Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? (1129 Views)

Where Are My Hausa Speaking Nairalanders? Please Come In Let's Have A Talk. / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Please Help Translate These Songs Into English (gift Included). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 4:11am On Sep 29, 2020
I honesty don't know if these words have any "official" Igbo meaning, Google translate is of no help. It either gave wrong answers or went out of context. I'm trying to expand my Igbo vocabulary and I discovered that I can't express a lot of English words in Igbo. Please help me translate these as best as you can and if any of y'all have any words to add, feel free to do so.

1) Freedom
2) Alcohol
3)Luxury
4)Temperature
5)Entertain/entertainment
6)Jewelry
7)curl/curly
cool wall
9)horizontal
10)lust

cc lalasticlala
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Mood11: 4:31am On Sep 29, 2020
grin
Lemme try cheesy
1. Nwere'onwe
2. Mmanya
3. Aku n'uba
4. Temperature grin
5. Ihe obiutó
6. Ochómma
7. Curly angry
8. Aja ulo/uno
9. Horizontaal grin
10. Nlefe anya

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by chukwuibuipob: 4:36am On Sep 29, 2020
sad
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Abiababe(f): 5:10am On Sep 29, 2020
No Idea
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by orisa37: 5:46am On Sep 29, 2020
All na "ORISIRISI" "IRI IRI" "NANPANANPA".
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 29, 2020
1) Freedom- inwe onwe, nwereonwe

2) Alcohol-mmanya na-aba n'anya

3)Luxury- ihe mkporindu

4)Temperature- ekpomoku

5)Entertain/entertainment-ihe nkiri, ikpa ukoochi

6)Jewelry- ola

7)curl/curly- nkoji nkoji

coolwall-ahuruaja,ahuaja

9)horizontal-uhie

10)lust-aguu ikwa iko

You posed these questions like someone who has a preconceived 'knowledge' that there are no Igbo equivalents. If so, change the notion with the above answers. I guess that if you had lived in AlaIgbo for some reasonable years,be literate in Igbo and listen to programmes with Igbo Izugbe as the language of communication, it wouldn't have been difficult for you up to this.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by OfoIgbo: 10:09am On Sep 29, 2020
Columba90:

3)Luxury- ihe mkporindu

4)Temperature- ekpomoku

6)Jewelry- ola

coolwall-ahuruaja,ahuaja

9)horizontal-uhie

10)lust-aguu ikwa iko

You posed these questions like someone who has a preconceived 'knowledge' that there are no Igbo equivalents. If so, change the notion with the above answers. I guess that if you had lived in AlaIgbo for some reasonable years,be literate in Igbo and listen to programmes with Igbo Izugbe as the language of communication, it wouldn't have been difficult for you up to this.

Very good attempt.

The only additions I will make are these
2) Alcohol - Mmanya oku (it can also be called mmanya na-aba n'anya)
8 ) Wall - Aru Aja and also Aja uno/ulo

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 29, 2020
Go to your village and ask the Igwe mazi
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:08pm On Sep 29, 2020
Wow excellent! I admit, I didn't grow up in the eastern part of Nigeria and although igbo was mostly spoken at home, it was usually mixed with English.I never had any chance to have a deep knowledge of the language. I wish I could speak flawless igbo without having to throw in English words.
Columba90:

3)Luxury- ihe mkporindu

4)Temperature- ekpomoku

6)Jewelry- ola

coolwall-ahuruaja,ahuaja

9)horizontal-uhie

10)lust-aguu ikwa iko

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:08pm On Sep 29, 2020
You try lol. You're better than me at least.
Mood11:
grin
Lemme try cheesy
1. Nwere'onwe
2. Mmanya
3. Aku n'uba
4. Temperature grin
5. Ihe obiutó
6. Ochómma
7. Curly angry
8. Aja ulo/uno
9. Horizontaal grin
10. Nlefe anya
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:10pm On Sep 29, 2020
Chai a whole Abia babe like you? embarassed
Abiababe:
No Idea
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by mii4u(f): 4:52pm On Sep 29, 2020
Columba90:

3)Luxury- ihe mkporindu

4)Temperature- ekpomoku

6)Jewelry- ola

coolwall-ahuruaja,ahuaja

9)horizontal-uhie

10)lust-aguu ikwa iko

U nailed it.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 29, 2020
ladyGKilaBCrueD:
Wow excellent! I admit, I didn't grow up in the eastern part of Nigeria and although igbo was mostly spoken at home, it was usually mixed with English.I never had any chance to have a deep knowledge of the language. I wish I could speak flawless igbo without having to throw in English words.

Mmm... 'without having to throw in English words'... ? That one will be a dead language o, dead Igbo. Igbo as a modern language,like any other modern language, uses borrowed words. So, it's very much possible for you to speak this living Igbo, depending on your age and interest though. To have been listening to it since childhood is even a great plus.
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Abiababe(f): 6:15pm On Sep 30, 2020
ladyGKilaBCrueD:
Chai a whole Abia babe like you? embarassed

Oyibo Abia babe ���
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by bigfrancis21: 5:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
ladyGKilaBCrueD:
I honesty don't know if these words have any "official" Igbo meaning, Google translate is of no help. It either gave wrong answers or went out of context. I'm trying to expand my Igbo vocabulary and I discovered that I can't express a lot of English words in Igbo. Please help me translate these as best as you can and if any of y'all have any words to add, feel free to do so.

1) Freedom
2) Alcohol
3)Luxury
4)Temperature
5)Entertain/entertainment
6)Jewelry
7)curl/curly
cool wall
9)horizontal
10)lust

cc lalasticlala

1) Freedom - Nweluonwe.
2) Alcohol - Nmanya oku
3) Luxury - Azi
4) Temperature - ??
5) Entertainment - mmemme
6) Jewelry - Ona
7) Curl/Curly - isi gbakolu agbako
8.) Wall - aja/aru aja
9) Horizontal - ??
10) Lust - Iko/ikwa iko

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by Obinoscopy(m): 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2020
bigfrancis21:

1) Freedom - Nweluonwe.
2) Alcohol - Nmanya oku
3) Luxury - Azi
4) Temperature - ??
6) Jewelry - Ona
8.) Wall - aja/aru aja
9) Horizontal - ??
10) Lust - Iko/ikwa iko
Temperature/Climate is Okpomọkụ
Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2020
lol you try
bigfrancis21:

1) Freedom - Nweluonwe.
2) Alcohol - Nmanya oku
3) Luxury - Azi
4) Temperature - ??
6) Jewelry - Ona
8.) Wall - aja/aru aja
9) Horizontal - ??
10) Lust - Iko/ikwa iko

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2020
but okpomoku implies weather that's hot, we could as well call it "okpomoyi". isn't there a neutral term to describe temperature?
Obinoscopy:

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by bigfrancis21: 3:45pm On Oct 03, 2020
Obinoscopy:

Okpomoku is heat. Temperature is a generic name for how hot or cold something is, a name which Igbo doesn’t have. Except if the word, ekpomoku, can be adapted to mean temperature in this sense. Temperature can also mean hot ie someone is running a temperature but I don’t think the author had this usage in mind when she asked.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:45pm On Oct 03, 2020
Columba90:

Mmm... 'without having to throw in English words'... ? That one will be a dead language o, dead Igbo. Igbo as a modern language,like any other modern language, uses borrowed words. So, it's very much possible for you to speak this living Igbo, depending on your age and interest though. To have been listening to it since childhood is even a great plus.
I understand you, my late grandma didn't speak a lick of English but she was able to convey all her thoughts and ideas perfectly well without resorting to borrowed English words so it's possible to attain that level of fluency

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? by ladyGKilaBCrueD(f): 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2020
exactly what I just said
bigfrancis21:

Okpomoku is heat. Temperature is a generic name for how hot or cold something is, a name which Igbo doesn’t have. Except if the word can be adapted to mean temperature in this sense. Temperature can also mean hot ie someone is running a temperature but I don’t think the author had this usage in mind when she asked.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb / Amazing Story Of 4-year-old Adigun Olowe Yoruba The Proverbs Encyclopaedia / Ifa Divination For The Month Of Septemper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.