Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,768 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. (1271 Views)

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 / Can KSU Go On E-learning? My View And Candid Advice By Onoja Johnson / Pls I Need Ur Candid Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 10:11am On Oct 03, 2020
Good morning elders, it's been a while.
I guess the best way to start this small note,is to ask after your welfarism and family.I hope you are keeping safe in this time of coronavirus.I pray for divine protection on all our goings and comings.
**Lack if good and thoughtful decision can either mar or make someone's life**

I'm the stage of dilemma. I'm at my late 20,an undergraduate(200l) from a state university in Kano state,studying biochemistry. I did jamb this year scored 254 ,with the aim of studying Medical Laboratory science (MLS) at the University of Sokoto(Udus). I'm being tempted to drop the idea of studying another 5years course as age is not by my side any longer.but I wish to study MLS to widen the chance of instant employment.
please I need your candid advice and do overlook my blunders
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Taguchi: 10:13am On Oct 03, 2020
I dey come

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by economia: 10:20am On Oct 03, 2020
If you are not employed because of the wrong course in wrong environment, age will hit on you hearder.

I think if you can get the admission you should go for the medical lab but make sure you defere your chemistry admission should be you need it latter.

don't just jump out of admission without defering it.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by sageb: 10:39am On Oct 03, 2020
Herbephe1:
I guess the best way to start this small note,is to ask after your welfarism and family.I hope you are keeping safe in this time of coronavirus.I pray for divine protection on all our goings and comings.

I'm the stage of dilemma. I'm at my late 20,an undergraduate(200l) from a state university in Kano state,studying biochemistry. I did jamb this year scored 254 ,with the aim of studying Medical Laboratory science (MLS) at the University of Sokoto(Udus). I'm being tempted to drop the idea of studying another 5years course as age is not by my side any longer.but I wish to study MLS to widen the chance of instant employment.
first of all, i want to ask you. What is wrong with Biochemistry? Do you know that it is the most sought after course in the faculty of Basic medical sciences? Your answer will aid me to counsel you.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 11:01am On Oct 03, 2020
sageb:
first of all, i want to ask you. What is wrong with Biochemistry? Do you know that it is the most sought after course in the faculty of Basic medical sciences? Your answer will aid me to counsel you.

In Nigeria today,Biochemistry has low job opportunities, my elder brother who graduated from unilorin has not being able to secure job since 2017.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 11:02am On Oct 03, 2020
Taguchi:
I dey come
I'll be waiting for your thoughtful advice sir
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 11:04am On Oct 03, 2020
economia:
If you are not employed because of the wrong course in wrong environment, age will hit on you hearder.

I think if you can get the admission you should go for the medical lab but make sure you defere your chemistry admission should be you need it latter.

don't just jump out of admission without defering it.

I never even thought of deferring it. thanks sir
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Jman06(m): 11:22am On Oct 03, 2020
Herbephe1:

It will be in your best interest to pursue that MLS admission and do everything within your power to get it. It is better to finish MLS and start practicing even at 40 than to finish biochemistry now and join the pool of unemployed biochemistry graduates roaming about in the country!
The job prospects in biochemistry is limited and virtually every university in Nigeria produce biochemistry graduates every year to compound the unemployment rate in the field.

You'll be better off with MLS even in terms of knowledge! Professional medical courses impart more knowledge due to the way they are taught.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by flokii: 11:49am On Oct 03, 2020
@Op It's your choice really. If you want the MLS, then go for it.
While I was in my finals back then in uni, I met a friend already in his late thirties starting MBBS (Medicine) that'll take another 10years for him to fully practice. Time flies and before you know it, you're done.
Take Kanayo O. Kanayo for instance, he got called to bar recently at age 50+ so nothing stops you.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by sageb: 11:57am On Oct 03, 2020
Herbephe1:

In Nigeria today,Biochemistry has low job opportunities, my elder brother who graduated from unilorin has not being able to secured job since 2017.
if your passion is in Medical lab. Science then go for it. But remember to apply for suspension of studies in your present school when the MLS admission works out. Goodluck in your aspiration.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 03, 2020
Jman06:
It will be in your best interest to pursue that MLS admission and do everything within your power to get it. It is better to finish MLS and start practicing even at 40 than to finish biochemistry now and join the pool of unemployed biochemistry graduates roaming about in the country!
The job prospects in biochemistry is limited and virtually every university in Nigeria produce biochemistry graduates every year to compound the unemployment rate in the field.

You'll be better off with MLS even in terms of knowledge! Professional medical courses impart more knowledge due to the way they are taught.

thanks so much I really appreciate it sir

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 2:04pm On Oct 03, 2020
sageb:
if your passion is in Medical lab. Science then go for it. But remember to apply for suspension of studies in your present school when the MLS admission works out. Goodluck in your aspiration.
Thanks so much sir. I will do as you suggest, but what's the consequences if I failed to apply for suspension of studies in my current school? Because I have seen someone running two higher institutions simultaneously
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 2:10pm On Oct 03, 2020

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Uyi168: 6:57pm On Oct 03, 2020
sageb:
Biochemistry in Nigeria is trash..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Uyi168: 6:59pm On Oct 03, 2020
At 20 u are still young.
Pls go for MLS..
I got pharmacy at 22..

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by BigDick70inch(m): 7:44pm On Oct 03, 2020
sageb:

Oga..
Not all biochemistry relate to medical..
Biochemistry is of two okay??
Industrial biochemistry..
Medical biochemistry..

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 10:57pm On Oct 03, 2020
Uyi168:
At 20 u are still young. Pls go for MLS.. I got pharmacy at 22..
late 20 Sir. 3more years sir I will be thirty
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 11:00pm On Oct 03, 2020
BigDick70inch:

Oga.. Not all biochemistry relate to medical.. Biochemistry is of two okay?? Industrial biochemistry.. Medical biochemistry..
considering my age sir, what do you suggest sir?
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by BigDick70inch(m): 1:05am On Oct 04, 2020
Herbephe1:
considering my age sir, what do you suggest sir?

[b]bro..
U said u r on late side of yo 20s..
See ehn??due to current unemployment rate in Nigeria..

I'd advice u go for hot/needed medical course..that will start putting food on your table immediately u become graduate..

Not..jux going ahead to study one yeye course..that will put you in same league with job seekers later bro..

Companies..prefer going after young graduates of atleast max of 25yrs dis days..

Let's say..u eventually finished yo medical school at 30+ ehn??

You still be deemed fresh enough to practise..and with time u can get yo own clinic to be own your own boss..

Hope u understand where am coming from??

Continue with your biochemistry..but then do good to get a very high mark in your post time okay??

U might even..be lucky to get a switch from biochemistry to your medical choice..if your school has her biochemistry under medical..

See ehn bro..relate more with your lectures to know more..u r have advantages over fresh admission seekers already bro..

Shalom..[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Uyi168: 7:18am On Oct 04, 2020
Herbephe1:

Ok..
Still, age na number..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by sageb: 10:17am On Oct 04, 2020
Herbephe1:

Thanks so much sir. I will do as you suggest, but what's the consequences if I failed to apply for suspension of studies in my current school? Because I have seen someone running two higher institutions simultaneously
if you don't apply for suspension of studies and you leave the school. It will be assumed by the school management that you have voluntarily withdrew your studentship. The implication is that you cannot return to that programme in future.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by ezimo777(m): 12:43pm On Oct 04, 2020
Herbephe1:

Oga, let me inform you sir. You're too young in short, over young dey worry you.

I started medical school (MBBS) at 27years, note, I sponsor my self and IN 400L Now.
I have a lot to Tel you but wouldn't want to dish out all on a public forum as such.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Herbephe1(m): 2:05pm On Oct 05, 2020
ezimo777:

Oga, let me inform you sir. You're too young in short, over young dey worry you.

I started medical school (MBBS) at 27years, note, I sponsor my self and IN 400L Now.
I have a lot to Tel you but wouldn't want to dish out all on a public forum as such.

how I wish I could contact u sir
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by ezimo777(m): 7:13pm On Oct 06, 2020
Herbephe1:

how I wish I could contact u sir

Thought we've communicated via e-mail
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by mozkidayo(m): 4:35pm On Oct 27, 2020
ezimo777:

Thought we've communicated via e-mail

Good day sir. Please sir Is there a way I can communicate better with you. I wanna ask some questions about unijos Mbbs direct entry route
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by ezimo777(m): 6:06pm On Oct 27, 2020
mozkidayo:

Good day sir. Please sir Is there a way I can communicate better with you. I wanna ask some questions about unijos Mbbs direct entry route
I've responded to your mail Sir
Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by Thesole(m): 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2020
Herbephe1:

mr OP if u get the admission to study MLS please go for it l. there is no age limit when it comes to education especially on professional courses. Don't let age change your mind. Am currently 23 in 200l studying B.pharm and we have older guys about 5 of them in my level some are even married. They have high advantage than the younger adults because their relationship with our lecturer is different. The departmental staff listens to them well. Their school life is quite easy and less stressful. Most of the vital material na them dy access am

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by HEART1234: 10:19pm On Oct 27, 2020
@ Herbephe1

Firstly, do you have passion for MLS or you opt for it because of job opportunities? Nonetheless, it's a good choice I believe you won't regret coupled with tenacity, perseverance, ability to handle the discipline with seriousness. Anyways I don't expect anything less from you

In addition, get ready for challenges. Needless to paint a hitch free journey to you or sugar coat the new phase to you. There are some challenges you will encouter, which you have mentioned ( age). I don't know how financially bouyant you are and the level of support you will get from your parents, family members that will facilitate your journey in MLS because as you age/grow, a lot of expectation will surfaced.
Note some people are already counting and noting the year you secure your biochemistry admission unknowingly to you hence, pressure when you do not graduate at the expected year which they assume you should graduate. Many of your mate in biochemistry would have graduated while you're still in school (MLS Dept). Would you be able to endure any unforeseen ASUU strike? ASUU strike drains ones mental health especially for those who are not young.

Note- I am not to discourage you nor put forward any unnecessary fear but to keep you aware of likely challenges you may be faced with. However, it is not how far but how well. MLS as a course worth jettisoning biochemistry for and pursuing.

You can learn some skills, save prior to time you resume for MLS in order to complement and ease your financial status because this is crucial, as one age it is not easy to be demanding/requesting for money from parent.

I will advise you not to back down in getting MLS.

I hope this advice meet you well.

I wish you success in your endeavors

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Elders! Pls I Need Your Thoughtful And Candid Advice. by jaymorgan(m): 10:39pm On Oct 27, 2020
Herbephe1:

Bro dream is dream, age has nothing to do. I'm 22 and I've not gotten medicine which is my dream. I hope to do it after my first degree... Seeing posts like this alone encourages me talkless of it being realistic. Please purse your dreams. We need people like you to look to as an example of not giving up.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

IPPIS: Senate Intervenes, Says Govt Should Not Sign Agreement It Can’t Implement / 2021 Kiisi Trust Foundation Ogoni Scholarship / Heart Melting Note On An Abandoned Child (Histogore)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.