Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,003 members, 7,814,416 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs (1809 Views)

Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On / "Tokunbo" Or New Spark Plugs: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by nymphomaniac(m): 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2020
Good evening guys. I need to know the way forward as regards this nagging issue I have with my Hyundai Accent 2008.

In a space of 3months, I have changed the plugs about 4 times. They burn out quickly and I lose engine power, most times when I least expect it. It happened this evening again. I have checked and changed the ignition coils. Anytime the plug is being removed, they are usually soaked in oil.

A mechanic said it is bad piston rings and I’ll need to get a new engine. He also said changing the valve seals may solve it but he isn’t sure. He lastly suggested raising the plugs up but said the engine bay won’t shut properly.

Sadly this engine was bought prior to purchase of the car around March (or so then the lockdown happened).

What do you guys think on this issue of mine?

Cc @kingreign Gazzuzz, Etc etc.

Gazzuzz/BHyundai I for drive come Una side but I am even scared if I put fresh plugs they will burn out before I reach.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by PrinceNN(m): 9:04pm On Sep 17, 2020
Its a simple issue, its ur engine rings

Most lazy mechanics cant deal with re-ringing due to the complexity so they often tell customers to change engine

Look for a competent mechanic that can ring an engine. New rings are not expensive, its the ringing process that scares most mechanics

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by PrinceNN(m): 9:06pm On Sep 17, 2020
I had this same issue some time ago, at a point i had to carry additional plugs around in case it happens somewhere inconvienent
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by promotervickky(m): 9:25pm On Sep 17, 2020
nymphomaniac:
Good evening guys. I need to know the way forward as regards this nagging issue I have with my Hyundai Accent 2008.

In a space of 3months, I have changed the plugs about 4 times. They burn out quickly and I lose engine power, most times when I least expect it. It happened this evening again. I have checked and changed the ignition coils. Anytime the plug is being removed, they are usually soaked in oil.

A mechanic said it is bad piston rings and I’ll need to get a new engine. He also said changing the valve seals may solve it but he isn’t sure. He lastly suggested raising the plugs up but said the engine bay won’t shut properly.

Sadly this engine was bought prior to purchase of the car around March (or so then the lockdown happened).

Gazzuzz/BHyundai I for drive come Una side but I am even scared if I put fresh plugs they will burn out before I reach.
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by nymphomaniac(m): 9:41pm On Sep 17, 2020
promotervickky:

Forgive me, but my mind is telling me that this car was bought on a low budget planning, hence these faults.

do not be unfortunate and get out of this thread! How has your comment solved the problem?

9 Likes

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by promotervickky(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2020
nymphomaniac:
do not be unfortunate and get out of this thread! How has your comment solved the problem?

Sorry, if my comment upset you...have you been using a good engine oil? If a new engine was installed in March, it shouldn't be giving you problems, overall, I suspect sabotage on the engine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 10:03pm On Sep 17, 2020
Cc @ Iyort, you’re needed here
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by nymphomaniac(m): 6:51am On Sep 18, 2020
PrinceNN:
Its a simple issue, its ur engine rings

Most lazy mechanics cant deal with re-ringing due to the complexity so they often tell customers to change engine

Look for a competent mechanic that can ring an engine. New rings are not expensive, its the ringing process that scares most mechanics
please, what should I budget for this?
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by PrinceNN(m): 8:22am On Sep 18, 2020
I dont know how much rings cost for your engine type, but mine 2011 camry was 21k so urs should be around 15k. Though they have grades, dont buy the cheapest because they break easily and you have to re-ring

Also bear in mind other expenses like plug seal, gasket seal, oil and filter change, etc the normal engine expenses

Then workmanship for ur mechanic, that is between you and him, but it should be much
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by nymphomaniac(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2020
PrinceNN:
I dont know how much rings cost for your engine type, but mine 2011 camry was 21k so urs should be around 15k. Though they have grades, dont buy the cheapest because they break easily and you have to re-ring

Also bear in mind other expenses like plug seal, gasket seal, oil and filter change, etc the normal engine expenses

Then workmanship for ur mechanic, that is between you and him, but it should be much
thank you. This has been really helpful
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by PrinceNN(m): 4:56pm On Sep 18, 2020
sorry i made a mistake in the last line... what i wanted to say is; it shouldnt be too much

Also, your welcome
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by Timewaster: 3:38am On Sep 19, 2020
Why not change the Engine once and for all.

I think you'll save more

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by BHyundai(m): 11:36am On Sep 19, 2020
nymphomaniac:

Hello bro, sorry about the issue.

I don't have any experience with this kinda issue....and since you can't drive it to Gazzuzz, you can contact Blackbishop.

Blackbishop also operates a mobile mechanic shop, he can meet you anywhere.

Cheers
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by BHyundai(m): 11:37am On Sep 19, 2020
Timewaster:
Why not change the Engine once and for all.

I think you'll save more
He needs to be sure what the issue is first

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by Timewaster: 12:51pm On Sep 19, 2020
BHyundai:
He needs to be sure what the issue is first

Please who are you

I'm sure the Op trust what I'm saying
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by Olumax3028: 9:01pm On Sep 19, 2020
nymphomaniac:

Like someone already said, ring the engine.

The re-rings are slack so they are allowing oil straight into your spark plug. You will also notice that you're having oil shortage cuz the car will probably be smoking.

Before re-ringing, also note that using an oil that is not specifically for your engine may lead to this since the thickness may allow oil through the rings.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by nymphomaniac(m): 8:29am On Oct 22, 2020
Update!

Finally got my car to BlackBishop. He actually came and picked it up. He diagnosed the problem and found out what caused oil to soak my plugs and kill them. He then changed my gasket seals and gasket rings as well my engine cover. He also changed some solenoids and serviced my injector nozzle and my car is healthy again.

I’d happily recommend him to you guys as his professionalism is top notch. More oil and grace sir

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by Blackbishop(m): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2020
nymphomaniac:
Update!

Finally got my car to BlackBishop. He actually came and picked it up. He diagnosed the problem and found out what caused oil to soak my plugs and kill them. He then changed my gasket seals and gasket rings as well my engine cover. He also changed some solenoids and serviced my injector nozzle and my car is healthy again.

I’d happily recommend him to you guys as his professionalism is top notch. More oil and grace sir

My oga thanks for the heads up.. Do enjoy your ride now

3 Likes

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by chukel(m): 7:53pm On Oct 22, 2020
If plug is soaking oil, please change the valve seals. Problem solved.
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by greatbrian(m): 9:18pm On Oct 22, 2020
nymphomaniac:

I admire you op. You put the nigga in his place. He might not even have a bike to his name

1 Like

Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by greatbrian(m): 9:23pm On Oct 22, 2020
Blackbishop:

My oga thanks for the heads up.. Do enjoy your ride now

Here comes superman to save the day grin
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by Chukwujohn(m): 10:40pm On Oct 29, 2020
Dear op,has the issue been solved kindly contact me on WhatsApp 07026487133
Re: Help! My Engine Burns My Plugs by eherbal(m): 11:58pm On Oct 30, 2020
Congratulations OP. Problematic cars can be a pain in the ass. The after relief is unexplainable when it's finally fixed. If it affects the car,it affects you

(1) (Reply)

Gear Shifter Stuck Benz / Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe / My C200 Benz Is Jecking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.