of distribution, even once the world returns to normal.
Re: Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over by Enudapan: 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2020
Nna eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated
Re: Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over by meobizy(f): 3:26pm On Sep 17, 2020
I don't care. I have a backlog of at least twenty movies to consume before checking for the latest blockbusters.
Re: Sony Pictures Refuses To Put Big Movies In Theaters Until The Pandemic Is Over by Vyzz: 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2020
What if covid19 is waiting for them to release the blockbusters before going grin

Anyways.... I wish to download Tenet...
I am not on telegram... Somebody help me with the links

(1) (Reply)

Bbnaija: Ozo And Tricky Tee Evicted, Nengi Breaks Down In Tears / I Will Create An Eye Catching Portfolio For Your Business And Services / My Life Is Being Threatened, Dj Switch Cries Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.