Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,137 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. (12225 Views)

Reps Angry As Dogara, Jibrin, Others Inject N40b Projects Into Budget / PDP Appoints Jibrin As Acting Bot Chairman (photo) / Caught In The Act: Meet The Man Defacing Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 5:10pm On Mar 02, 2011
Sokoto – Sokoto State Police Command has arrested the Chief Imam of the Farfaru Juma’at Mosque, Sokoto, Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin, for allegedly defacing the posters of the PDP presidential candidate, Dr Goodluck Jonathan.

Spokesperson of the Police Command, ASP Al-Mustapha Sani, disclosed this to newsmen in Sokoto Tuesday.
According to him, the Chief Imam was arrested at a roundabout while he was using black paint to deface President Jonathan’s posters by policemen on patrol.

“The renowned Islamic cleric was arrested by our men on patrol using black paint to deface the posters of President Goodluck Jonathan and Alhaji Namadi Sambo at some roundabouts in Sokoto metropolis at around 5 pm on February, 28.

“He was arrested along with his two sons, his driver and a domestic aide. They have all been transferred to the Force CID, Abuja, today (Tuesday),” Sani said.

He advised the people of the state to continue to be law abiding, adding that “only the use of ballot papers to either vote in or vote out candidates were lawful.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/police-arrest-cleric-4-others-for-defacing-jonathans-posters/

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2011
http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/news/national-news/7467-sokoto-cleric-sheikh-abubakar-jibril-arrested

Sokoto cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Jibril, arrested
Tuesday, 01 March 2011 18:14

Ahead of President Goodluck Jonathan’s visit to Sokoto state next week in continuation of his presidential campaign, the police in Sokoto state yesterday arrested a renowned Muslim cleric, Sheikh Abubakar Jibril, for allegedly defacing the posters of the president.

President Jonathan’s campaign posters adorn strategic locations in Sokoto including roundabouts and other public places, ahead of his Wednesday, March 9th, visit to the state as part of his ongoing nationwide campaign rallies.

Our correspondent however observed yesterday that some of the posters were removed while some billboards with the president’s posters on them have been defaced .

Confirming Sheikh Abubakar’s arrest to Peoples Daily in Sokoto yesterday, the Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Al-Mustapha Sani, said the cleric and four others were arrested at Gawonnama area of Sokoto metropolis while allegedly perpetrating the act.

According to him, the cleric, who is also the chief Imam of Farfaru Juma’at Mosque, was “nabbed for inciting public disturbance in the state contrary to the laws of the land”.

The police spokesman also revealed that the Islamic scholar had already been whisked away to Abuja for further interrogation.

Also, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Public Relation Officer in the state, Alhaji Abubakar Babangida, while commenting on the development, described the act as unfortunate, saying “the cleric has no right to deface the posters of anybody not to talk of that of the president.

He said the Islamic scholar is not supposed to engage in partisan politics but should bother himself with Islamic activities.

The arrest of the cleric, Peoples Daily gathered, may be in connection with the clamour in the North-West for the retention of the zoning arrangement that would see the return of the presidency to the North, which has been jettisoned, by the PDP leadership.

A PDP stalwart who pleaded anonymity explained that people are still bitter and not satisfied with the ruling party’s position on zoning by not fielding a Northern presidential candidate to complete the tenure of late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua.

He pointed out that it was out of anger that some youth went out in the metropolis to deface the posters of the president.

http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13248:police-detain-cleric-over-jonathans-posters&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8

Police detain cleric over Jonathan’s posters
Wednesday, 02 March 2011 00:00 Rakiya A. Muhammad, Sokoto & Misbahu Bashir, Abuja

Sheikh Abubakar Jibril
Prominent Islamic scholar in Sokoto Sheikh Abubakar Jibril was arrested by the police on Monday afternoon and was flown to Abuja yesterday over what police sources said was the defacing of some campaign posters of President Goodluck Jonathan. The Sheikh, who is the Chief Imam of the Farfaru Juma’at Mosque in Sokoto, was arrested with his two sons, his driver and a domestic aide, according to relations and the police. Spokesman for the Sokoto police command ASP Al-Mustapha Sani said policemen on patrol arrested Sheikh Abubakar and the others while they were using black paint to deface the posters of the president and his deputy at some roundabouts in Sokoto metropolis at about 5pm on Monday.

Sani said they were arrested over inciting public disturbance and have been transferred to the Force Criminal Investigation Department in Abuja.

In Abuja, the Force Public Relations Officer DCP Olusola Amore confirmed that five people including Sheikh Abubakar were being held at the Force CID and that they were arrested for allegedly defacing the posters of the PDP presidential candidate and his running mate. He said they were also suspected of inciting dislike for Jonathan and of acts capable of fanning the flames of public disturbance.

Others in detention are Abba Abubakar Jibrin, Bello Abubakar and AlhajiAbubakar Jibrin. Security sources told Daily Trust that they were flown to Abuja by a chartered plane. The FPRO said the suspects will be charged after police investigation is completed.

Wife of Sheikh Abubakar Jibril, Hajiya Safiya Jibril has called on Federal Government to release her husband saying he is not a trouble maker but a peace loving person.

She said her husband had gone out on that day, Monday February 28 and that she was at home when she received information that he had been arrested at about 4.30 pm.

“Sheikh is a not a trouble maker, he is a peace loving. He is an Islamic scholar and preacher and advocate of education. He is father of over 50 children. He caters for relatives and the converts. Those in authority should fear God and release my husband and others.”

But a civil society activist, Ibrahim Tudun Doki described the arrest as political intolerance by the Jonathan regime. Tudun Doki, who is a House of Representatives candidate of the Congress for Progress Change [CPC] recalled that General Muhammadu Buhari’s campaign billboard was destroyed in Port Harcourt, Rivers State last week and that the police did not arrest or charge anyone to court for the action.

Meanwhile, a coalition of 51 organisations in Sokoto State comprising Imams and preachers yesterday condemned the Sheikh’s arrest. Speaking to Daily Trust in Sokoto, their spokesman Alhaji Shuaibu Kaoji said it was outrageous that the police even had to move the Sheikh to Abuja.

He said they were at the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police in charge of Zone 10 to lay their complaint, but were told that he had gone to Kebbi State. According to him, a committee of seven persons from the 51 Islamic organisations were therefore sent to Birnin Kebbi to meet the AIG on the issue.

if not for how scary it is, this would be hilarious

team gej we are waiting for you to defend this 'threat to national security'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by blacksta(m): 5:20pm On Mar 02, 2011
So if i spit for GEJ poster - which i do anyway

them fit charge me for treason. or threat to National security - na wa 00000

even Libya never reach that craze level

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 02, 2011
you can see that gej and sule lamido have plenty in common

how long before their thugs send the SSS to nl?

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by chakula: 5:34pm On Mar 02, 2011
They are about to start forcing people to vote for them by all means this kolo mentality when was it end?

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Arosa(m): 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2011
grin see the Imam teeth as e be, the SSS should flog him 30 strokes of horse whip. grin grin that will show him. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Pukkah: 6:08pm On Mar 02, 2011
This is getting 'interesting'.

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by egift(m): 6:23pm On Mar 02, 2011
So if person poo, come carry Jonathan Poster clean yash, SSS go come arrest me - say na threat to national security. Thunder fire their head. This cowboy-fisherman no go rest till he drown Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by adagz01(m): 6:29pm On Mar 02, 2011
Arosa:

grin see the Imam teeth as e be, the SSS should flog him 30 strokes of horse whip. grin grin that will show him. grin grin
seconded.
All these randy aboki just want to cause trouble
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Kilode1: 6:42pm On Mar 02, 2011
they were also suspected of inciting dislike for Jonathan

And that is a crime? Really?

In a democracy?

And this "new PDP" = Fresh air? shocked

ROFL grin grin

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Arosa(m): 6:49pm On Mar 02, 2011
Kilode?!:

And that is a crime? Really?

In a democracy?

And this "new PDP" = Fresh air? shocked

ROFL grin grin

is vandalism not a crime? angry
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Beaf: 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2011
Guys get a life and some brains, it is a crime to deface any campaign poster, GEJ's or not.
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by solihu(m): 6:53pm On Mar 02, 2011
This is way too unbelievable!

Na so bros J take confamento him total lost of vote for shokoto!

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by obailala(m): 7:00pm On Mar 02, 2011
I might not know the law but my common sense tells me[b] it is an offense to deface anyone's campaign poster.[/b] This has nothing to do with GEJ
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Kilode1: 7:50pm On Mar 02, 2011
kilode?! ]they were also suspected of inciting dislike for Jonathan
[/quote]

[quote author=Arosa:

is vandalism not a crime? angry

you dey vex?

As you can clearly read from my earlier quote above, I was speaking specifically about the "inciting dislike" statement. I even placed it in bold. undecided

I reserve the right to "incite dislike" for a politician I dislike,  it is not a crime for me to speak against a politician or encourage people to dislike him.

I hope you as my fellow Naija will not get that right taken away from you. I hope I can count on you to stand with me against those who wish to take our right to political dissent away.

Arosa, My family will not vote GEJ, I incited their dislike for him.

Most of my friends and acquintances will never vote PDP, I'm partly responsible for inciting their dislike.

I incite dislike for PDP everywhere I go. The same way PDP supporters incite dislike for their opponents.

Show me a law that says you and I can't exercise that right Sir, and I will show you an oppressive law.

Now to your vandalism question; I'm not sure what the city code is in Sokoto. Most serious societies have laws against Vandalism, Graffitti and co.

Serious societies also have laws against placing campaign Ad posters on public properties and monuments. I believe a public roundabout is a public property.

Violating a "Post No Bill" code and spray painting an Ad poster are both Vandalism.

So, if you wanna go legal, GEJ campaign handlers are probably violating a law that the police chose to ignore.

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Rhino5dm: 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2011
I just pee on GEJ poster and called him a drunken useless fisherman. so fvcking what?? angry angry

fvck all PDP and mutherfvcking thieves, if you down with PDP fvck you too.

SSS i will be on my way to beijing tomorrow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 02, 2011
soon they will be rounding up nlers for vandalism of the spam threads of team gej tongue tongue

i go soon photoshop vandalize that fresh air jpeg cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by oderemo(m): 8:06pm On Mar 02, 2011
^^^@rhino, no show face for airport/seaport.
berra use seme border for your excape jeje. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 02, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

I just pee on GEJ poster and called him a drunken useless fisherman. so fvcking what?? angry angry

fvck all PDP and mutherfvcking thieves, if you down with PDP fvck you too.

SSS i will be on my way to beijing tomorrow.

arrest that man!!!!

he is a threat to the security of nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Arosa(m): 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2011
Violating a "Post No Bill" code and spray painting an Ad poster are both Vandalism.
You are probably right. undecided
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 03, 2011
bump

this will not go away
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 03, 2011
First of all: EWWWWW! They never look good undecided

This is highly immature and unprofessional of a "democratic" politician. Seriously.
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by dayokanu(m): 6:51am On Mar 03, 2011
Vandalising what?

What was he vandalising?

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by lionness(f): 8:21am On Mar 03, 2011
Jesus! The guy was doing us all a favor. We all know it will be God's will, not PDP's will if this illiterate doesnt win come April.
Anyways, they need to make more arrest like this to lose the moslems vote completely.
Isnt that how f00ls behave? so clueless and slow thinking. thats your president.

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by lionness(f): 8:25am On Mar 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

First of all: EWWWWW! They never look good undecided

This is highly immature and unprofessional of a "democratic" politician. Seriously.

Hez cute though. and the lips are like jay z's and hes got white teeth. guess your inlove grin

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by 9ijaMan: 9:06am On Mar 03, 2011
obailala:

I might not know the law but my common sense tells me[b] it is an offense to deface anyone's campaign poster.[/b] This has nothing to do with GEJ

Thank God you gave yourself an out before making such an ignorant submission. There is no law in Nigeria against defacing posters. Posters are defaced everywhere in the world and it's only here in 9ja that we have people being arrested for it and in addition of trumped up charges of "insiting dislike for GEJ".
Buhari's posters have been defaced by PDP thugs, abeg tell us how many of such thugs GEJ don pick up. That's the second cleric GEJ has picked up in as many months. The people are watching!
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Jarus(m): 9:19am On Mar 03, 2011
I know this Imam. His mosque is situated inside GSS, Farfaru, Sokoto, which was used as our camp during our NYSC year. I have prayed Friday Juma'at under him in the past.

In all honesty though, I do not expect someone of his status in the society to be defacing anybody's posters.
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by obailala(m): 9:20am On Mar 03, 2011
9ijaMan:

Thank God you gave yourself an out before making such an ignorant submission. There is no law in Nigeria against defacing posters. Posters are defaced everywhere in the world and it's only here in 9ja that we have people being arrested for it and in addition of trumped up charges of "insiting dislike for GEJ".
Buhari's posters have been defaced by PDP thugs, abeg tell us how many of such thugs GEJ don pick up. That's the second cleric GEJ has picked up in as many months. The people are watching!

Posters are defaced everywhere in the world and so does that makes it right? Take note, I used the word offense and not crime.

Assuming you own a new business (be it a church, school, whatever) and you paste posters allover town for public sensitization. Then just a day after you paste posters, someone (probably a competitor) pays some small street kids to go allover town and rip off your posters. Do you really think there is nothing the law says about such an act?

GEJ team might be wrong for targeting those ripping his posters alone but I hate it when people just come out and say thrash that "there is nothing wrong in defacing posters"
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 03, 2011
do these pro gejs even ealise that posters constitute pollution?

1 Like

Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by ifyalways(f): 9:36am On Mar 03, 2011
He is an Iman,he can do better.He is looked upon by alot of folks,his defacing the posters  directly or indirectly means and speaks volumes.
There are better ways to express your dislike for something or someone.
The arrest and charges against him are however ridiculous.
Jarus:

I know this Imam. His mosque is situated inside GSS, Farfaru, Sokoto, which was used as our camp during our NYSC year. I have prayed Friday Juma'at under him in the past.

In all honesty though, I do not expect someone of his status in the society to be defacing anybody's posters.
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by 9ijaMan: 9:36am On Mar 03, 2011
obailala:

Posters are defaced everywhere in the world and so does that makes it right? Take note, I used the word offense and not crime.

Assuming you own a new business (be it a church, school, whatever) and you paste posters allover town for public sensitization. Then just a day after you paste posters, someone (probably a competitor) pays some small street kids to go allover town and rip off your posters. Do you really think there is nothing the law says about such an act?

GEJ team might be wrong for targeting those ripping his posters alone but I hate it when people just come out and say thrash that "there is nothing wrong in defacing posters"

Sorry Bro, the laws simply say nothing about that. You are a Nigerian and should have access to the constitution of the Nation. If in doubt, talk to a lawyer. Since the Imam has not violated any Nigerian law, why the arrest? No one as said nothing is wrong with poster defacing, the argument is simple: does poster defacing amount to any crime against any law of the land?

In you funny example above, so the owners of the church, school or whatever will now go and engage the services of police to arrest anyone who defaces their posters?
Is defacing of posters wrong? Yes.
Does defacing of posters constitute a criminal offense? NO

GEJ continues to exhibit the the same traits of the deposed tyrants Egypt and Tunisia, where anyone who speaks against the government is simply arrested. We had a deputy Imam picked up earlier in the year, then Okey Ndibe was harrased at the airport in Lagos and now another cleric has been picked. In case you are not aware, the only common thing amongst these people is that they all spoke against GEJ's government. If this is not tyranny, then I don't know the meaning of the word.

oyb:

do these pro gejs even ealise that posters constitute pollution?

Apparently they don't.
Re: Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 03, 2011
Sorry Bro, the laws simply say nothing about that. You are a Nigerian and should have access to the constitution of the Nation. If in doubt, talk to a lawyer. Since the Imam has not violated any Nigerian law, why the arrest? No one as said nothing is wrong with poster defacing, the argument is simple: does poster defacing amount to any crime against any law of the land?

In you funny example above, so the owners of the church, school or whatever will now go and engage the services of police to arrest anyone who defaces their posters?
Is defacing of posters wrong? Yes.
Does defacing of posters constitute a criminal offense? NO

GEJ continues to exhibit the the same traits of the deposed tyrants Egypt and Tunisia, where anyone who speaks against the government is simply arrested. We had a deputy Imam picked up earlier in the year, then Okey Ndibe was harrased at the airport in Lagos and now another cleric has been picked. In case you are not aware, the only common thing amongst these people is that they all spoke against GEJ's government. If this is not tyranny, then I don't know the meaning of the word.

Wow--- your just so dense and ignorant--- contradicting yourself and making a mockery of yourself-- is the word "deface" and "vandalize" getting you confused,

Is vandalism not a crime-- because its a poster.

Man please use your brain

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Posters Of Lamido And Amaechi Flood Idah, Kogi State. / Pictures Of Gen Buhari..in Owerri During The Biafrian War / Dominic Bukuni Jailed For Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.