Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks (453 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 69th Birthday (throwback & Recent Photos) / Onyeka Onwenu: Why I Rejected Fela’s Marriage Proposal / Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 01, 2020
Music legend, Onyeka Onwenu has revealed that she will be returning to the South-East if Nigeria disintegrates.

Speaking at a virtual pre-book launch briefing ahead of the release of her memoir ‘My Father’s Daughter’ on October 1, the music urged people from the South-East to develop the region while pointing out that they've be marginalized for a long time.

Onwenu said;

“It doesn’t take away whatever you are doing in Lagos, Abuja, or Port Harcourt. You are free to live and do business wherever you are but remember back home, we are being marginalised for a long time. And our people have always done things for themselves.

“We built the Imo Airport. I was part of the process. It remains the only airport in the country that was built by the citizens and handed over to the Federal Government.

“My father went to school abroad, people in his home town collected money and supported him. That’s how we do things, we are communal people. So, I’m not afraid to go back home.

“If that happens (referring to Nigeria breaking up), I will go back to the South-East because I want to go back home. And even if we don’t split, I want to do so much there.”

Referencing her marriage to a Yoruba Muslim, the music icon urged Nigerians to let go of tribalism and focus on the positive values inherent in the different ethnic groups in the country.

Onwenu added;

“We are blessed with the richness of our culture and everyone should see themselves as one and not let divisions break the country."
https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/9/i-will-return-to-south-east-if-nigeria-splits-onyeka-onwenu-speaks.html

1 Share

Re: I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by EmptyGarden(m): 5:42am On Oct 01, 2020
Splitting this, splitting that... So much of this already.
South East should focus on becoming President in 2023, when that happens, feel free to split all you want.

I specially welcome you all to this beautiful month of October... While at it, HAPPY INDEPENDENCE NIGERIA!
Re: I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by MightySparrow: 5:45am On Oct 01, 2020
Her problem

1 Like

Re: I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by BENARI: 5:46am On Oct 01, 2020
Every Igbo son and daughter have it in thier DNA that someday, they'll have to return home, or at the very least, have a country of thier own. The Nigeria state has unfortunately, by its marginalisation practice, further entrenched that awareness in them. The Igbos don't believe in Nigeria. Of the thousands, relocating from Nigeria each year, as many as 70% are Igbos. Someday this diaspora will come together and work through the governments of the respective countries they live in to actually thier central dream.

The Igbos are not the only ones who don't believe in Nigeria. The Yorubas don't either. But for some reason, the yoruba nation finds itself in a vantage position in the Nigeria project, not by design, but by providence. Lagos as the former federal capital, commercial centre, and major port city, has brought lots of good and opportunity to the yoruba nation. Just like the Igbos they do not feel Nigerian at heart, but they cherish the vantage position providence has placed them, and so they are not in as much a hurry as the Igbos to see the disintegration of the Nigerian state, although they'll gladly welcome it if it happens. This reality plays out even in politics for the yoruba nation, where they've often enjoyed the patronage of the North at the expense of the rest of the south and middle belt.
All it takes to awake the true state of mind of the yoruba nation about Nigeria, is to deny them any or all of the privileges they enjoy for a protracted amount of time. Then you'd see just how much they are invested in the Nigeria project. But I guess you can pretty much say the same thing about virtually all regions in Nigeria, including the powers that be; the hausa fulani. Yes, even they have at different times voiced a willingness, albeit hypocritical, to exit the state because thier interest was threatened when the man at the centre was from the south. The only difference in thier case though, is that they often get whatever they want when they bark which I find mystifying.

All in all, I think Nigeria is a scam, a no man's grain field, where everyone goes to reap with no intention of sowing back. The most power group of reapers keep taking most of the grains and have mounted guards to prevent other reapers from coming in, allowing them gather only as much. The most powerful reapers have turned the no man's field into a bargaining chip in getting whatever it wants. Someday though, the field will no longer yield grains because it was cultivated.Then both the powerful reapers, thier guards, and all the other less powerful reapers will have to individually go seek for another field, or begin cultivating thier own. That's my picture of Nigeria. I stand to be corrected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by Iyoocartel(f): 5:47am On Oct 01, 2020
Iyooooooo cartel

If you have never been to South east you're missing alot.
042 obodo amaka.
God bless Enugu state!
Re: I Will Return To South-East If Nigeria Splits - Onyeka Onwenu Speaks by yarimo(m): 6:35am On Oct 01, 2020
if you like return to north Korea and not south east. nonsense undecided

(1) (Reply)

What Alexreports Ordered Versus What He Got / Breaking News: Laycon Has Been Appointed As The Youth Ambassador Of Ogun State / Bobrisky Reveals – ‘i’am Machine You Can’t Win Me In Bed’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.