Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

8 Epic Lies They Told Us When We Were Young - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 8 Epic Lies They Told Us When We Were Young (382 Views)

Alaafin Told Us His Forefathers Were Calling Him Two Weeks Ago - Aide / Anioma Wake Up.... Unlearn The Rubbish They Told U And Accept Your Igbo Identity / History Told Us That Isiala Ngwa People Eat Humans, Is This True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Epic Lies They Told Us When We Were Young by TimiAkinno: 2:45pm On Sep 22, 2020
Growing up in this part of the world was/is fun. Asides the rough play and pranks, African parent style of upbringing, there were some superstitious beliefs that we learned during childhood.

Some of these statements were from our parents and the others from our peers. Here are some of them:

If a boy touches you, you will get pregnant

Thinking about it years later and I can’t help but shake my head. This was the sex education we got from African parents to scare their daughters away from boys. Did it work? Only for a while, I guess.

If you swallow the seed of any fruit, the tree would grow from your stomach and sprout through your head

This was one of the scariest things we were told and our parents scammed us big time on this one. Imagine enjoying a sweet orange as an innocent kid who believed everything their parents said and you mistakenly swallowed a seed! The horror!

I don’t think it works on kids these days. They will just look at you one kind and continue their business.

If you cross over someone who is laying on the floor, their unborn child will look like you

this was a widely believed superstition and we swallowed it hook, line, stanza and sinker. Pregnant women were the most conscious of this rumor and if you mistakenly cross over them, they will quickly instruct you to cross back so that their child will not look like you. Wait, were they trying to say we were ugly back then or is there something I am missing?

If you bend over and look between your legs in a market, you will see strange beings

I honestly do not know who came up with this weird stuff, but we need someone to try it and tell us how it goes. If you are that daring fellow, we will be waiting to hear from you.

If your ear is itching you, it means someone is talking about you somewhere

someone that cannot talk about me and send me money, is that someone important? This belief is funny until it is village people that are having the discussion at a round table meeting.

If you kick your left leg against a stone while going out, that is a sign of bad luck, so you should return home

Imagine you finally got an interview for a job that you have been praying for after weeks of unemployment. After hours of preparation, you are finally ready to secure the bag. Then on your way to the venue that bright Wednesday morning, you hit your left leg against a stone. Would you have returned home?

You see why the person that invented this recycle bin statement will not smell heaven?

Read more here https://danfoxpress.xyz/8-epic-lies-they-told-us-when-we-were-young/
Re: 8 Epic Lies They Told Us When We Were Young by Cohelm(m): 6:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
This is the pure truth!!
Now I will have an evening of memories...

(1) (Reply)

Umuchukwu Nkerehi Crisis: Women Deceived To Go Against Their Illustrious Son / Who Else Noticed Google Celebrated Late Oliver D'coque? / The 21st Obi Of Onitsha Clocks 80 Years Today - See Full Biography

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.