Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) (1803 Views)

An All-Female Pilot Crew Crashed The U.S Navy Spy Plane In The Sea (Photos) / Cable Car Crashed On Mountain, Killed 14 In Italy (Photos) / Wreckage Of A Plane That Crashed In Canada And Everyone Survived (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2020
On Nov 24 1973, the US Navy airplane, a Douglas Super DC-3 was forced to crash land on Sólheimasandur beach.

Amazingly, the crew all survived the impact, but the plane was abandoned rather than recovered, meaning the weather-beaten remains are still standing at the crash site.

The exact reason for the crash is not known, although some sources suggest the plane simply ran out of fuel after the pilot switched to the wrong fuel tank.

These incredible shots of the aircraft were taken by Eric Cheng, 38, photographer and director of aerial imaging at drone manufacturer DJI, who visited with his wife Pam.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643794/Left-rot-The-eerie-wreckage-crashed-U-S-Navy-aircraft-abandoned-Icelandic-beach-40-years-ago.html

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:31pm On Oct 03, 2020
'After planning to go to Iceland for a vacation with my wife, I started hearing rumours about a plane wreck located on a huge black sand beach,' Cheng, who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, said.

'My wife is a huge airplane buff, so it was pretty clear that I had to find it so I could show it to her.'

Its tail and wings are gone and its windows are all smashed in since it was forced to crash land on Sólheimasandur beach on Saturday November 24 1973.

1 Share

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:32pm On Oct 03, 2020
The most popular theory of what caused the crash is that the plane crashed after running out of fuel during a storm, after the pilot accidentally switched to the wrong fuel tank.

The plane was returning to Keflavík from the town Höfn in Hornafjörður fjord, in Southeast Iceland.

It had been delivering equipment for the US Radar Station on Stokkses east of Höfn.

All five crew members survived the crash uninjured, but the plane was badly damaged.

The US Navy decided that recovering the plane from the crash site on the barren sand near the ocean, some 3.5 km (2.5 mi) from the nearest road, Suðurlandsvegur was too difficult.

The Navy then stripped the plane of everything of any value the empty husk was left on the sand where it has stood ever since in the harsh weather.

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:33pm On Oct 03, 2020
The plane is located around six miles off the main road west of Vik on Sólheimasandur Beach, meaning Cheng had to hunt down GPS coordinates online and drive to the crash site in a 4x4.

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
The plane wreck has featured in countless traveler photos, a Bollywood movie, several TV commercials and music videos, perhaps most famously in a 2007 Sigur Rós documentary, and more recently in the video for Justin Bieber’s I’ll Show You.

The scenery and otherworldly composition of black sand and weathered gray hulk of the plane draw thousands of visitors every year.

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 1:37pm On Oct 03, 2020
The plane crashed about 115 miles south east of Iceland's capital Reykjavik.

It attracts thousands of tourists, photographers, couples every year, home and abroad.

'You can walk right into the fuselage from the back of the plane and make your way into the cockpit.

'It was also an amazing experience because there were very few tourists around.

'We spent about half an hour wandering around and in the wreck and during that time, only two jeeps pulled up, and only for a few minutes. Most of the time it was just us and the wreck.'

Wedding photo shoots.

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 1:38pm On Oct 03, 2020
cheesy cheesy
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by overdrive(m): 1:40pm On Oct 03, 2020
cheesy
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Taich(m): 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2020
Cool spot
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by boujeeassnigga(m): 1:43pm On Oct 03, 2020
Damn, this place just scream 'paranormal'. I fuckin love it!
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Iyoocartel(f): 1:44pm On Oct 03, 2020
Iyooooooo cartel

If to say this stuff dey Nigeria boys go dey sell am in parts to iron condemn people until it's remaining only the dust

1 Like

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Madibah(m): 1:53pm On Oct 03, 2020
Why dis kind thin no happen for Lagos
Boys go don sell am for condemn condemn grin

1 Like

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by GreaterFuture1(m): 2:40pm On Oct 03, 2020
What a wreck
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2020
Breathtaking sight, beautiful scenery, precious antique, colorful memory of the past.

The kind of things you can only obtain from a rational society where sanity is at it's peak and life is well balanced.
The same Creator who fabricated this vast universe obviously made the whites, but most times, one is always tempted to ask if it was the same Creator who made the blacks too. Both races are two distinct sides of a coin.
White folks pay attention to every little detail, and ascribe value to every iota of existence. They strive each new moment to give life a better meaning, while at the same time they preserve the footprints of the past, in order to learn from it and make it all beautiful memories.

A typical black man has nothing to do with all these, he's only concerned with all his/her dark thoughts and how to carry them out. How to harm others, how to intimidate others, how to look down on others and show he/she's better than them. How to make everyone belongings his/her personal belonging, so no one else with be at his/her level.
Loot everything, waste everything, kill all animals into extinction, destroy all the trees in the forest, make no plans for the future. No respect for existence or human life, just maul all the beauties of nature like pathetic brutes.

I always imagine what the world would have looked like without white folks. We would still be living in huts, going about with no clothes and shoes, sacrificing people to gods and every other primitive lifestyle, forever stuck in the stone age era till the end of time.
May sense locate the black race someday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Kharol1234: 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2020
Saw this plane on Bear grills (ultimate survival)shows on one of is survival trip in Iceland....
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by ednut1(m): 6:10pm On Oct 03, 2020
Would love to visit it one day

1 Like

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Flexherbal(m): 6:22pm On Oct 03, 2020
All five crew members survived the crash uninjured, but the plane was badly damaged.

Na wetin money dey fit buy damage.
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by fati2001(m): 9:17am On Oct 13, 2020
WOW.
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:34am On Oct 19, 2020
ednut1:
Would love to visit it one day

Same here, don't understand why they have black beach sand.

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 19, 2020
Explorers:

Same here, don't understand why they have black beach sand.

I got one answer for you, Mr. Explorers: Volcanic eruptions.

Volcanic eruptions and subsequent lava flows are what make those beach sands/pebbles appear black(wish I could expand on that).

You know Iceland has a lot of volcanos, right? That island is seismically active.
Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Explorers(m): 7:54am On Oct 19, 2020
mansakhalifa:

Volcanic eruptions and subsequent lava flows are what make those beach sands/pebbles appear black(wish I could expand on that).

You know Iceland has a lot of volcanos, right?

That island is seismically active.

Yea, you're right at the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Wreckage Of U.S. Navy Plane That Crashed On Iceland Black Beach In 1973(Pics) by Edopesin: 9:15am On Oct 19, 2020
mansakhalifa:

You know Iceland has a lot of volcanos, right? That island is seismically active.

Hmm makes sense
I first saw the black beach sands in the HBO Vikings series but never realized this

(1) (Reply)

41 Nigerians Deported From The US Today / Good Countries Aside Us, Canada, Australia, Uk / Need More Info On Getting A Swedish Visiting Permit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.