Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,045 members, 7,814,584 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? (2201 Views)

Is Animal Science A Good Course?? / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? / Many Geologists Are Riding Okada - Olugbenga Okunlola, UI Professor Of Geology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 1:28pm On Sep 30, 2020
Please i need your advice, good people of Nairaland.
¶ I want to study Geology in UNN when they resume.
( I easily understand topics on any that relates to the Earth )
¶ Is it a good course you to do in the University nowadays? OR Which other course would be better?
**UNN Experts, Please Help A Brother.**
Thanks and God bless....wink
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 30, 2020
All courses are good when you do them for the passion and not just the money. So if your interest in Geology isn't just to work in oil and gas like a lot of people, I'd say go ahead. But if you're pursuing it for financial reasons, I'd advice you consider broader courses that can make you work anywhere, like IT or Management or even Mech/Electrical eng if you like maths, cos Geology isn't very versatile.

Also, it could be really boring if you're someone who is easily bored... Most of the people I know who did Geology back in the days are doing something totally different now...

Either ways, follow your passion.

2 Likes

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2020
Thank you very much Sir loneprof for the advice.
I'll follow my passion.
loneprof:
All courses are good when you do them for the passion and not just the money. So if your interest in Geology isn't just to work in oil and gas like a lot of people, I'd say go ahead. But if you're pursuing it for financial reasons, I'd advice you consider broader courses that can make you work anywhere, like IT or Management or even Mech/Electrical eng if you like maths, cos Geology isn't very versatile.

Also, it could be really boring if you're someone who is easily bored... Most of the people I know who did Geology back in the days are doing something totally different now...

Either ways, follow your passion.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by automaniac69: 2:12pm On Sep 30, 2020
I think it is a good course of study, but I heard they ask to write a lot of argumentative essays for that. Do you know what it is like? I see such an essay as a research paper that must contain a controversial subject in principle. The goal of such an essay is to elaborate on this subject, develop it and present proof for your standpoint. That doesn’t necessarily have to be a universally accepted position. The thing is that you must prove your opinion. You can use this review as a basis for getting more knowledge on that.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 30, 2020
Canih28:
>> I want to study Geology in UNN when they resume.
>>Is it a good course you to do in the University nowadays?
It is not just a good course but an interesting one especially, if you are a lover of nature... environment...earth.

It is a course that exposes you, beyond what's taught in the classroom.

3 Likes

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 3:05pm On Sep 30, 2020
i926:

It is not just a good course but an interesting one especially, if you are a lover of nature... environment...earth.

It is a course that exposes you, beyond what's taught in the classroom.
Thanks for the advice.
So which course would better (related to the subject 'Geography')

1 Like

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by chybuzky(m): 3:10pm On Sep 30, 2020
Geology one of my best course that I wanted to do in university but I got to choose Nither geology or computer science but I went for CS but geology is demm good
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2020
automaniac69:
I think it is a good course of study, but I heard they ask to write a lot of argumentative essays for that. Do you know what it is like? I see such an essay as a research paper that must contain a controversial subject in principle. The goal of such a essay project/thesis/research is to elaborate on this subject, develop it and present proof for your standpoint. That doesn’t necessarily have to be a universally accepted position. The thing is that you must prove your opinion scientifically. You can use this review as a basis for getting more knowledge on that.
Argumentative essay? You just made it look like geology is history or law. One has to carry out series of capital intensive different geoscience (geotechnical, geochemical, geophysical, hydrogeophysical etc) tests, analysis, surveys, or call it lab investigations and field investigations. Geology deal with scientific facts.

And yes, there is actually a universally accepted standard/position on lot of stuffs in geology. And if there's an anomaly, you find out what is the cause either scientifically (geoscientifical tests) or by field investigations.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2020
Canih28:

Thanks for the advice.
So which course would better (related to the subject 'Geography')
Geology
Meteorology
Geophysics (it's better when you have a sound knowledge of geology)
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 3:34pm On Sep 30, 2020
i926:
Geology Meteorology Geophysics (it's better when you have a sound knowledge of geology)
But I've already told you that Geology is the course I'm pursuing.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2020
Canih28:

But I've already told you that Geology is the course I'm pursuing.
You should've asked "Which other course..." grin
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2020
Okay, I see cool
i926:

You should've asked "Which other course..." grin
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by WorriorPlus: 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2020
If you are asking in terms of job prospects, with the job challenges in Nigeria, I can't really tell.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by hstar: 12:21am On Oct 01, 2020
Alright
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by tobechi74: 3:19am On Oct 01, 2020
With dwindling demand for oil ,no.exceot one has another motive
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by galantjoe(m): 7:42am On Oct 01, 2020
Geologist can work as water engineer, water driller, borehole engineer even as build tech, dam engineer, etc.

Na good course, but you must know be professional before you can work
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Bluish44(m): 8:33am On Oct 01, 2020
It's a good course ..but the experience is frustrating..majority of the lecturers are terrible( probably because they experienced such during their time too)..If its what you want to study and you are passionate about it, you can go for it...but if its not..I would advise you choose something else ...and one thing that makes it difficult unlike other courses is dat you combine all subjects and all field in ur courses..so if you are deficient in some secondary school subjects..u would have difficulty..basically all subjects can be found..physics,chemistry, biology,mathematics economics,agricultural medicine unlike in microbiology where you do basically biology related courses in your 4 year stay or computer science and enginering where u do maths and physics .
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Bluish44(m): 8:37am On Oct 01, 2020
You might likely come out with an average grade or get an extra year if u are not that brilliant and it would be all a waste if u want to get a job..probably the reason people drop their certificate and do something else ...or it's just the overall experience during their stay that make them despise the certificate
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 11:58am On Oct 01, 2020
Bluish44:
It's a good course ..but the experience is frustrating..majority of the lecturers are terrible( probably because they experienced such during their time too)..If its what you want to study and you are passionate about it, you can go for it...but if its not..I would advise you choose something else ...and one thing that makes it difficult unlike other courses is dat you combine all subjects and all field in ur courses..so if you are deficient in some secondary school subjects..u would have difficulty..basically all subjects can be found..physics,chemistry, biology,mathematics economics,agricultural medicine unlike in microbiology where you do basically biology related courses in your 4 year stay or computer science and enginering where u do maths and physics .
WOW, I don't even know what to say. sad
I will try my very best. smiley
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2020
Bluish44:
You might likely come out with an average grade or get an extra year if u are not that brilliant and it would be all a waste if u want to get a job..probably the reason people drop their certificate and do something else ...or it's just the overall experience during their stay that make them despise the certificate
Okay, it's well smiley
NG @60
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Bifrost: 12:12pm On Oct 01, 2020
Canih28:
¶ I want to study Geology in UNN when they resume.
¶ Is it a good course you to do in the University nowadays? OR Which other course would be better?

grin

You will enjoy Geology in UNN.
But let me clarify something for you, it you think because you're good in Geography then Geology is the right course for you, then think again.

In addition to Geography, you should be grounded in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and a bit of biology to be able to survive the rigours of the course contents. And I say this, knowing how the course is structured in UNN.
There's Petrology where you carry out indepth study rocks and their properties, even with the use of Microscope. There's Palaeontology/Palaeobiology (your biology knowledge is important) where you study fossils and fossil deposit. There's crystallography and mineralogy (you require a good mastery of chemistry) where you carry out indepth study of mineral property. There's structural geology and geophysics, you should be grounded in Physics and mathematics if you want to enjoy this course, else you'll fail out. There's sedimentology, petroleum geology, engineering geology etc... And you will go for a lot of field trips.

In summary, if you think you love Geography but your background in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology are weak. My brother, opt for Geography. Otherwise, Geology is an interesting course of study.

Just bear in mind that there's a huge distinction between Geology and Geography.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2020
Bifrost:

grin

But let me clarify something for you, it you think because you're good in Geography then Geology is the right course for you, then think again.

In addition to Geography, you should be grounded in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and a bit of biology to be able to survive the rigours of the course contents. And I say this, knowing how the course is structured in UNN.
There's Petrology where you carry out indepth study rocks and their properties, even with the use of Microscope. There's Palaeontology/Palaeobiology (your biology knowledge is important) where you study fossils and fossil deposit. There's crystallography and mineralogy (you require a good mastery of chemistry) where you carry out indepth study of mineral property. There's structural geology and geophysics, you should be grounded in Physics and mathematics if you want to enjoy this course, else you'll fail out. There's sedimentology, petroleum geology, engineering geology etc... And you will go for a lot of field trips.

In summary, if you think you love Geography but your background in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology are weak. My brother, opt for Geography. Otherwise, Geology is an interesting course of study.

Just bear in mind that there's a huge distinction between Geology and Geography.
WOW shocked
Thanks man! smiley u be eye opener. wink

I have good background in the other subjects except chemistry, albeit I'm improving; also I'm very good in biology.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Bifrost: 12:25pm On Oct 01, 2020
Canih28:

WOW, thanks man! smiley u be eye opener.
I have good background in the other subjects except chemistry, albeit I'm improving.

Cheers.
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by omis234: 2:03pm On Oct 01, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Bifrost:

grin

You really nailed it. I did Geology in UI for my BSc, even though I had an average GP in my 100level due to some reasons but thank God for one of my seniors who was then a level higher who motivated me. I studied harder in subsequent levels and came out with 2.1
I am at d mid-stage of my research work for my MSc in Geology in one of the top fed. Universities in the southwest.
The truth is Geology is not for lazy students and for you to come out with a good grade, first develop passion for the course because many easily loose interest when you begin to go indepth as you progress.
The stress of fieldwork(individual and group) is another area that make the coirse look stressful and tedius but become fun and like adventure for those who already have passion for it.
But try as much as possible to come out with 2.1 if not first class as this may pave way more easily in the labour market or some scholarship.
The bottom line is to also try as much as possible to develop yourself, try to know beyond what you are taught in class and leave the rest for God.
Geology is a professional course with different areas of specialization but will be hard for lazy students to cope in.
My 1cent

1 Like

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2020
omis234:
[color=#006600][/color]

You really nailed it. I did Geology in UI for my BSc, even though I had an average GP in my 100level due to some reasons but thank God for one of my seniors who was then a level higher who motivated me. I studied harder in subsequent levels and came out with 2.1
I am at d mid-stage of my research work for my MSc in Geology in one of the top fed. Universities in the southwest.
The truth is Geology is not for lazy students and for you to come out with a good grade, first develop passion for the course because many easily loose interest when you begin to go indepth as you progress.
The stress of fieldwork(individual and group) is another area that make the coirse look stressful and tedius but become fun and like adventure for those who already have passion for it.
But try as much as possible to come out with 2.1 if not first class as this may pave way more easily in the labour market or some scholarship.
The bottom line is to also try as much as possible to develop yourself, try to know beyond what you are taught in class and leave the rest for God.
Geology is a professional course with different areas of specialization but will be hard for lazy students to cope in.
My 1cent
Thanks you very much omis234.

I have some other questions,if you don't mind.
Is the current grading like this?
CGPA ranges under the new four (4)- point grading scale for classification of degrees:
3.5 - 4.00 – first class honours;
3.0 - 3.49 – second class honours (upper division);
2.0 - 2.99 – second class honours (lower division);
1.0 - 1.99 – third class honours.

is there a score like 5.0?
I'm still confused on how they grade Uni. scores.

I hope you complete yours with flying colors
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by omis234: 3:17pm On Oct 01, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Canih28:

Thanks you very much omis234.

I have some other questions,if you don't mind.
Is the current grading like this?
CGPA ranges under the new four (4)- point grading scale for classification of degrees:
3.5 - 4.00 – first class honours;
3.0 - 3.49 – second class honours (upper division);
2.0 - 2.99 – second class honours (lower division);
1.0 - 1.99 – third class honours.

is there a score like 5.0?
I'm still confused on how they grade Uni. scores.

I hope you complete yours with flying colors

Grading system varies depending on Universities but the most common is the 5.0 grading system. Am not sure the one UNN adopt but UI was using the 7.0 grading system and read not long about changing to the 4.O system which I Cant confirm now if it has been implemented.
The school where am presently running my MSc adopts the 5.0 grading system as below:
4.5-5.00 First class
3.5-4.49. 2.1
2.40-3.49. 2.2
1.50-2.39 Third class
1.00-1.49 pass

But you need to confirm the grading system used in your proposed school

I hope this helps
Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 3:20pm On Oct 01, 2020
omis234:

Grading system varies depending on Universities but the most common is the 5.0 grading system. Am not sure the one UNN adopt but UI was using the 7.0 grading system and read not long about changing to the 4.O system which I Cant confirm now if it has been implemented.
The school where am presently running my MSc adopts the 5.0 grading system as below:
4.5-5.00 First class
3.5-4.49. 2.1
2.40-3.49. 2.2
1.50-2.39 Third class
1.00-1.49 pass

But you need to confirm the grading system used in your proposed school

I hope this helps
✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯

* Yes, alot. Thanks again man smiley *

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by omis234: 3:27pm On Oct 01, 2020
Asking if there is a score like 5point
There is a mark range (over 100%) for each grade point
For instance, mark range for 5.0 grading system is as below

Mark %. Grade point

70-100. 5
60-69. 4
50-59. 3
45-49. 2
40-44. 1
0-39. 0

Someone who scores from 70 and above for instance has 5point in a particular course.
Someone with 3point scores btw 50-59 and so on. These are multiplied by coure units added together and divided by the no of courses taken to determine the CGPA for a semester or session and so on.
I believe you will understand better how CGPA is being calculated by the time you enter school

1 Like

Re: Is Geology A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? by Canih28: 4:32pm On Oct 01, 2020
omis234:
Asking if there is a score like 5point
There is a mark range (over 100%) for each grade point
For instance, mark range for 5.0 grading system is as below

Mark %. Grade point

70-100. 5
60-69. 4
50-59. 3
45-49. 2
40-44. 1
0-39. 0

Someone who scores from 70 and above for instance has 5point in a particular course.
Someone with 3point scores btw 50-59 and so on. These are multiplied by coure units added together and divided by the no of courses taken to determine the CGPA for a semester or session and so on.
I believe you will understand better how CGPA is being calculated by the time you enter school
Yes, I understand it now. University is so complex, I hope all goes well with everyone's effort into their decision IJN ✞︎ ✞︎ ✞︎

(1) (Reply)

Can You Solve This Physics Question? / Link To Noun Admission List / Who Know About Unijos Part Time Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.