Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,210 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

The Significance Of 'Ofala' Festival In Igbo Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Significance Of 'Ofala' Festival In Igbo Culture (1493 Views)

Pictures From Ofala Festival In Anambra State / Onitsha Ofala Festival Of Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off- PICTURES / Glo Renews Sponsorship Of Ofala Festival For The Next 3 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Significance Of 'Ofala' Festival In Igbo Culture by Arealove: 9:42am On Sep 21, 2020
Every year, thousands gather across Igbo land to celebrate the ever colorful, delectable Ofala festival. The Ofala festival, usually, but not always, takes place at the end of the 13-month Igbo year, ushering them into the new year according to the Igbo calendar. Today, Ofala has become a globally recognized tradition, drawing tourists and culture enthusiasts from all over the world.

Ofala festival is marked to foster bonding among the Igbo people and their traditional rulers. The festival reaffirms the authority of a traditional ruler over his people. This is completely evident from the derivation of the word: Ofo which contextually translates to authority, and Ala which means land. In other words, when the relationship between a traditional ruler and his people suffers any form of strain, the Ofala becomes either less significant, or doesn’t hold at all.

The implication, therefore, is that traditional rulers across Igbo land make conscious effort to sustain a healthy relationship with the people. Ofala festival is a common practice in Igbo culture, it is seemingly, not peculiar to any state, cultural, or sub-cultural area. Nonetheless, its practice is predominant in Onitsha, Umueri, Umuoji, and others in Anambra, Southeast Nigeria

Ofala festival also provides the opportunity for a traditional ruler to honor hardworking, patriotic Igbo sons and daughters. It is no longer news that Ndi Igbo engage so much in community service, so the Ofala features the conferment of chieftaincy titles, honoring the good ones and spurring others to good. The titles, however, are not just for people who had done well in community service, there is also room for people who have excelled in other aspects of human endeavor.

Historically, Ofala could be traced back to the 16th century. However, this is based on some oral history with no tangible backings. Ndi Igbo are highly diverse, so the Ofala takes various shades and timings. In Onitsha, for instance,

Ofala normally happens in October to mark the end of a week-long retreat undergone by the Obi. During this retreat, the Obi is withdrawn from the people, he apparently communicates with the spirits, undergoes purification, and comes out stronger to bless the people on the Ofala day.
Typically, Ofala is a two-day event, but in some Igbo communities, it could to extend to one week or more. Ofala festival features the display of the rich Igbo cultural heritage. In recent times, there has been an inspiring inclusion of visual art exhibition.

Ofala, apart from being a rousing tourist attraction, also has economic implications. In many Igbo communities, Ofala boosts the economic vibrance of the people. This is often attributed to the mass return of Igbo sons and daughters, added to the exodus of non-Igbo people who come to witness the event from far and wide.

Cc: afam4eva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrObqhHRqP0
Re: The Significance Of 'Ofala' Festival In Igbo Culture by Afam4eva(m): 10:04am On Sep 21, 2020
I like the whole idea of Ofala but i've always thought it to be an Anambra thing but in recent times, i have seen it spread to other parts of Igboland. Even my village in Enugu now does Ofala. Which supports what i've always believed in.

What we call Igbo culture such as Ofala, Iri Ji (New Yam Festival) or Ogene music is usually not something that all Igbos do but most Igbos seem to be embracing them and these practices are beginning to be a universal Igbo thing.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of 'Ofala' Festival In Igbo Culture by Arealove: 10:25am On Sep 21, 2020
Afam4eva:
I like the whole idea of Ofala but i've always thought it to be an Anambra thing but in recent times, i have seen it spread to other parts of Igboland. Even my village in Enugu now does Ofala. Which supports what i've always believed in.

What we call Igbo culture such as Ofala, Iri Ji (New Yam Festival) or Ogene music is usually not something that all Igbos do but most Igbos seem to be embracing them and these practices are beginning to be a universal Igbo thing.

Exactly, I like to consider it a good thing. In due time, we get more commonalities than disparities.

(1) (Reply)

Unclad Masquerade Spotted In Abakaliki Town (pics) / Oganyi Angwa(igala)festival In Idah Kogi State / King Mswati III Of Eswatini Swaziland Buys 19 Rolls Royce For His 15 Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.