Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

What Does The Law Say? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Does The Law Say? (466 Views)

What Does It Mean For Babies To Be Looking Through Their Legs? / What The Law Says About Next-of-kin In Nigeria / Christian Mother Does The Zanku/Legwork Dance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 11:10pm On Oct 04, 2020
Hello, house. I have lived in this house for 4 years.My rent was to expire September 2020, last month. Beginning of September, I approached my landlord that I might not renew my rent because I have been paying more on transport since the of lockdown. I therefore look forward to moving closer to my place of work. Even though his reply was quite derogatory but I maintained calmness.

Today 4th of October, I approached him that I have started looking but I haven't gotten an affordable and suitable place in the area I chose to look for a place that I should move in the next two weeks. His reaction is a derogatory one as usual but this time, he said he didn't expect me to stay beyond the last day of October. He stated that i'm not allowing other people that might want to check the access even though he never called to discuss anything in that regard.

He said since I didn't move out by last day of October, that means I have to pay him for 1 month. The agent taking me round for house hunting said the law says I should pay. The agent that actually brought me to the said house 4 years ago said i'm supposed to be given 3 months to find my way. A friend also said also said its 3 months even though my plan is to move immediately I get a good place. What exactly does the tenancy law say about situations like this?

Thanks
Re: What Does The Law Say? by bukatyne(f): 11:23pm On Oct 04, 2020
Switch places.

If you were the landlord, what would you want?

The law has no morals.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Law Say? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:25pm On Oct 04, 2020
Since your rent has expired, you are owing your landlord for the default but the faster you move out the more likely your landlord is going to waiver payment.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by FirstCounsel(m): 11:51pm On Oct 04, 2020
yommen:
Hello, house. I have lived in this house for 4 years.My rent was to expire September 2020, last month. Beginning of September, I approached my landlord that I might not renew my rent because I have been paying more on transport since the of lockdown. I therefore look forward to moving closer to my place of work. Even though his reply was quite derogatory but I maintained calmness.

Today 4th of October, I approached him that I have started looking but I haven't gotten an affordable and suitable place in the area I chose to look for a place that I should move in the next two weeks. His reaction is a derogatory one as usual but this time, he said he didn't expect me to stay beyond the last day of October. He stated that i'm not allowing other people that might want to check the access even though he never called to discuss anything in that regard.

He said since I didn't move out by last day of October, that means I have to pay him for 1 month. The agent taking me round for house hunting said the law says I should pay. The agent that actually brought me to the said house 4 years ago said i'm supposed to be given 3 months to find my way. A friend also said also said its 3 months even though my plan is to move immediately I get a good place. What exactly does the tenancy law say about situations like this?

Thanks

If you're a yearly tenant, how can your notice be 3 months?
Re: What Does The Law Say? by tobechi74: 12:24am On Oct 05, 2020
yommen:

Thanks

you do not want to pay lawyer for legal advice do you come to nairaland for free opinion of people as ignorant as you

1 Like

Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 5:48am On Oct 05, 2020
bukatyne:
Switch places.

The law has no morals.

When I wrote my final exams in school and my rent expired already, my landlord then gave me a month to finalise my project and leave. So nothing stops me from giving a tenant who has stayed for 4 years and never owes just about two weeks to move his things out.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Mood11: 5:49am On Oct 05, 2020
tobechi74:
you do not want to pay lawyer for legal advice do you come to nairaland for free opinion of people as ignorant as you
This is so mean angry grin
Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 5:49am On Oct 05, 2020
FirstCounsel:

Well, I don't know about these things. That's why I'm asking Sir.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by UDUJ(m): 5:54am On Oct 05, 2020
yommen:

Well, I don't know about these things. That's why I'm asking Sir.

The family section is a wrong place to place this thread.

Create it in the Properties section. That's where you will find experienced agents and lawyers that can properly guide you.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 6:09am On Oct 05, 2020
tobechi74:

Lawyer korr, lawyer ni. I once contributed 11k to buy tank within the compound which the landlord himself lives. He needed to buy a tank to replace an old leaky tank. Tank was 30k but he complained of no money. The other tenant, an elderly woman approached me and we agreed to assist. Between ourselves, we agreed to assist and I dropped 8k while the woman dropped 7 and we gave him. After buying and mounting the tank, he still approached us that he was the one who paid for labour of mounting the tank and there was a need to mend the old leaky tank and use it as a reservoir within compound and he said we should bear the cost of labour for that one which was 3k. I told the other tenant not to worry and I paid the 3k, totaling 11k. This is purely the landlord's responsibility but I assisted just in the spirit of brotherliness. So if he can't just give me like the weeks I need to look for a place and move my things, I don't think there was any moral justification for me to have contributed for purchase of his tank then. I will deduct my 11k from 1 month rent and I'll balance him. He doesn't deserve it.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 6:10am On Oct 05, 2020
UDUJ:

The family section is a wrong place to place this thread.

Create it in the Properties section. That's where you will find experienced agents and lawyers that can properly guide you.

Ok thanks.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:30am On Oct 05, 2020
bukatyne:
Switch places.

The law has no morals.

The Law is Morals and Good but False and wicked man made laws have none.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:35am On Oct 05, 2020
FirstCounsel:

Do not even think about it, he is already on his way out and he is only asking for a reasonable time without pay which the landlord can grant him.

The only thing is that your landlord is reasonably apprehensive whether you would keep to the agreed period.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 05, 2020
you had more than enough time to look for another place since April this year, thats more than 4 months na
Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 7:05am On Oct 05, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Do not even think about it, he is already on his way out and he is only asking for a reasonable time without pay which the landlord can grant him.

The only thing is that your landlord is reasonably apprehensive whether you would keep to the agreed period.

He is not actually talking about agreed period. He believes I should pay for 1 month straight on.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by yommen: 7:09am On Oct 05, 2020
BLUELemon:
you had more than enough time to look for another place since April this year, thats more than 4 months na

I never even thought about leaving as far back as April. I never even thought of leaving the place anytime but towards the end of August, I started how much I could save on transport if I decide to move when my rent expired. As a matter of fact, I can still actually pay another full year if I don get a good place.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:20pm On Oct 05, 2020
yommen:

He is not actually talking about agreed period. He believes I should pay for 1 month straight on.

Yes, because he is trying to put pressure on you to vacate his property.

Therefore, "Appeal" for a reasonable time to vacate and offer a definite period of time, citing your good behaviour and good conscience and You Must Abide by that Promise.

For if you want to receive goodness, you must also give goodness too, and the goodness you can give to him is the timely return of his house to him, while you get to stay for that period without any charge.
Re: What Does The Law Say? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2020
yommen:

I never even thought about leaving as far back as April. I never even thought of leaving the place anytime but towards the end of August, I started how much I could save on transport if I decide to move when my rent expired. As a matter of fact, I can still actually pay another full year if I don get a good place.

You do not need to defend yourself here, for up to the time your rent ends in September, you can make and unmake your mind about renewing your rent but in October, the Consequences of your mind will surely occur.

So do not worry about your previous indecision rather, concentrate on vacating quickly.

(1) (Reply)

I Got Married! / Window Blinds @ #7500 (08064776356) / Nigerian Couple Welcome Baby Girl After 15 Years(video,photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.