Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,637 members, 7,958,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:42 AM

Building A Desktop PC For Research Purpose - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Building A Desktop PC For Research Purpose (215 Views)

Looking For A Desktop For Work / Grade-1 USA Used Dell Latitude E5410 Notebook PC for 40k ❌ ❌❌ / How To Set Computer Parental Control In PC For Your Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Building A Desktop PC For Research Purpose by AglowRaph(m): 8:49am On Sep 22, 2020
Please who can build a PC for Computational chemistry/Molecular modelling/Molecular docking/MD simulations research?
I just want a computer that works well for my research & is somewhat affordable.

I'm a graduate student looking forward to having a built desktop PC that is good for computational chemistry / molecular modelling / bioinformatics research. I don't know much about PC building or what computer specs would be good, so I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out the best to obtain. This is my first time trying to get a built computer and I don't really know anything about it, though I've been reading about it for a while.
The PC will need to be powerful enough to run long computations such as ligand-protein docking simulations, molecular dynamics, free-energy calculations, etc without lagging.

I plan to install Linux on this PC or install a Windows 10/Linux dual-boot (whichever is a better idea, I'd appreciate advice on which to choose and what kind of Linux distribution to install for free). I need to be able to run software such as Schrödinger Maestro, GOLD - Protein Ligand Docking Software, PyMOL, AMBER16, UCSF Chimera, Visual Molecular Dynamics - VMD, Molecular Operating Environment - MOE and GROMACS.

I especially need for the PC to be able to display good graphics of complex structures and large trajectory files with many frames without lagging too much, since I've run into lagging problems with the VMD software on some computers. I think this means I'd need a lot of memory and storage space?

I also would like to be able to run basic things like Microsoft Word, Excel and for the PC to have a CD-ROM drive.

YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

Re: Building A Desktop PC For Research Purpose by Alfrediolu: 10:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
Hi, I would like to connect with you in this. sent you a mail already

(1) (Reply)

21 Days ICT Training Organized By Bigjohninfotech / HP Elitebook 840//intel Corei5//500gb//4gb / Dell XPS 9th Gen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.