Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,048 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! (664 Views)

If You Are A Man.... Take Note Of These Things To "Avoid Had I Known " / If You Are A Man...take Note Of These Things To Avoid "Had I Known" / Ladies Above Thirty Take Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by englois: 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2020
First impression matters a lot. Most people here believe sending a private message (pm) to them means you want to beg for something or ask them out.
Lemme start by saying anyone receiving a pm on nairaland will get the message like this:

private-message@nairaland.com wrote:
Hello ABC,

XYZ would like to send you an email message, but since you're not connected, you'll need to contact XYZ by replying this email.
[color=#990000][/color]

Please watch how to reply to pm. I wanted to strike a business deal with someone here and after sending my message. The person replied with 'OKAY' I felt like even if I want to ask for assistance, you shouldn't be rude.
For some people, their own response are:
Yes, I'm listening
Go on
and hosts of other annoying responses.

Personally, I believe the best response should be
Hello! How may I help you or
Hello!
Imagine someone needing assistance concerning an interview or any other urgent information. After viewing the thread and seeing a nairalander with meaningful contribution, he may decide to send a pm to the person for further enlightenment. The person will be very optimistic about hearing from the person. Unfortunately, the interview day may come and go without hearing from the person. After like a month, the nairalander decides to reply the person with, "Yes, I'm listening" How will you feel? The best the nairalander can do is to first apologize and ask if it's not too late to answer his questions.
Nairalanders, this may be a faceless forum but you can meet your destiny helper here.
I love you all
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by aminusodiq(m): 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2020
Nice...
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by dingbang(m): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2020
Smiles, not everyone have been trained on email etiquette.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by illicit(m): 1:23pm On Sep 19, 2020
some will reply with

Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2020
grin
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by jabolo(m): 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2020
englois:
First impression matters a lot. Most people here believe sending a private message (pm) to them means you want to beg for something or ask them out.
Lemme start by saying anyone receiving a pm on nairaland will get the message like this:

private-message@nairaland.com wrote:
Hello ABC,

XYZ would like to send you an email message, but since you're not connected, you'll need to contact XYZ by replying this email.
[color=#990000][/color]

Please watch how to reply to pm. I wanted to strike a business deal with someone here and after sending my message. The person replied with 'OKAY' I felt like even if I want to ask for assistance, you shouldn't be rude....

I agree, being polite should be the norm and it costs nothing. It should be two-way though, do not send unsolicited PMs as they're likely to be ignored. Within the subject thread, ask first .... "Please can I send you a PM?". The person will see this in their mentions and will respond positively if they want to discuss further.

Note that some people receive tens if not hundreds of PMs and, yes, most tend to be the begging kind particularly when they have been seen to show compassion on one of the 'assistance' threads here.

Or, for me, I always invite someone to send me a PM to progress something important offline.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by mariahAngel(f): 4:08pm On Sep 19, 2020
jabolo:

I agree, being polite should be the norm and it costs nothing. It should be two-way though, do not send unsolicited PMs as they're likely to be ignored. Within the subject thread, ask first .... "Please can I send you a PM?". The person will see this in their mentions and will respond positively if they want to discuss further.

Note that some people receive tens if not hundreds of PMs and, yes, most tend to be the begging kind particularly when they have been seen to show compassion on one of the 'assistance' threads here.

Or, for me, I always invite someone to send me a PM to progress something important offline.

On point.
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by Ishilove: 4:20pm On Sep 19, 2020
"I'm listening". How can you listen to a written mail?
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by dingbang(m): 4:50pm On Sep 19, 2020
Ishilove:
"I'm listening". How can you listen to a written mail?
grin
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 19, 2020
Sometimes the PM thing dey vex person especially from certain monikers but it's still good to be polite by responding maturely, don't judge a book by its cover.

The content of the emails will determine whether to continue the discussion or to stop.
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by pocohantas(f): 5:07pm On Sep 19, 2020
dingbang:
Smiles, not everyone have been trained on email etiquette.

Very true, might not be intentional.
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by LadySarah: 5:27pm On Sep 19, 2020
The proper thing is to inform the person first on Nl and if given a yes, go ahead to send it.

Atleast tell the person why you are pming them.

Me that have tried to give some benefit of doubt only for them to ask me for friendship.
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by GboyegaD(m): 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2020
In a situation where you don't have a basis for discussion what would you reply?

Usually, I say hi. But if I'm replying so late, I will apologize for replying late.
Re: Nairalanders!!! Take Note!!! by fatymore(f): 8:36pm On Sep 19, 2020
I will first go and check your precedent here on Nairaland before proceeding to acknowledge your mail.

So take note grin

(1) (Reply)

Back Stabber Tales. / At What Age Does Orphanage Home Stop Taking Care of Orphans? / 7 Signs Of An Incompatible Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.