Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,226 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

How A Silly Mistake Cost Me Many Job Opportunities - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How A Silly Mistake Cost Me Many Job Opportunities (440 Views)

Warri/niger Delta Job Opportunities / There Is A Mistake On The Date Of Birth On My NYSC Dashboard. What Do I Do? / Graduate Engineer Trainings And Job Opportunities Nation-wide! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How A Silly Mistake Cost Me Many Job Opportunities by waolatz12(m): 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2020
If you've had to attend interviews and you never nailed the job, then, I must ask you a simple question.

Have you considered what you may be doing wrong?

Maybe not.

Something happened to me last year and I felt I should share with you.

After all, we all need some of doze of motivation to forge ahead irrespective of the challenges of life.

Last year, precisely October 2019, I was traumatized, extremely broke with no hope for what would happen next.

I had graduated from polytechnic, finished with good grades, among the top students in the polytechnic with the belief that a job is certain afterward.

But it didn't turn out as expected.

My hope was shattered, it seemed nothing was going to happen, my dreams were going to crumble before my very face.

I applied for several jobs, went for interviews, and all they kept saying was a common frustrating cliche:

"We'll get back to you".

I never thought it wise to examine myself about what I was doing wrong.

My account was going red, it has literally turned to a university grade point (4.50).

I got frustrated and was going to find a menial job to lay my hands upon.

But just before I concluded, another job opportunity was unlocked and I decided to test the waters.

This time, I wanted to do everything possible to get the job, so I met someone I'd call Uncle John.

Uncle John was among the top managers at the Dangote Group of companies and had been selected numerous times to conduct interviews for job seekers.

I asked him to assess my performance at interviews, so he conducted an arbitrary interview for me.

After taking me through a series of assessments, he told me something I couldn't believe.

He said he would have loved to hire me if he was the hiring manager but a response I made would outrightly disqualify me from any position.

I was shocked and curiously, I asked why he made such a disheartening statement.

I needed some well-thought-out advice from him, and so I considered it wise to listen to whatever he had to say.

After so much persuasion for feedback, he gave me a simple but absolutely weird response which is quoted this way:

"You didn't give me enough professional reason to hire you"

Within a flash of seconds I quickly remembered what I said when he asked the question:

"Why should we hire you"

I later discovered that my response was indeed unprofessional.

Many of us think these interview questions are not worth preparing for, but the question is:

After submitting numerous applications and making tons of pitching, isn't it worth it to prepare for the final lap?

What do you respond when you're being asked this simple but technical question?

What do you think the employer wants to hear?

Many of us will spill it out in a comical way by saying something like this:

"You should hire me because I hold a bachelor's degree from one of the top university in Nigeria and I'm also fully aware that you need someone to fill this position, I think I can do the job"

While this sounds innocent and well-articulated, it's nonetheless irrelevant to the question the hiring manager is asking.

To answer this question you need to make sure your response clearly states why you are the best person for the position.

Remember, you are not the only one the hiring manager is interviewing.

That means you need to possess a unique ability that will make you exceptional.

To professionally answer the question you need to prove that:

You can perform the task excellently

You will perfectly fit into the position and be a great addition to the team.

You possess the right skills and experience that make you stand out.

For example, if you are you are applying for a marketing role you can say something like:

From your job advert, I understand that your company is looking for an experienced marketer that will grow your business and help the company stand out from its competitors.

At my previous company, I increased sales by 30% within the space of one year by devising a targeted social media advertising strategy.

I will definitely bring in that spirit of ownership and innovation to this company if I'm giving the opportunity.

Did you see that?

No employer will be able to resist this kind of answer.

When you answer like this you are creating an irresistible offer that your employer won't be able to resist.

I know this response may be literally unusable to you if you're just starting out or probably an undergraduate…

but there's however a way you can tweak this response to suit your style.

So over to you

How are you going to approach your next job interview?

How much of preparations are you going to give?

If you have no idea about how to land your first job, or how to get a winning interview…

You can still join my FREE class where I share some secret codes on how to land your first job and approach interviews.

If you are interested in this class simply respond with[i] "I'm interested" [/i]in the comment box.

Or chat me up on WhatsApp on 08032624915

See you in class.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Taraba 2020 Batch B Stream 2 / Fresh Registration For NYSC Begins March 3rd / NYSC Distance Learning Requirements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.