Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,012 members, 7,838,536 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

I Will Return To South-east If Nigeria Splits -onyeka Onwenu - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / I Will Return To South-east If Nigeria Splits -onyeka Onwenu (377 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 69th Birthday (throwback & Recent Photos) / Onyeka Onwenu: Why I Rejected Fela’s Marriage Proposal / Onyeka Onwenu At Wesley College, Massachusetts, USA, 1975 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Will Return To South-east If Nigeria Splits -onyeka Onwenu by Odunayomi247(m): 9:14am On Oct 01, 2020
Nigeria ’ s music legend , Onyeka Onwenu , has warned against division in the country, saying that “ Nigeria ’ s unity is not negotiable” .
Onwenu , however , said if the country breaks up, she would prefer to return to the South -East.
She said this during a virtual pre - book launch briefing ahead of the release of her memoir ‘ My Father’ s Daughter ’ , billed for October 1.
The music icon called on the people of the South East, especially those in the diaspora , to develop the region.
She said , “ It doesn ’ t take away whatever you are doing in Lagos , Abuja , or Port Harcourt . You are free to live and do business wherever you are but remember back home, we are being marginalised for a long time. And our people have always done things for themselves.

“ We built the Imo Airport . I was part of the process . It remains the only airport in the country that was built by the citizens and handed over to the Federal Government .
“ My father went to school abroad , people in his home town collected money and supported him . That ’ s how we do things , we are communal people. So , I ’ m not afraid to go back home. ”
When asked for her views on the agitation for self -sovereignty by some groups in the country , she said , “ If that happens ( referring to Nigeria breaking up) , I will go back to the South - East because I want to go back home. And even if we don’ t split , I want to do so much there . ”
She charged Nigerians to play less on tribalism by focusing on the positives inherent in the different ethnic groups that make up the country.

Using her marriage to a Yoruba Muslim that produced two children as a reference, the 68-year- old music star enjoined every Nigerian to uphold the country’ s unity and stop insulting and denigrating each other.
“ We are blessed with the richness of our culture and everyone should see themselves as one and not let divisions break the country, ” she added .

Onyeka explained that her new book, titled ‘ My Father’ s Daughter ’ , which contains over 450 pages , is designed to give inspiration to the younger ones, especially the younger feminine gender .

https://punchng.com/i-will-return-to-south-east-if-nigeria-splits-onyeka-onwenu/
Re: I Will Return To South-east If Nigeria Splits -onyeka Onwenu by onez: 9:38am On Oct 01, 2020
The rate at which some Easterners are relocating their business to south east is a pointer to the harm Buhari has done to Nigeria. Every one is thinking home. I pity estate developers in Lagos. Property everywhere but people are not willing to buy
Re: I Will Return To South-east If Nigeria Splits -onyeka Onwenu by blackgold7777(f): 11:22am On Oct 01, 2020
i been think say u go follow your yoruba muslim husband go

(1) (Reply)

Actress Shaffy Bello Shares Stunning New Photos As She Turns 50 / Today Is Fela Anikulapo Posthumous Birthday / ENDSARS: MC Oluomo Accused Of Deploying Thugs To Disrupt Alausa Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.