Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty (5073 Views)

Yoruba Declares Sovereignty, Set To Secceed From Nigeria / Ononuju Asks Amaechi To Resign Over Deal Conceding Nigeria Sovereignty To China / Galaxy Backbone: Clauses Conceding Nigeria's Sovereignty To China Uncovered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by proeast(m): 9:47am On Sep 26, 2020
SlayerForever:

There was no Togoland but they were a mostly homogeneous group till Britain saw a need (God knows what) to slice part of this people and add to their gold coast. Thereby creating this anomaly. Those people in that region are forever inclined to Togo.

Then there should be a referendum, the type that was conducted in Nigeria back in 1963 which ceded Bamenda region back to Cameroun. They have the right to self determination. If they chose to go with Togo, then let them be!
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by proeast(m): 9:53am On Sep 26, 2020
Wizzzzmike:

Dude ur too funny... You think Ghana is Nigeria huh lol... South Africans are kicking you guys out of their country think about that

Lol at the bold part. My dear, Ghana can't be Nigeria because you guys are way below in the grand scheme of things. If these Western Togoland people should get serious, your government will still run to Nigeria for help, same way Sierra Leon and Liberia did.

You should always respect your big brother because no matter how an elephant suffers from running stomach it can never emaciate to the level of a goat grin grin Choke on that cool cool

1 Like

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by obaaderemi: 9:56am On Sep 26, 2020
HeadShot:

Are you looking for your own break away...
What's the difference between eritea and Nigeria the poverty capital of the world..
Eritrea is poorer.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by SlayerForever: 10:05am On Sep 26, 2020
proeast:

Ndi landlock and padlock should come and discourage them too because it seems they have no coastline grin grin

Lol.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by proeast(m): 10:15am On Sep 26, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Nigeria and many other African nations are not as diverse as some of the countries in the Americas. West Africans have people of the same race but different ethnicities in a country and they are using it as an excuse while some of the countries in the Caribbean have up to four main races and yet have managed. The problem with Africa is the mindset. Regardless of how much they break into pieces, the issue will continue. I am Canadian and nobody really asks my "state of origin". Being Canadian is enough. Everybody is from everywhere. Just pay your tax and you're welcome. Each region is autonomous. And any other language you speak asides French and English don't count. But in Africa, there's so much emotional attachment to one's region of origin to the extent that some kill for it. If Igbos leave Nigeria, the states will still fight one another. It's just sad.

Here lies your answer! Are states or regions in Nigeria autonomous? If states and regions in Nigeria are autonomous or even semi autonomous, do you think Igbos or any other ethnic group will want to break away?

The problem with all these African countries and the agitations by separatists is borne out of frustration and despair. Do you know how painful it is for Igbos in Nigeria to be seeing how they're so unfairly treated? You gang up against them politically, economically and virtually every aspect of life!

Do you know how painful it is to be watching helplessly as your government continues to waste billions of dollars in the name of fighting Boko Haram, a self inflicted problem yet federal roads and other infrastructures in your own region are in total decay??

Buhari is building a railway line to Niger republic with but they claim there is money to build same in SE, a region inside Nigeria! They refuse to standardize AIIA Enugu but instead continue to play dirty politics on it, despite how long Igbos have desperately clamored for it!

If there is justice, fair play and equal rights, do you think Igbos will want to break away, considering how much they've invested in other regions of Nigeria?

These are the issues causing division!!!

1 Like

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by kuuljay(m): 10:25am On Sep 26, 2020
Coldie:
Ghana and Togo should form one country then Benin and Niger republic should be allowed to join Nigeria
for wetin na,wey we never chop belle full

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by RenaissanceGuy: 10:29am On Sep 26, 2020
SmartProf:
Ghana that their land is so small, by the time this guys break out from mainstream Ghana, the remaining parts of Ghana will be like the size of a street in Nigeria.
It's neither the size nor the population of a country that makes it great, else most European countries should have been paupers.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 26, 2020
SlayerForever:

till Britain saw a need (God knows what) to slice part of this people and add to their gold coast.

I saw this and stopped reading... sad

You really have to realize that what you have up there is capable of spreading misinformation.

The British didn't just wake up one morning to "slice part of this people", as you put it. A series of events led to it.

I hope you are fully aware how we got here, sir??

By the way, what I posted was not a ploy to totally dismiss their struggles. I just sort of found it laughable that they are willing to dump one colonial experiment for another. Surely, they could have come up with something more original- more autochthonous, couldn't they?

Read up the history of Togoland and you will see where I'm coming from. But pay very close attention to every minute detail once you begin.

We can't be having this debate until it is clear to me that we both are fully apprised of what the core issue really is here.

If you want to right the wrongs of colonialism, then they have to go the whole length.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Yankee101: 10:59am On Sep 26, 2020
Muna4real:

Well, they can have as many as they want as long as they feel free and happy in their own ancestral lands.

And you think any tribe is monolithic?
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Muna4real(f): 11:03am On Sep 26, 2020
Yankee101:

And you think any tribe is monolithic?

Yes I do. Any problem with that?
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Yankee101: 11:07am On Sep 26, 2020
Muna4real:

Yes I do. Any problem with that?

Therein lies the fallacy
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by SlayerForever: 11:18am On Sep 26, 2020
mansakhalifa:

I saw this and stopped reading... sad

You really have to realize that what you have up there is capable of spreading misinformation.

The British didn't just wake up one morning to "slice part of this people", as you put it. A series of events led to it.

I hope you are fully aware how we got here, sir??

By the way, what I posted was not a ploy to totally dismiss their struggles. I just sort of found it laughable that they are willing to dump one colonial experiment for another. Surely, they could have come up with something more original- more autochthonous, couldn't they?

Read up the history of Togoland and you will see where I'm coming from. But pay very close attention to every minute detail once you begin.

We can't be having this debate until it is clear to me that we both are fully apprised of what the core issue really is here.

If you want to right the wrongs of colonialism, then they have to go the whole length.

Okay it wasn't Britain in herself that sliced them. But does it take the point away from what I'm saying?

Why were a hitherto single group (as under Germany) split into two, one to Britain and the other to France? Why did they feel they can just do that? Why do they do this? That's the question.

And are you saying they should go back to being Togoland all through, and not just western Togoland? If that's your point, that can be achieved along the way.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Problemkid1: 11:31am On Sep 26, 2020
SmartProf:
Ghana that their land is so small, by the time this guys break out from mainstream Ghana, the remaining parts of Ghana will be like the size of a street in Nigeria.
Walai grin I just dey imagine how that place go small reach cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by a4cube: 11:33am On Sep 26, 2020
sinkhole:
All these breaking away thing is very useless in Africa.
Look at Eritrea and South Sudan, are those two now paradise after breaking away?
Nigeria and Ghana are they paradise? If no why should u expect paradise to come to come out from the9.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by sinkhole: 11:35am On Sep 26, 2020
a4cube:
Nigeria and Ghana are they paradise? If no why should u expect paradise to come to come out from the9.
So, what is the purpose of an action if it will not better your life?
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by WoundedLamb: 1:53pm On Sep 26, 2020
proeast:

Here lies your answer! Are states or regions in Nigeria autonomous? If states and regions in Nigeria are autonomous or even semi autonomous, do you think Igbos or any other ethnic group will want to break away?

The problem with all these African countries and the agitations by separatists is borne out of frustration and despair. Do you know how painful it is for Igbos in Nigeria to be seeing how they're so unfairly treated? You gang up against them politically, economically and virtually every aspect of life!

Do you know how painful it is to be watching helplessly as your government continues to waste billions of dollars in the name of fighting Boko Haram, a self inflicted problem yet federal roads and other infrastructures in your own region are in total decay??

Buhari is building a railway line to Niger republic with but they claim there is money to build same in SE, a region inside Nigeria! They refuse to standardize AIIA Enugu but instead continue to play dirty politics on it, despite how long Igbos have desperately clamored for it!

If there is justice, fair play and equal rights, do you think Igbos will want to break away, considering how much they've invested in other regions of Nigeria?

These are the issues causing division!!!

My point is that structured government that ensures each region is autonomous is the only real solution. That's the only reason this splitting stuff isn't happening in the Western World as it used to. The name Nigeria is not the problem, it is the leadership and poor resource allocation. With autonomy, these can be addressed.

1 Like

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by WoundedLamb: 2:02pm On Sep 26, 2020
SlayerForever:

North America has achieved integration over a very long time. Their cooperation today didn't fall from the sky. In Europe most of these countries are hugely if not entirely homogeneous in some cases. This has greatly fostered cooperation. Africa is constructed in a very bad way with greatly disjointed nations due to senseless acts of the colonialists. While this cooperation can be achieved it will take long long years like it did America. There is a great need for African governments to allow their territories become redefined. There can't be progress without cooperation.

The Americas wasn't always like it is today. Africa is known to behind in everything, the only advantage of that is that you guys would have the choice of avoiding some other countries' past mistakes and learning from their solutions. North America didn't just achieve unity with time, they did because they figured out a system of government that addresses the issue of splitting. Africa countries can borrow a leaf instead of splitting into pieces and further make themselves insignificant at the global stage.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by DerideGull(m): 2:02pm On Sep 26, 2020
Christistruth00:

That is Jerry Rawlings area . The Ewe tribe were divided between Ghana and Togo at Independence almost half in Togo some of them have not been happy about it since.They cooled down when Rawlings their Son was in power and forgot about secession .

Someone must have got on their nerves again.

The Ewe people migrated from Oyo and Ketu in the late 17th Century when the Aare Oona Kakanfo lead Oyo Army invaded Ghana as allies of the Dahomey to fight the Ashanti.

( Yorubas ancestors sabi look for fight , Ghana O !! )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Atakpamé

It was the other way around. The migration does not naturally flow from south to north. Yoruba people migrated from Yoro, in Bele province of Upper Volta Republic.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by DerideGull(m): 2:06pm On Sep 26, 2020
I cannot believe the issue of Western Togoland as an independent country has gone three pages on nairaland yet nobody has mention it is landlocked.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Christistruth00: 2:26pm On Sep 26, 2020
DerideGull:
I cannot believe the issue of Western Togoland as an independent country has gone three pages on nairaland yet nobody has mention it is landlocked.

Actually their plan is to join their Ewe brethren in Togo and those ones own almost the entire Ocean Coastline of Togo and Eastern part of Benin Republic Coast as well

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by a4cube: 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2020
sinkhole:
So, what is the purpose of an action if it will not better your life?
How do u know it will not better their life? Moreover why do people always give examples of those that are not doing well. Do you know of Singapore?
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by SlayerForever: 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2020
DerideGull:

No mind them. It's not Igbo in question that's why.

Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by sinkhole: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2020
a4cube:
How do u know it will not better their life? Moreover why do people always give examples of those that are not doing well. Do you know of Singapore?
We are talking about African example, please!
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by a4cube: 3:42pm On Sep 26, 2020
sinkhole:
We are talking about African example, please!
Heard of Namibia?
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by sinkhole: 3:46pm On Sep 26, 2020
a4cube:
Heard of Namibia?
They got independent from white ruled South Africa!
They did not "breakaway", in the context of like Eritrea, South Sudan etc and what the Western Ghana, Northern Cameroon and some people here in Nigeria are trying to do
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Christistruth00: 5:13pm On Sep 26, 2020
DerideGull:

It was the other way around. The migration does not naturally flow from south to north. Yoruba people migrated from Yoro, in Bele province of Upper Volta Republic.

You must have mistakenly got the wong tribe , of all Major West African tribes only the Fulani have an Oral History of Migrating from the West.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Wizzzzmike: 8:50pm On Sep 26, 2020
proeast:

Lol at the bold part. My dear, Ghana can't be Nigeria because you guys are way below in the grand scheme of things. If these Western Togoland people should get serious, your government will still run to Nigeria for help, same way Sierra Leon and Liberia did.

You should always respect your big brother because no matter how an elephant suffers from running stomach it can never emaciate to the level of a goat grin grin Choke on that cool cool

Lol illiterate is a b!tch..... If Nigeria can stop Boko Haram and Niger delta I'll clap for ur country.

Big brother my ass lol... Ghana got the independence before you who's the kid here little bro lol.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Wizzzzmike: 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2020
Rosskii:

Envy over what? Your weak military?

They are now issuing travel advisory on your ''safe, peaceful'' Ghana.

You should be worried about that, Mr ''lol''.

Lol illiterate is a b!tch... Ghana will never and ever be shithole like Nigeria... Ghana is still one of most peaceful country in the world and u envy us lol...military are you sick lol when ur strong military finish with Boko Haram and Niger delta people will talk again LMFAO
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Wizzzzmike: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2020
loyedammy:

You had better start training......on how to survive the coming years, how many minutes will it take those guys To march from their place to Accra. By proxy we are behind togoland, shebi u people dnt want to have sense, u guys even have the guts to come and insult, make jest of us on our forum too.

Just call on us if u need help, as per ur big brother

Lol illiterate is a b!tch
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by timay(m): 8:58pm On Sep 26, 2020
Wizzzzmike:

Lol illiterate is a b!tch..... If Nigeria can stop Boko Haram and Niger delta I'll clap for ur country.

Big brother my ass lol... Ghana got the independence before you who's the kid here little bro lol.

See this Bros. If it is by age, countries like Britain and France will be bigger and more influential than the USA, because France and Britain are older, infact the USA is a British creation. But today, USA is bigger and more influential than both today.
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by Wizzzzmike: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2020
timay:

See this Bros. If it is by age, countries like Britain and France will be bigger and more influential than the USA, because France and Britain are older, infact the USA is a British creation. But today, USA is bigger and more influential than both today.

So influence means am ur big brother? Does that runs in ur family? Come again boy ur joke is too weak
Re: Ghana's Western Togoland Region Declares Sovereignty by nototribalist: 9:45pm On Sep 26, 2020
sinkhole:
All these breaking away thing is very useless in Africa.
Look at Eritrea and South Sudan, are those two now paradise after breaking away?

At least they have peace from parasites like you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandits Release Shocking Video Of Kidnapped Greenfield University Students / Labour Party VP Candidate, Ahmed Yusuf, Insults Zack Orji For Supporting Tinubu / Nigeria Removed From Us 'mandatory Screening' List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.