Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria (9483 Views)

2011 World University Ranking | Top 100 Universities In Africa / World University Ranking- Top Africa / World Top 500 University Ranking - 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by Ramnon2: 7:51pm On Feb 27, 2011
UNN has been denied funding by the FG which affected its fortune. Now things are looking better again and UNN is slowly taking back its position as the once best Uni in Nigeria

For now, Uni Ilorin is # 1 (20 in Africa) followed, surprisingly, by Uni Jos (42 in Africa) and then the UNN (54 in Africa). With time, UNN shall be # 1 again as it was in the 60s.

See full African ranking here

http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by Ramnon2: 7:52pm On Feb 27, 2011
Uni Ilorin has consistently been the best Uni in Nigeria for 2-3 years running. What is the secret?
I read where they (Uni-Ilorin) gave postgrad grants to foreigners to come study in there Uni. Impressive
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by Ramnon2: 7:53pm On Feb 27, 2011
Though in general, it is worryingly shameful that the best Naija uni is only # 20 in Africa
We are indeed the giant midget of Africa
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by wills(m): 10:03pm On Feb 27, 2011
Rankings are controvarsial issues especially higher education rankings. What are the parameters used for these ranking and what authorities validate these rankings? These are questions to ask rather than worry about UNN or UNILORIN being ranked this or that. In times past we have seen some other Nigerian based rankings that uses the prestige of name and age to rank 1st generation University as top ranking regardless of the rot being experienced in some of this institutions. Presently there are a few Universities in Nigeria that can compete favourably with top notch Uni in the Africa but yet get no mention in rankings simply because they are young Universities,Privately run Uni or state owned Uni. To me this just makes nonesense of the entire ranking system and I would advice would be students to use more than just these ranking to make there choice of where to learn and gain a qualification
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by Ramnon2: 12:03am On Feb 28, 2011
I agree that the young shall grow but for now the old ones will always hold sway. One of the ranking criteria is research publications of faculty members. Now can you point to one research work conducted and published in an internationally peer-reviewed journal by any fac member of the private universities in Nigeria whereas there are easily such publications from UNN and the old Unis.

wills:

Rankings are controvarsial issues especially higher education rankings. What are the parameters used for these ranking and what authorities validate these rankings? These are questions to ask rather than worry about UNN or UNILORIN being ranked this or that. In times past we have seen some other Nigerian based rankings that uses the prestige of name and age to rank 1st generation University as top ranking regardless of the rot being experienced in some of this institutions. Presently there are a few Universities in Nigeria that can compete favourably with top notch Uni in the Africa but yet get no mention in rankings simply because they are young Universities,Privately run Uni or state owned Uni. To me this just makes nonesense of the entire ranking system and I would advice would be students to use more than just these ranking to make there choice of where to learn and gain a qualification
hat
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 1:02am On Feb 28, 2011
Are this rankings not based on web presence rather than quality of education?
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by damola1: 1:34am On Feb 28, 2011
Rubbish, Listen. You can't be in a 3rd world country and still go to a 3rd world state to study. You must by all means study in a city center like Lagos, not just for books but for exposure. Not even epe or ojo will make sure, but main city center, Have you been to uni illorin, I will be surprised if they can deliver latest computer knowledge geeks like those in Unilag,
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by ekubear1: 1:45am On Feb 28, 2011
Why Ilorin ranked above Unilag, Ibadan, Ife?

A bit counterintuitive, at least to me.
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:18am On Feb 28, 2011
Bottomline is, until we know WHO does the ranking, THEIR status and intent, and their CRITERIA for ranking, we cannot take any of those findings seriously. Personally I absolutely reject the claim that the best Nigerian university is only ''No 20'' in Africa in terms of quality.
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 3:29am On Feb 28, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Bottomline is, until we know WHO does the ranking, THEIR status and intent, and their CRITERIA for ranking, we cannot take any of those findings seriously. Personally I absolutely reject the claim that the best Nigerian university is only ''No 20'' in Africa in terms of quality.

True
Ignore the title, this is based on websites not quality of education, read the link below.

http://www.webometrics.info/best_practices.html
Re: 2011 World University Ranking, UNN (Nsukka) Is # 3 In Nigeria by concernedspeak: 3:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
wills: Rankings are controvarsial issues especially higher education rankings. What are the parameters used for these ranking and what authorities validate these rankings? These are questions to ask rather than worry about UNN or UNILORIN being ranked this or that. In times past we have seen some other Nigerian based rankings that uses the prestige of name and age to rank 1st generation University as top ranking regardless of the rot being experienced in some of this institutions. Presently there are a few Universities in Nigeria that can compete favourably with top notch Uni in the Africa but yet get no mention in rankings simply because they are young Universities,Privately run Uni or state owned Uni. To me this just makes nonesense of the entire ranking system and I would advice would be students to use more than just these ranking to make there choice of where to learn and gain a qualification
u are very correct not all universities who live on past glory are anything to write home about today o.most of their graduates sef are unemployed and afraid

(1) (Reply)

Uniben Post Ume 2012/2013 admission list hints / University Of Ibadan Admission Requirement / Unilag Postgraduate Past Questions & Answers For 2018/2019 Entrance Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.