Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,759 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

One Thing I Noticed In This Section - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / One Thing I Noticed In This Section (639 Views)

Chatgbt Is A Scam. It Cant Solve This Simple Thing I Ask Him / Aren't There Any C++ Devs On This Section Or Programmers That Do Complex Stuff? / Why Nairaland Need A Total Restructuring Especially This Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Karleb(m): 11:30am On Sep 28, 2020
People here get carried away by amazing front-end. They don't care much about what the app actually does.

A certain fellow posted 2 projects here recently, which were nice. You could easily conclude that the guy was a junior who knew his onions (or tutorials) but he received serious bashing from a fellow, probably because his UI wasn't so great.

But the app did what he said it does, login and registration working properly, you could create a post, you could upload a picture that could be liked (more than once since you don't need to be authenticated to post a picture), it has a view counter...

Another fellow posted his startup here, a lot of people seriously complained about "the hero" which didn't received proper x-axis margin. But only few dived into the app to test it.

Another fellow here few months ago built a static portfolio website, which was very good, it was well animated and the guy received serious praises here.

This makes me wonder whether we have more users than programmers here.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 28, 2020
First impression matters, people judge sites by the ui if the ui(frontend) is ugly then the website is already bad regardless of how functional the back end is, but if the ui is good then after some time of using it (it's not so easy to notice how horrible the back end is) then would the user notice if the website is good or bad.

4 Likes

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Deicide: 1:03pm On Sep 28, 2020
Well one thing I notice is that programmers really suck at design, well I know I do grin

1 Like

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by 404Dev: 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2020
SegFault:
First impression matters, people judge sites by the ui if the ui(frontend) is ugly then the website is already bad regardless of how functional the back end is, but if the ui is good then after some time of using it (it's not so easy to notice how horrible the back end is) then would the user notice if the website is good or bad.

Yea I get your but when you are learning you would expect feedback based on what you are learning as you are not really building an app to sale or product.

I know the thread he spoke about the guy who built the image sharing site with go, obviously that's a beginner just learning go maybe following along a tutorial or course and when you are doing that your goal isn't to shop out the most beautifully pleasing ui but just understand what you are learning and get your code and app to work. It would be a different scenario if the guy was say learning ui design then you critique his ui but someone learning go you critique the app - functionality, code etc as he is not a designer.

2 Likes

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by 404Dev: 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2020
Deicide:
Well one thing I notice is that programmers really suck at design, well I know I do grin
A programmer is not a designer though one can be both. It is more like hiring a bricklayer and instantly expecting him to also be an amazing painter though one can be both.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 28, 2020
One thing I noticed is.... No real programmer visit this shitholee section anymore

Only wannabes and Wordpress or php script pasters everywhere
Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:08pm On Sep 28, 2020
Very true but karleb most times your app is first seen by someone in HR before it gets to the development team. If the HR person sees an ugly app he is gonna think the app is rubbish. One just has to make their app look good o. If it looks good they assume it works good.

1 Like

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Karleb(m): 11:23pm On Sep 28, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Very true but karleb most times your app is first seen by someone in HR before it gets to the development team. If the HR person sees an ugly app he is gonna think the app is rubbish. One just has to make their app look good o. If it looks good they assume it works good.

I agree.

My issue is when a fellow programmer criticizes an app like HR managers. If my UI is ugly tell me that but don't stop there, check to see if my login and registration works properly.

Check to see if my website is prone to SQL injection...

It becomes funny when fellow programmers don't factor in the 300, 400 and 500 HTTP errors a programmer faced or even the stress of hosting server driven website for the first time to declare an application unfit just because of bad or a not so good UI.

1 Like

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:26pm On Sep 28, 2020
Karleb:

I agree.

My issue is when a fellow programmer criticizes an app like HR managers. If my UI is ugly tell me that but don't stop there, check to see if my login and registration works properly.

Check to see if my website is prone to SQL injection...

It becomes funny when fellow programmers don't factor in the 300, 400 and 500 HTTP errors a programmer faced or even the stress of hosting server driven website for the first time to declare an application unfit just because of bad or a not so good UI.
Yeah true programmers ought to know more. I looked at the guys app and he really did well with authentication. The image app you can also take in images from your computer and show it on the screen. The guy really did a lot of work there.

1 Like

Re: One Thing I Noticed In This Section by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 30, 2020
Functionality and security are the two most important stuff.

See so many news of data breaches here https://www.google.com/search?q=data+breach&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj8hv2buo_sAhUiUBUIHRShBZgQ_AUoAXoECBkQAQ&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=4
costing companies a lot of money and reputation. These are the issues with self taught programmers they care more about the look, latest technology and plugins whether or not it can handle all the functionalities and security required.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Think I Need An Assistant... Huh? / Mobile App Development - "Flutter Does That" Series 1 / Contract Job Ubuntu, Centos, Redhat OS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.