Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Rough Terrain Roads. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rough Terrain Roads. (2295 Views)

These 4 Expensive Cars Abandoned On Nigeria Roads Cost 1.2 Billion Naira / The Russian-Made 8 Wheels Shaman All-Terrain Vehicle: The Biggest SUV Ever / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 1:07pm On Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone on here,rainy season has messed up all parts of where i reside. I mean if you miss a left pot hole,you will meet one in the middle of right. Whats the best suv to get for bad roads here in nigeria. I've been thinking about a volkswagen touareg 2007 model. Is it a good choice of suv,built specifically for off roads. What are the pros and cons of a v6 volkswagen touareg? Or any better option... i love the 4runner,but its too long .

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2020
AreahCode:
Hi everyone on here,rainy season has messed up all parts of where i reside. I mean if you miss a left pot hole,you will meet one in the middle of right. Whats the best suv to get for bad roads here in nigeria. I've been thinking about a volkswagen touareg 2007 model. Is it a good choice of suv,built specifically for off roads. What are the pros and cons of a v6 volkswagen touareg? Or any better option... i love the 4runner,but its too long .

The toureg is a solid car, very luxurious for it's class. The diesel engine is one of the best and the air suspension is to die for.

VW and Audi engines requires premium fluid at all times and when the vehicle breAks down, you need a qualified technician with high-end scan tool to diagnose the vehicle.

I will advise the 4runner but with V8 engine as the v6 engine if needs replacing is quite expensive

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 3:44pm On Oct 01, 2020
You mean 4runner v6 is a no go area touareg is also a problematic car. Is it a defect from manufacturer.. or just general assumption.
So what suv is best
nurey:

The toureg is a solid car, very luxurious for it's class. The diesel engine is one of the best and the air suspension is to die for.

VW and Audi engines requires premium fluid at all times and when the vehicle breAks down, you need a qualified technician with high-end scan tool to diagnose the vehicle.

I will advise the 4runner but with V8 engine as the v6 engine if needs replacing is quite expensive
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2020
AreahCode:
You mean 4runner v6 is a no go area touareg is also a problematic car. Is it a defect from manufacturer.. or just general assumption.
So what suv is best

The 1gr engine is 1million plus to replace, you can buy a 4runner but handle the engine with care by using recommended fluids and change as at when due.

The tuareg is a good offroader, as a basic rule in Nigeria not always good to use luxurious vehicles for severe offroading parts are expensive, technician are hard to come by off-road stresses undercarriage parts. VW and Audi require expert technician I won't go buy them for severe offroad when I can afford better and more reliable japanese options with identical interior fittings.

Honda pilot Touring edition

Mitsubishi Pajero GLX
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2020
Ok ive been thinking about honda pilot suv 2006 silver v6,the only problem is that its too big ans long
nurey:

The 1gr engine is 1million plus to replace, you can buy a 4runner but handle the engine with care by using recommended fluids and change as at when due.

The tuareg is a good offroader, as a basic rule in Nigeria not always good to use luxurious vehicles for severe offroading parts are expensive, technician are hard to come by off-road stresses undercarriage parts. VW and Audi require expert technician I won't go buy them for severe offroad when I can afford better and more reliable japanese options with identical interior fittings.

Honda pilot Touring edition

Mitsubishi Pajero GLX
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 4:47pm On Oct 01, 2020
AreahCode:
Ok ive been thinking about honda pilot suv 2006 silver v6,the only problem is that its too big ans long

Then you will probably make due with CUV

Mitsubishi outlander 4WD

Highlander 4WD

An ML350 too isn't bad

But you can settle for the 4runner if you are okay with the shape
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 5:11pm On Oct 01, 2020
Ml 350 do u mean old model from 200 to 2005 or new model from 06. My friend said i shpuld run from benz that its not good for off roads
nurey:

Then you will probably make due with CUV

Mitsubishi outlander 4WD

Highlander 4WD

An ML350 too isn't bad

But you can settle for the 4runner if you are okay with the shape
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 5:16pm On Oct 01, 2020
AreahCode:
Ml 350 do u mean old model from 200 to 2005 or new model from 06. My friend said i shpuld run from benz that its not good for off roads

first generation 199x to 05 and

2nd gen 06 upwards

your friend doesn't know what he is saying about benz
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2020
Leave that Touareg.

Get a 4runner or Pathfinder.

Or, a 4WD Pilot.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 5:54pm On Oct 01, 2020
1gr or and what model or year
HeavenlyBang:
Leave that Touareg.

Get a 4runner or Pathfinder.

Or, a 4WD Pilot.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by Originalsly: 4:13am On Oct 02, 2020
If the 4runner is too big.... then I guess the Honda Pilot or Nissan Pathfinder willnalso be too big. If the road is real messed up and become flooded... then get the Toyota fjCruiser.... which is made specifically for off road. If too big... get a Toyota Rav4. Forget Tourag.... evennif the roads are glass smooth.... that vehicle has verrrry little tolerance for doing the right thing.... as in putting in the wrong fuel.... the wrong engine oil etc....and the mechanic has to be on point.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 5:34am On Oct 02, 2020
Fj cruiser. Nice but its too cost both toks amd registered
Originalsly:
If the 4runner is too big.... then I guess the Honda Pilot or Nissan Pathfinder willnalso be too big. If the road is real messed up and become flooded... then get the Toyota fjCruiser.... which is made specifically for off road. If too big... get a Toyota Rav4. Forget Tourag.... evennif the roads are glass smooth.... that vehicle has verrrry little tolerance for doing the right thing.... as in putting in the wrong fuel.... the wrong engine oil etc....and the mechanic has to be on point.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
AreahCode:
Fj cruiser. Nice but its too cost both toks amd registered

4runner = fj cruiser= Lexus GX series = land cruiser prado. They are rice but depends on how you want your rice, white rice, coconut rice, fried rice or jollof rice. The choice is yours

3 Likes

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by BamBamK: 5:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
apt !!

nurey:

4runner = fj cruiser= Lexus GX series = land cruiser prado. They are rice but depends on how you want your rice, white rice, coconut rice, fried rice or jollof rice. The choice is yours
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by Mottomata(m): 7:28pm On Oct 02, 2020
nurey:

How about the Liberty Jeep? It's also an off-road vehicle.

What do you think?
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:34pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mottomata:

What do you think?

Leave those FCA products for the Americans.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 8:43pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mottomata:

What do you think?

As you have been told just to add salt to the soup, liberty jeep is for the fainthearted. The 3.7L engine sef grin
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by Originalsly: 6:55am On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

Although not a car guy.... guess basically they share the same chassis.... engine and whatever.... but the FJ is specifically built for off road.... especially when it comes to flood conditions as in Op's case. When it was first introduced.... I learned for one the wiring was run overhead.... roof instead of floorboard to avoid electrical problems in severe flood conditions. This is unlike any other SUV. If the the FJ is still unique ... is for the one who be mechanic to say... and that's not me! Over to you. And yes.... been checking... used it is relatively damn expensive.... but I can understand why.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:01am On Oct 03, 2020
Originalsly:

Although not a car guy.... guess basically they share the same chassis.... engine and whatever.... but the FJ is specifically built for off road.... especially when it comes to flood conditions as in Op's case. When it was first introduced.... I learned for one the wiring was run overhead.... roof instead of floorboard to avoid electrical problems in severe flood conditions. This is unlike any other SUV. If the the FJ is still unique ... is for the one who be mechanic to say... and that's not me! Over to you. And yes.... been checking... used it is relatively damn expensive.... but I can understand why.

FJ's are becoming collectors items in the US. A well-maintained unit from 2014 with reasonable miles sells for as much as $40k these days. It's outlandish.
4runners are also pricey, while the Prado isn't sold in the US at all.

The GX is relatively better in terms of cost.

Here's a 2007 with over 200k miles.

1 Like

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by AreahCode: 2:08pm On Oct 03, 2020
Hello,how about bmw x5
nurey:

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 2:30pm On Oct 03, 2020
2003 Nissan Xterra (Avoid 2004 and above).

2006 Honda Pilot/Ridgeline

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD V6

The above will give you good value for your money with the Xterra coming out tops with regards to reliability and cost (purchase in parts and vehicle). It scores low in luxury and fuel consumption, although it has a 3.3L V6 (same with the Highlander) in contrast to the 3.5L V6 of the Pilot.

The Highlander handles best but most expensive of the three to acquire.

The Pilot sits at the middle in everything and though big, is not as bogus as it looks.

P.S. I have used all three, so this opinion is based on my personal experience. This is not a Bible.

Good luck.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2020
oride:
2003 Nissan Xterra (Avoid 2004 and above).

2006 Honda Pilot/Ridgeline

2005 Toyota Highlander AWD V6

The above will give you good value for your money with the Xterra coming out tops with regards to reliability and cost (purchase in parts and vehicle). It scores low in luxury and fuel consumption, although it has a 3.3L V6 (same with the Highlander) in contrast to the 3.5L V6 of the Pilot.

The Highlander handles best but most expensive of the three to acquire.

The Pilot sits at the middle in everything and though big, is not as bogus as it looks.

P.S. I have used all three, so this opinion is based on my personal experience. This is not a Bible.

Good luck.

E60 M3?
W205 C350?

Just messing with people, I expect?
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 3:42pm On Oct 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

E60 M3?
W205 C350?

Just messing with people, I expect?

Lol. Someone was arguing and refused correction. I have chosen to agree with him. thanks
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 5:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
AreahCode:
Hello,how about bmw x5

An excellent choice though rare to come by and needs a really good technician to handle it, Parts aren't that expensive though.

3.0L i6 may be underpowered but the 4.4L V8 na baba Nla for highway

1 Like

Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 5:51pm On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

An excellent choice though rare to come by and needs a really good technician to handle it, Parts aren't that expensive though.

3.0L V6 may be underpowered but the 4.4L V8 na baba Nla for highway

If he wants to live a long and peaceful life, the V8 should be avoided.
A BMW is a complex car, a 15 year old BMW is just not it.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 5:56pm On Oct 03, 2020
oride:

If he wants to live a long and peaceful life, the V8 should be avoided.
A BMW is a complex car, a 15 year old BMW is just not it.

There are people still using extremely old BMW and doing fine. Nothing complex in a X5 that a technician who knows his onions can't fix
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:49pm On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

3.0L V6 may be underpowered but the 4.4L V8 na baba Nla for highway

Stop recommending nonsense. angry

There's absolutely nothing underpowered about the N54 or N55. They're massively underrated at 300 HP and actually make about 340 HP.

The N52 is competitive with every other car listed here, too.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 6:52pm On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

There are people still using extremely old BMW and doing fine. Nothing complex in a X5 that a technician who knows his onions can't fix

I agree. People still drive the 04/05 Range Rover too. Doesn't change the fact that it's terribly unreliable.

And Op, both the X5 and the Range Rover share the same power train. Go figure.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 6:57pm On Oct 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Stop recommending nonsense. angry

There's absolutely nothing underpowered about the N54 or N55. They're massively underrated at 300 HP and actually make about 340 HP.

funny guy read before you respond. the 3.0L i6 is M54 grin
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by nurey(m): 7:04pm On Oct 03, 2020
oride:

I agree. People still drive the 04/05 Range Rover too. Doesn't change the fact that it's terribly unreliable.

And Op, both the X5 and the Range Rover share the same power train. Go figure.

the X5 of that year is not a piece of crap, it is a really good vehicle.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 7:12pm On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

funny guy read before you respond. the 3.0L i6 is M54 grin

The N54, N55 and M54 are all in line 6 I believe. Just that some have turbos others have not.
Re: Rough Terrain Roads. by oride: 7:14pm On Oct 03, 2020
nurey:

the X5 of that year is not a piece of crap, it is a really good vehicle.

You are the first person I have read (seen) say this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Says It Will Be Cheaper To Run Gas-powered Vehicles Than Petrol Cars / Cost Of Fixing This Scratch? / Taxify And Alakowe Taxi Partners In And Drivers In Ibadan Lets Connect.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.