Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,207 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria (1969 Views)

Western Nigeria Development And News Thread / Amotekun: Western Nigeria Security Network In Pictures / Joe Igbokwe Cleaning Gutter In Lagos As He Begins Work (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by jrjfjfj: 10:48am On Sep 25, 2020
Lagos State was created on 27 May 1967 according to the State Creation and Transitional Provisions Decree No. 14 of 1967, which restructured Nigeria into a Federation of 12 states.Before the issuance of this Decree, Lagos city, which was the country's capital had been administered directly by the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Lagos Affairs. However, Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Ikorodu, Epe, surulere and Badagry were administered by the then Western Region Government.Lagos, the city, along with these other towns were captured to create the state of Lagos, with the state becoming fully recognized as a semi-autonomous administrative division on 11 April 1968.Lagos served the dual role of being the Western Nigerian State and Federal Capital until 1976, when the capital of the State was moved to Ikeja.The parts of lagos which was the FCT was mainly Marina ,lagos island.Infact Marina was the capital of lagos and Nigeria then,Lagos island owned and inhabited by the Aworis ( Yorubas) before the invasion of lagos coast by the British Navy in 1851,Aworis and ijebus who tried to resist but was overpowered by the English due to higher gun power.Awolowo also built ikeja industrial estate.After the full establishment of the Federal Capital Territory, the seat of the Federal Government was also formally relocated to Abuja on 12 December 1991. Nevertheless, Lagos still remains the financial centre of the Yorubas and Nigeria at large, and also grew to become the most populous city in the state and the country,and the fifth largest economy in africa.
God bless Lagos
God bless the Yorubas
God bless the Oduduwa Nation

1 Like

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by SLAP44: 10:53am On Sep 25, 2020
Oduduwa land

3 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by TooMuchStuff: 11:08am On Sep 25, 2020
You forgot to mention Edos are owners of Lagos

Very important point my brother!! Edo owns Eko

3 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by jrjfjfj: 11:12am On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

indeed

2 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Sammy07: 11:16am On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

It's just a war camp, just like Oyo empire used Ilorin as a war camp then.
Will Oyo now claim ilorin

Lagos original is a small portion of land (the islands and few areas).

Other areas dey Ogun state before Dem carved it out and added it to the islands to make Lagos state.
So know what to say.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by helinues: 11:19am On Sep 25, 2020
Lagos State, the pride of South West

2 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by TooMuchStuff: 11:20am On Sep 25, 2020
Sammy07:

It's just a war camp, just like Oyo empire used Ilorin as a war camp then.
Will Oyo now claim ilorin

Lagos original is a small portion of land (the islands and few areas).

Other areas dey Ogun state before Dem carved it out and added it to the islands to make Lagos state.
So know what to say.
No vex my Oga....!
I'm trying to say Edo is Lagos at last ...!

1 Like

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by seunmsg(m): 11:28am On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

I know you are trying to be mischievous but I will still correct your mischief. Aworis and Ijebus majorly own Lagos. That is why Yorubas control Lagos till today. Benins stake in Lagos currently is not more than the stake of Ijaw or Urhobo; very insignificant. Edo conquered the Lagos Island royalty and not Lagos. Even the Oba of Lagos stool had since been Yorubanized.

At the OP, I’m glad you brought this up. I was severally attacked on another thread last Saturday when I educated some morons that Lagos state as presently constituted was never FCT at any point in our history. It is time we start correcting the erroneous impression that Lagos state in its entirety was FCT before Abuja. 90% of the current Lagos state was never under FG direct administration. Awolowo, Jakande, Tinubu etc build Lagos and not FG.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 12:02pm On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Go and read Osifekunde's 18th Century Slave Narrative Ijebu defeated Benin and drove them out of Lagos.

Benin ruled Lagos and the Ijebu reconquered Lagos and drove out Benin that is why the Ijebu have had a strong hold on Lagos Commercially till today.

Isale Eko of Lagos Island is a remnant of the Conquered Benin and the Oba of Lagos (isale Eko) is even of Ijesha ancestry .

Ikoyi part was Conquered by Oyo Pirates from Ikoyi in Osun State.

Document Translation:

"Eco(Èkó) is the name given to it by the yebous (Ijebu)... The Benin call it Korame"

Futhermore, the text says
".. Korame etait unie a sa metropole par la langue de terre resserree entre la grande lagune et la mer; mais des longtemps les yebous se sont empares..."

"Korame (Lagos) was formerly larger, included a metropolis between the Great lagoon and the sea but for a long time the yebous (Ijebu) seized this area"

Futher the text says

"dont l'extremite orientale a ete envahie par les pirates Ouyo; et Korame est restee isolee au bout de la grande lagune, continuant a recevoir du Benin"

"the Eastern part of this area (Ikoyi) was invaded by pirates from Ouyo(Oyo) and what is left of Korame is the isolated end towards the great Lagoon (Isale Eko) this is all that is controlled by Benin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osifekunde
"

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

Go and read Osifekunde's 18th Century Slave Narrative Ijebu defeated Benin and drove them out of Lagos.

Benin ruled Lagos and the Ijebu reconquered Lagos and drove out Benin that is why the Ijebu have had a strong hold on Lagos Commercially till today. Eko of Lagos Island is a remnant of the Conquered Benin . Ikoyi part was Conquered by Oyo Pirates from Ikoyi in Osun State.

nous l'a appelee Eco, et c'est ainsi que la designent les Yebous... Benin, qui lui applique le nom Korame"

"Eco(Èkó) is the name given to it by the Yebous (Ijebu)... The Benin call it Korame"

Here is the actual translation:Warning

Translation:

"Eco(Èkó) is the name given to it by the yebous (Ijebu)... The Benin call it Korame"

".. Korame etait unie a sa metropole par la langue de terre resserree entre la grande lagune et la mer; mais des longtemps les yebous se sont empares..."

"Korame (Lagos) was formerly larger, included a metropolis between the Great lagoon and the sea but for a long time the yebous (Ijebu) seized this area"

Futher the text says

"dont l'extremite orientale a ete envahie par les pirates Ouyo; et Korame est restee isolee au bout de la grande lagune, continuant a recevoir du Benin"

"the Eastern part of this area was invaded by pirates from Ouyo(Oyo) and what is left of Korame is the isolated end towards the great lagoon, this is all that is controlled by Benin

"
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by akinloye19995: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2020
You forgot to mention Edos are proprietors of Lagos Very importance juncture my nephew!! Edo owns Eko
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 12:34pm On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

The Awori owned it... The best thing to say is that it was a vassal of the Benin kingdom
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 1:01pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

Benin ruled Lagos and the Ijebu reconquered Lagos and drove out Benin that is why the Ijebu have had a strong hold on Lagos Commercially till today.

Isale Eko of Lagos Island is a remnant of the Conquered Benin and the Oba of Lagos (isale Eko) is even of Ijesha ancestry .

Ikoyi part was Conquered by Oyo Pirates from Ikoyi in Osun State.

Document Translation:

Futher the text says

"the Eastern part of this area (Ikoyi) was invaded by pirates from Ouyo(Oyo) and what is left of Korame is the isolated end towards the great Lagoon (Isale Eko) this is all that is controlled by Benin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osifekunde
"

From the link u posted...

Osifekunde was 20 when he was captured...

U claimed that ijebu defeated Benin in 1845.. but the link u posted never reported him coming back to Yoruba land

The same link u posted says
Quoting the same Paschal u refer to...
Let me bring these disconnected pages to a close, a hasty collection of incomplete data drawn from an unexpected source [Osifekunde] and one that too soon became silent. Especially during my work of coordination I have become conscious of many important gaps that remain to be filled; but I no longer have Osifekunde to answer my questions, and I can only offer the results of our long and often fruitless conversations

4 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by limeta(f): 1:06pm On Sep 25, 2020
you are a very bad person as per you did not mention Edo at all in yr write up
Who does that ?
Remember this it will be called Eko again.
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 1:22pm On Sep 25, 2020
Etinosa1234:

From the link u posted...

Osifekunde was 20 when he was captured...

U claimed that ijebu defeated Benin in 1845.. but the link u posted never reported him coming back to Yoruba land

The same link u posted says
Quoting the same Paschal u refer to...
Let me bring these disconnected pages to a close, a hasty collection of incomplete data drawn from an unexpected source [Osifekunde] and one that too soon became silent. Especially during my work of coordination I have become conscious of many important gaps that remain to be filled; but I no longer have Osifekunde to answer my questions, and I can only offer the results of our long and often fruitless conversations

Ijebu Remo people still Celebrate the defeat of the Benin in Lagos.

Osifekunde was Captured in 1820 he was born around 1795.

Go and do your own research on Osifekunde. The book was first published in France in 1845 where he lived after regaining his freedom.

The evidence on ground today confirms what is in the book the Oba of Lagos has no authority or Land beyond Isale Eko on the Island the Eastern part of Lagos Island belongs to the Onikoyi of Ikoyi who is of Oyo Origin.

Even Isale Eko Land belongs to the Aromire Family who are Awori.

The only thing the Oba of Lagos was ruling over when the British Came were the Slave Port and Markets of Isale Eko .

Until about 1956 the Oba of Lagos had Baale Status as the Eleko of Eko. (District Head).

The Olota of Sango -Ota is the Paramount Ruler of Aworiland and the Aworii traditionally own Lagos since the 13th Century when Olofin Ogunfunminire left Ile-Ife he founded the Awori Kingdom and settled at Idumota in Lagos.

Ijebu drove Benin out of Lagos but Lagos Island and metropolis belong to the Awori.

Lekki,Ikorodu, Epe is Ijebu.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by TooMuchStuff: 1:36pm On Sep 25, 2020
seunmsg:

I know you are trying to be mischievous but I will still correct your mischief. Aworis and Ijebus majorly own Lagos. That is why Yorubas control Lagos till today. Benins stake in Lagos curreyis not more than the stake of Ijawa or Urhobo; very insignificant. Edo conquered the Lagos Island royalty and not Lagos. Even the Oba of Lagos stool had since been Yorubanized.

At the OP, I’m glad you brought this up. I was severally attacked on another thread last Saturday when I educated some morons that Lagos state as presently constituted was never FCT at any point in our history. It is time we start correcting the erroneous impression that Lagos state in its entirety was FCT before Abuja. 90% of the current Lagos state was never under FG direct administration. Awolowo, Jakande, Tinubu etc build Lagos and not FG.

Very grateful for acknowledging that Edos own Lagos forever. As generous and accommodative people we have let the Yorubas to keep the bragging right for now...! When we are ready to pick up the governor's Seat in the foreseeable future, we shall seal it for real JUST as we sealed Edo state coffers from the thieving hands of Tinubu and his ugly godfathers wannabes....!

Thank you once again....! Edo no be Lagos....!
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by seunmsg(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2020
akinloye19995:
You forgot to mention Edos are proprietors of Lagos Very importance juncture my nephew!! Edo owns Eko

So, who and where are these Edo people in Lagos today? Where can we find them? How many of them are governors, senators, reps, local government chairman, traditional rulers, white cap chiefs in Lagos today?

7 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Very grateful for acknowledging that Edos own Lagos forever. As generous and accommodative people we have let the Yorubas to keep the bragging right for now...! When we are ready to pick up the governor's Seat in the foreseeable future, we shall seal it for real JUST as we sealed Edo state coffers from the thieving hands of Tinubu and his ugly godfathers wannabes....!

Thanks for confirmation that Ooni and Ile Ife Owns Benin.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by seunmsg(m): 1:42pm On Sep 25, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Very grateful for acknowledging that Edos own Lagos forever
. As generous and accommodative people we have let the Yorubas to keep the bragging right for now...! When we are ready to pick up the governor's Seat in the foreseeable future, we shall seal it for real JUST as we sealed Edo state coffers from the thieving hands of Tinubu and his ugly godfathers wannabes....!

You have the right to be delusional. So, I won’t even try to point you to the path of rationality. You can spew whatever makes you sleep well, it won’t change anything. Lagosians know who own and control Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by ImmaculateJOE(m): 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2020
OP you said God bless Yoruba and Oduduwa but skip Kwara in your map.
Is Kwara not part of the Great Yoruba nation..
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 3:12pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

[s]
Ijebu Remo people still Celebrate the defeat of the Benin in Lagos.

Osifekunde was Captured in 1820 he was born around 1795.

Go and do your own research on Osifekunde. The book was first published in France in 1845 where he lived after regaining his freedom.

The evidence on ground today confirms what is in the book the Oba of Lagos has no authority or Land beyond Isale Eko on the Island the Eastern part of Lagos Island belongs to the Onikoyi of Ikoyi who is of Oyo Origin.

Even Isale Eko Land belongs to the Aromire Family who are Awori.

The only thing the Oba of Lagos was ruling over when the British Came were the Slave Port and Markets of Isale Eko .

Until about 1956 the Oba of Lagos had Baale Status. (District Head).

The Olota of Sango -Ota is the Paramount Ruler of Aworiland and the Awori who traditionally own Lagos since the 13th Century when Olofin Ogunfunminire left Ile-Ife.

Ijebu drove Benin out of Lagos but Lagos Island and metropolis belong to the Awori.

Lekki,Ikorodu, Epe is Ijebu.[/s]

U lack source... U made ur first claim and the link u posted said that he never came back to Yorubaland...
The paschal u quoted also said that all he wrote was hasty and inconclusive.... So if the author of a book says that his published work is false, what right now makes u conclude its true

Also from the same link that u posted, it is said that osifekunde never returned back to Yorubaland... It says and I quote
Pascal d'Avesac-Macaya arranged for Osifekunde to move to Sierra Leone (then a British colony established as a home for captives liberated by the West Africa Squadron) but Osifekunde didn't take the offer and according to P.C. Lloyd "preferred servitude under his former master in Brazil, where he could be with his own son".[5]

Lastly is Ijebu Remo and ijebu Ode the same village.. because osifekunde was from Ijebu Ode and so explain how another village will celebrate a mythical victory of another village

So how did osifekunde come back and note how ijebu reconquered lagos Esp when it was said that he spent time in Benin when his father sought asylum

Pls post the link where u saw that osifekunde returned otherwise I've trashed ur claims

Besides... If ijebu conquered Lagos like u claim... Then why did Oba Akitoye write this letter referring to the Benin instead of the Ijebu

7 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by manuelreports: 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2020
Is that why all afonjas are now claiming omo Lagos. Leaving their villages to rot away.
Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by BlowYourMind: 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2020
Pigs of baby factories have come again

1 Like

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00... This page is gotten from Daily Lives of Civilians in Wartime Africa: From Slavery Days to Rwandan ...
edited by John Laband

John Laband sources were from P.C.C Lloyd's book titled Africa Remembered .... P C C Lloyd got his facts from paschal and reproduced his works... So guy... Tell me when and how osifekunde came back when it was noted that he refused to leave

6 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 5:32pm On Sep 25, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Christistruth00... This page is gotten from Daily Lives of Civilians in Wartime Africa: From Slavery Days to Rwandan ...
edited by John Laband

John Laband sources were from P.C.C Lloyd's book titled Africa Remembered .... P C C Lloyd got his facts from paschal and reproduced his works... So guy... Tell me when and how osifekunde came back when it was noted that he refused to leave

Go and do your research properly and stop looking for excuses.

Osifekunde's Slave Narrative was Published in Paris in 1845 .

Ijebu defeated and drove Benin out of Lagos. Isale Eko was a Remnant of the Benin Occupation on Lagos Island.

Do you want to say it is lies and that Osifekunde didn't know his own Area of Lagos State that he was from?

Even Today the evidence is clear to see it is Ijebu, Egun and Awori that are indigenes of Lagos State not Edos and no one speaks Edo language.

From Sir Alfred Moloney
British Colonial Governor of Lagos 1890

1 Like 22 Shares

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

Go and do your research properly and stop looking for excuses.

Osifekunde's Slave Narrative was Published in Paris in 1845 .

Ijebu defeated and drove Benin out of Lagos. Isale Eko was a Remnant of the Benin Occupation on Lagos Island.

Do you want to say it is lies Osifekunde didn't know his own Area of Lagos State that he was from?

From Sir Alfred Moloney
British Colonial Governor of Lagos 1890
Lemme repeat the question...how did osifekunde hear abt ijebu winning any war against Benin when he left by 1810

By the way.. lemme repeat what paschal who interviewed osifekunde said

Btw... where does the pic u posted mention that ijebu defeated Benin

I've done my research already..

5 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 6:10pm On Sep 25, 2020
Etinosa1234:

U lack source... U made ur first claim and the link u posted said that he never came back to Yorubaland...
The paschal u quoted also said that all he wrote was hasty and inconclusive.... So if the author of a book says that his published work is false, what right now makes u conclude its true

Also from the same link that u posted, it is said that osifekunde never returned back to Yorubaland... It says and I quote
Pascal d'Avesac-Macaya arranged for Osifekunde to move to Sierra Leone (then a British colony established as a home for captives liberated by the West Africa Squadron) but Osifekunde didn't take the offer and according to P.C. Lloyd "preferred servitude under his former master in Brazil, where he could be with his own son".[5]

Lastly is Ijebu Remo and ijebu Ode the same village.. because osifekunde was from Ijebu Ode and so explain how another village will celebrate a mythical victory of another village

So how did osifekunde come back and note how ijebu reconquered lagos Esp when it was said that he spent time in Benin when his father sought asylum

Pls post the link where u saw that osifekunde returned otherwise I've trashed ur claims

Besides... If ijebu conquered Lagos like u claim... Then why did Oba Akitoye write this letter referring to the Benin instead of the Ijebu

Oba Akitoye only ruled Isale Eko district of Lagos Island it is still the same today. That is less than 3% of Lagos(Check map)

That is the Area inside the Yellow outline which consists of Ereko market and the surrounding streets.

Ikoyi occupies about 70% of the Island and that is under the Onikoyi who was of Oyo Origin.

Ijebu Remo and Ijebu Ode are all Ijebus.

Osifekunde's Slave Narrative was published in 1845 in Paris. He was Captured in 1820 and Osifekunded confirmed that Ijebu had driven Benin from Lagos Long before he was Captured.

Atlantique antérieurement aux grandes explorations portugaises du quinzième siècle, Librairie Fain et Thunot, Paris, 1845
https://archive.org/stream/noticedesdcouv00avez#page/n9/mode/2up

Isale Eko itself belongs to the Awori people

3 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 6:58pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

Oba Akitoye only ruled Isale Eko district of Lagos Island it is still the same today. That is less than 3% of Lagos(Check map)

That is the Area inside the Yellow outline which consists of Ereko market and the surrounding streets.

Ikoyi occupies about 70% of the Island and that is under the Onikoyi.

Ijebu Remo and Ijebu Ode are all Ijebus.

Osifekunde's Slave Narrative was published in 1845 in Paris.

Atlantique antérieurement aux grandes explorations portugaises du quinzième siècle, Librairie Fain et Thunot, Paris, 1845
https://archive.org/stream/noticedesdcouv00avez#page/n9/mode/2up

Isale Eko itself belongs to the Awori people

Are u saying that the Awori only had 3% of the entire Lagos...... The fact that history mostly made mention of the oba of Lagos and not all this upcoming artists springing up as kings should tell u how big the oba of Lagos was

And besides when are u going to post the document that says Benin were defeated by ijebu

Are u running away from that...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 7:04pm On Sep 25, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Are u saying that the Awori only had 3% of the entire Lagos...

And besides when are u going to post the document that says Benin were defeated by ijebu

Are u running away from that

All Lagos Metropolis apart from Lekki is Awori.

Oba of Lagos is a district head (Isale Eko District) in Aworiland.

1 Like

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Etinosa1234: 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2020
Christistruth00:

All Lagos Metropolis apart from Lekki is Awori.

Oba of Lagos is a district head (Isale Eko District) in Aworiland.

See clown... Awori district head.... So the Europeans made slavery transactions with a district head instead of the oga at the top...

So who was the major oba in Lagos after all...

I'm still yet to see where osifekunde came back from slavery to win a war against Benin

4 Likes

Re: Lagos As Part Of The Western Nigeria by Christistruth00: 7:14pm On Sep 25, 2020
Etinosa1234:

See clown... Awori district head.... So the Europeans made slavery transactions with a district head instead of the oga at the top...

So who was the major oba in Lagos after all...

I'm still yet to see where osifekunde came back from slavery to win a war against Benin

Oba of Lagos till 1956 was a Baale Position.
It was the Slave Port and Markets in Isale Eko that made him a Powerful Merchant Prince who traded with the Europeans.
The Awori themselves were not that keen on the Slave trade
I have posted the book link on Osifekunde already he didn't need to be in Lagos to get his story published just as Gustavus Vassa also published his own Slave narrative in Engliand both books are well recognised internationally.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of People Killed,during Ipob Peaceful Protest / Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's / Confusion In IPOB Over Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.