Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,041 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control (1821 Views)

South-West Governors Propose Six Regions, Demand LG Autonomy, Resource Control / Quit Notice : You’re An Ingrate, Angry Northern Governor's Aide Blasts Akeredolu / Obadiah Mailafiya: A Northern Governor Is The Commander Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by ggood: 8:17am On Sep 28, 2020
Governor condemns push for resource control

By Clara Nwachukwu, Business Editor |   22 September 2020   |   4:20

• Promises tax incentives, others to investors.

As Niger Delta governors continue to push for resource control, their counterparts in the northern region believe current structure, which confers ownership of all natural resources on the Federal Government’s and prescribes the allocation of 13 per cent derivation is most suitable for Nigeria.

Speaking with select editors at the Government House in Lafia, Nasarawa State Capital, Governor Abdullahi Sule, reiterated that he will not support any move toward resource control, while responding to whether he will support a bill to that effect.

He said: “Nasarawa State will not be at the forefront of encouraging the Federal Government to relinquish its ownership of minerals for the states to take ownership. Nasarawa State will not do that. We believe very strongly that it would be disadvantageous to the interest of the nation for Nasarawa State to push for such a move that states should take control, and that is what they call resource control, and Nasarawa State will not be at the forefront of resource control.”

Rather than resource control, Sule advised state governors to push for local content development for their respective resources, which would impact Nigerians and the economy more.

He argued that it was selfish for governors to want to control the natural resources in their domain, saying: “If for our own selfish interest we say: yes, we push for resource control, then how would our neighbours survive? That is the reason why the Federal Government needs to keep the ownership.

“Nasarawa State believes in local content development and local participation and that is what we are trying to drive when it comes to that aspect. And the reason why it (resource control) is bad is because Nigeria is endowed with mineral resources, but they are not in every state. So, if we allow the states, because Nasarawa also has some oil deposits by the way, and so far it has been certified that it is of commercial quantity, and all the minerals you have mentioned. If Nasarawa would say that, how about other states like Taraba, Plateau, and Benue that probably don’t have that, how would they gain?”

As a result, Sule insisted that “It’s better to continue with the federal allocation. Already, the Federal Government is doing a lot by saying there is 13 per cent derivation for the states. Whatever comes from the minerals in your own state, you get the 13 per cent derivation, and that is the reason why today, some of the states, their federal allocation could be as much as N20 billion, and the other states would be as low as N3 billion, because they don’t have the minerals. Those are the kinds of things that I believe we can do. Now, you mentioned the various ones that we have, and I strongly agree with you that we should try as much as possible to develop them, which was why I told you I am participating in the local content seminar, that way, Nigerians should have ownership.”

Meanwhile, the governor has promised investors of many incentives, including tax holidays for investing in Nasarawa State. He also assured them of adequate return on their investments.

Given his background of coming from the private sector, having resigned as the Managing Director of Dangote Sugar Refinery, Sule said: “I come from that background, and understand that background, and would not make life very difficult for an investor. I would make life easy for an investor. I would not allow any investor to stay that number of years without making money. We would find a way for him to make his money, because it is only when he makes his money that we would make our money.”

In regards to the tax holidays, he said his government is willing to negotiate on agreeable terms with investors based on the investment proposals in terms of: “What kind of employment are you going to generate? What kind of corporate social responsibility (CSR) are you providing to the people? In your business plan, you don’t have to tell us your profit; we don’t need to know the exact money, just give us an idea. Then how are you going to affect the environment? What kind of pollution would be there and how would the people be affected.”

He added: “We tell the investors that we know what we are doing, and we tell them that definitely we are interested in their return on investments. If the investors understand that you understand them, and that you are willing to work with them, I think that is an attraction for investments and that’s what we have been doing. We have been able to attract few investments so far, and we believe that we would attract a lot more by the time they know directly where we are going. Recently, I saw on the news the five states that have the highest foreign direct investments, and we were lucky Nasarawa was one of the states that were mentioned. Indeed, we are working to see that we attract some of these investments by providing the investors with what they need because we know what they need.

https://m.guardian.ng/business-services/governor-condemns-push-for-resource-control-2/amp/

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by bernard1000001(m): 8:21am On Sep 28, 2020
a
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Jafar1: 8:33am On Sep 28, 2020
Ok
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Marine54(m): 8:41am On Sep 28, 2020
This northern parasites will never let Nigeria move forward. With 13% oil derivation, look at the rate of development taking place in my home state Akwa Ibom, then imagine what 'll happen when we take 100% control of our resources . We're Blessed with good leaders though..

14 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by proeast(m): 9:21am On Sep 28, 2020
But when Nigeria finally breaks up, I hope you will still tell us to give you 87%. No wahala enjoy the awoof while it lasts.

9 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Rugaria: 9:41am On Sep 28, 2020
Division is the ultimate answer! These people pratically dictate the quantity of beef on our table every meal through a government policy that banned the importation of beef therby making the fulani herders the monopolies in this area. Nigerians are underfed as a result! They have raked in billions from all parts of West Africa as a result of these extreme government measures that favour them... They don't pay taxes! Their brothers from other parts of West Africa come in and go out freely from our porous borders, selling millions of cows while draining the country of foreign exchange! They pay no tax! They answer to nobody! Yet they will be the ones to drag revenue from oil with oil producing States! States like Kaduna and Kano even get more oil money than some oil producing areas! Separation will be the only way to stop this!

11 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by helinues: 9:44am On Sep 28, 2020
Parasites

5 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by juvewalex(m): 9:48am On Sep 28, 2020
He understands he will be made accountable by the people he governs for huge money they've been looting ,as there will be no Federal government to put blames on anymore how he manages resources .

Also you spend what you earn and available rather than to be waiting for Federal government to collect big from Peter and shares with Paul that does nothing Worthy of note.

3 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by WhizdomXX(m): 9:53am On Sep 28, 2020
I wasn't suprised when I saw the state he's from. Just one question, if his state had crude oil would he be saying this? Hypocrites over to you.

4 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by BUHARImyDOG: 9:55am On Sep 28, 2020
Everything bringing Nigeria down to her knees are coming from the NORTH

Illiteracy

Acute Ignorance

Backwardness

Selfishness

Terrorism

Extremism

Bigotry

Extreme poverty

And every evil you can think of

Laws are not even followed in the North. The quest for Tight vagina and more women and power is the only thing they could do better in.

But the worst is that their Muslim slaves from the *_WASTE_* always support them out FEAR!

6 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by ggood: 10:03am On Sep 28, 2020
Marine54:
This northern parasites will never let Nigeria move forward ! angry
they are dragging Southern Nigeria backward

5 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Marine54(m): 10:13am On Sep 28, 2020
ggood:
they are dragging Southern Nigeria backward
TRUTH !

4 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by ImmaculateJOE(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2020
Fear NOT North

1 Like

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by ImmaculateJOE(m): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2020
helinues:
Parasites

Wow... I like the fact that you grown some balls to speak against Northern atrocities.
Is like you were re-baptized...

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by gbowoade85142: 10:36am On Sep 28, 2020
This northeast worms will never let Nigeria move forward !

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by DeltaFire: 10:40am On Sep 28, 2020
SEPARATION FROM AREWA is the only answer for Middle Belt and South.

These PARASITES!

4 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 28, 2020
Parasites
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by slivertongue: 10:47am On Sep 28, 2020
" He argued that it was selfish for governors to want to control the natural resources in their domain, saying: “If for our own selfish interest we say: yes, we push for resource control, then how would our neighbours survive? That is the reason why the Federal Government needs to keep the ownership,"

sule called it natural resources not national resources yet he call the controls of resources within a given locality selfish interest. control yours and allow your neighbour control his. God has blessed all of us.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by tobechi74: 10:53am On Sep 28, 2020
Good for them
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Racoon(m): 10:54am On Sep 28, 2020
Parasites benefitting from a union they barely contribute nothing will rarely let go.

3 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Lipscomb(m): 10:59am On Sep 28, 2020
Which good leader you are blessed with I'm just looking at your foolishness.
Marine54:
This northern parasites will never let Nigeria move forward. With 13% oil derivation, look at the rate of development taking place in my home state Akwa Ibom, then imagine what 'll happen when we take 100% control of our resources . We're Blessed with good leaders though..
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Marine54(m): 11:06am On Sep 28, 2020
Lipscomb:
Which good leader you are blessed with I'm just looking at your foolishness.
I m just stating the Obvious. Go to my state and see things for yourself !

4 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by royallord1(m): 11:12am On Sep 28, 2020
undecided
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by loveth360(f): 11:17am On Sep 28, 2020
Even Yorubas don't want that.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Daddysidhan: 11:17am On Sep 28, 2020
Gold diggers

1 Like

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by TooMuchStuff: 11:42am On Sep 28, 2020
Rugaria:
Division is the ultimate answer! These people pratically dictate the quantity of beef on our table every meal through a government policy that ban the impotation of beef therby making the fulani herders the monopolies in this area. Nigerians are underfed as a result! They have raked in billions from all parts of West Africa as a result these extreme government measures that favour them... They don't pay tax! Their brothers from other parts of West Africa come in and go out freely from our porous borders, selling millions of cows while draining the country of foreign exchange! They pay no tax! They answer to nobody! Yet they will be the ones to drag revenue from oil with oil producing States! States like Kaduna and Kano even get more oil money than some oil producing areas! Separation will be the only way to stop this!
Bros. Oil full ya head. U too much.
Nigeria has only one problem called Fulanis

2 Likes

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 28, 2020
Every Nigerian owns the oil. We say no to resource control. Southwest once fed the whole country with proceeds from cocoa exports likewise north with agriculture. As long as we remain one Nigeria and i pray we never break up, we all own the oil. You are even lucky to get 13% derivation. What else do you want?
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Antoeni(m): 11:51am On Sep 28, 2020
What are they Scared of

1 Like

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by selemempe: 12:15pm On Sep 28, 2020
Dickeyrider:
Every Nigerian owns the oil. We say no to resource control. Southwest once fed the whole country with proceeds from cocoa exports likewise north with agriculture. As long as we remain one Nigeria and i pray we never break up, we all own the oil. You are even lucky to get 13% derivation. What else do you want?
behold the mind of a yoruba Moslem. When we tell Niger Delta that Igbos are the ONLY allies they have, some of them doubt it...negodu

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by BlackfireX: 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2020
grin

The north have spoken
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by nazicartel(m): 2:26pm On Sep 28, 2020
This Northerners seff... I believe they have been mining for a very long time before the issues escalated,,, States needs to control their resources.....
Re: Northern Governor's Condemns Push For Resource Control by Sonoyom(m): 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2020
What will states like Nasarawa control? maybe cows

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Government Should Place A Sanction On UK Government. / Kunle Ologundudu Blast Tinubu, Gani Adams, Gov.makinde, Femi Falana, Dele Momodu / Breaking! Dangote Is Dead!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.