Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho (321 Views)

Manchester United Lifting The Carabao Cup — First Trophy Under Erik Ten Hag / Can Jose Pireso Contract Be Terminated We Don't Need Him Again / "I Don't Need To Be Captain" - Paul Pogba Hits Back At Coach Jose Mourinho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho by Pantoo: 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2020
Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says he has all but given up on the Carabao Cup because of their gruelling fixture schedule. Spurs face rivals Chelsea in the fourth round on Tuesday night – their third game in a run of five matches in 11 days.

Mourinho insists the EFL have given him no choice but to make wholesale changes because Spurs must prioritise Thursday's clash with Maccabi Haifa in the more lucrative Europa League.

'I would like to fight for the Carabao but I don't think I can,' he said. 'We have a game on Thursday that gives us not as much money as the Champions League but the group phase of the Europa League gives us a certain amount that for a club like us is very important.

'It's a competition with a possible group phase that gives us a good chance to go through to the next knockout stage so this game on Thursday is very important for us.'

On the prospect of rotating his squad, Mourinho added: 'You can imagine that with a game on Thursday that decides a very important thing for us, I think the EFL made the decision for us. They didn't even create us a problem, they made the decision for us.'

Mourinho was full of praise for his side's performance against Newcastle on Sunday – despite a controversial handball decision costing his side victory in stoppage time.

Chelsea, meanwhile, had to come from 3-0 down to rescue a point at newly-promoted West Brom. But Mourinho didn't take kindly to the suggestion that his side stood a good chance of victory on Tuesday night.

'Are you joking or serious?' he said. 'Chelsea played on Saturday, they have Sunday and Monday. Then they played Tuesday and then they play again on the weekend. So (with) their fantastic squad - if the manager (Frank Lampard) decides not to rotate, he can perfectly play with the players that he wants.'

Spurs will be without Son Heung-min who injured his hamstring against Newcastle and Mourinho expects 'more (injuries) will come'. He said everyone else is in contention to play – even Dele Alli, who has been left out of his last two Premier League squads.

Tottenham reached the fourth round courtesy of a bye following a mass coronavirus outbreak at previous opponents Leyton Orient.

The League Two side wanted the lucrative tie re-arranged, only for the EFL to eliminate them from the competition.

'I think (Orient) have to be very, very upset. I think they have to, I have total sympathy for them,' Mourinho said. 'I don't think they did anything wrong - they were tested, I think they deserve to play against us, no doubt about it.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJhBaee1d7E

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Headline/Jose-Mourinho-says-hes-GIVEN-UP-on-Carabao-Cup-because-of-Tottenhams-gruelling-fixture-schedule/2451009
Re: 'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho by chybuzky(m): 3:48pm On Sep 28, 2020
Mourinho and excuse be like 5&6
Re: 'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho by GolDRoger: 3:58pm On Sep 28, 2020
Mind Games Master. . .
He just drop that Line incase they Lose. .
Re: 'I Would Like To Fight For The Carabao But I Don't Think I Can,' - Jose Mourinho by Fulks217: 5:24pm On Sep 28, 2020
This man problems too much

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Decision Could Push Messi To Make Early Man City Transfer. / Laliga: Barcelona Release Strong Statement Against VAR / Obafemi Martins Shows Off His Cars And Speed Boat (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.