Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,214 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. (345 Views)

Farming Made Easy For Novice + Everyone / Buy Your Poultry and pig Feed Here.. Am In Portharcourt / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by Ayotemide(f): 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2020
Fellow Agric-Nairalanders,

My mother has set up an haphazard poultry based on 'increasing streams of income's, she was consulting with an Agric vendor (In retrospect, he seems like a novice himself).

She has recorded significant mortality of these birds; I just want some help and tips to prevent further death.
The birds are now at 4weeks, One bird seems to be wringing it's neck.

Please help with some tips to keep this flock.
Re: Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by mcdokwe(m): 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
Sorry for your loss.

From my little experience, Coccidiosis is the most common ailments of birds an a leading cause of bird mortality.

I'd personally advice you to buy coxstop and administer to them through their water, but I must confess that my knowledge is limited as I can as well pass for a novice.

Meanwhile, great agrolanders who take delight in assisting others like @jidestroud will be here soon to offer a 'higher level' help, but before they get here, what does their stool look like? Where they vaccinated?

May our loss be small. Amen
Re: Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by mcdokwe(m): 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
Re: Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by NNC5: 1:20am On Sep 22, 2020
Ayotemide:
Fellow Agric-Nairalanders,

My mother has set up an haphazard poultry based on 'increasing streams of income's, she was consulting with an Agric vendor (In retrospect, he seems like a novice himself)...

it might make sense to tell us the type of birds for better solutions/suggestions.
in my experience, twisted neck is caused by lack of vit E and in most cases, its better to isolate the infected and treat.

i found out that aloe vera was very efficient in treating it esp. in turkeys.
survival rates are small to moderate but i will recommend she changes the feeds being given.

she should also factor in losses as a novice, thats just the nature of the biz.
ppl need to thread lightly when delving into poultry business because its a little more complicated than advertised.
for me, this was how i started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejScbsdHWc&t=3s
Re: Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by Ayotemide(f): 6:58am On Sep 22, 2020
mcdokwe:
Sorry for your loss.

From my little experience, Coccidiosis is the most common ailments of birds an a leading cause of bird mortality.

I'd personally advice you to buy coxstop and administer to them through their water, but I must confess that my knowledge is limited as I can as well pass for a novice.

Meanwhile, great agrolanders who take delight in assisting others like @jidestroud will be here soon to offer a 'higher level' help, but before they get here, what does their stool look like? Where they vaccinated?

May our loss be small. Amen

Thank you for your kind words.

I cannot ascertain that they were vaccinated , they were bought at 4 weeks.
Stool is reported as brownish but I would go there later this evening to see for myself.

I have gotten a vaccination chart featuring Gumboro and Lasota vaccine, is it too late to administer it?
Re: Poultry Tips For A NOVICE. by Ayotemide(f): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2020
NNC5:

it might make sense to tell us the type of birds for better solutions/suggestions.
in my experience, twisted neck is caused by lack of vit E and in most cases, its better to isolate the infected and treat.

i found out that aloe vera was very efficient in treating it esp. in turkeys.
survival rates are small to moderate but i will recommend she changes the feeds being given.

she should also factor in losses as a novice, thats just the nature of the biz.
ppl need to thread lightly when delving into poultry business because its a little more complicated than advertised.
for me, this was how i started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejScbsdHWc&t=3s

Thank you.

The birds are the white variant (I would attach a picture)
I think it might be a viral infection, the New Castle disease based on it's behavior since last night.

I intend to go there later this evening to disinfect the farm and make reports of my findings. She definitely has learnt by experience, it's just hard to see her make losses after being so enthusiastic.

(1) (Reply)

Catfish For Sale / Oron Crayfish In Jumbo Bag Available / For Your Fertilizer And Chemicals At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.