Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

What Does The Law Say Please ? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Does The Law Say Please ? (325 Views)

What Does The Bulb Africa Do? / Does The Law Forbid A Lawyer From Engaging As A Property Agent? / Introduction To The Law Of Agency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Law Say Please ? by yommen: 6:11am On Oct 05, 2020
Hello, house. I have lived in this house for 4 years.My rent was to expire September 2020, last month. Beginning of September, I approached my landlord that I might not renew my rent because I have been paying more on transport since the of lockdown. I therefore look forward to moving closer to my place of work. Even though his reply was quite derogatory but I maintained calmness.

Today 4th of October, I approached him that I have started looking but I haven't gotten an affordable and suitable place in the area I chose to look for a place that I should move in the next two weeks. His reaction is a derogatory one as usual but this time, he said he didn't expect me to stay beyond the last day of October. He stated that i'm not allowing other people that might want to check the access even though he never called to discuss anything in that regard.

He said since I didn't move out by last day of October, that means I have to pay him for 1 month. The agent taking me round for house hunting said the law says I should pay. The agent that actually brought me to the said house 4 years ago said i'm supposed to be given 3 months to find my way. A friend also said also said its 3 months even though my plan is to move immediately I get a good place. What exactly does the tenancy law say about situations like this?

Thanks
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:15am On Oct 05, 2020
The law says consult a lawyer
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by sonyad: 6:21am On Oct 05, 2020
U have to pay for living in his house. If ur rent expires Sept and u don't move on Sept 30, u will pay for Oct. If u don't move by Oct 31 u will also pay for Nov. Till u move, u pay.

There is no free rent in our laws.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by LawLab247: 6:25am On Oct 05, 2020
Talk to a lawyer
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by Dominiqueismad: 6:26am On Oct 05, 2020
sonyad:
U have to pay for living in his house. If ur rent expires Sept and u don't move on Sept 30, u will pay for Oct. If u don't move by Oct 31 u will also pay for Nov. Till u move, u pay.

There is no free rent in our laws.
you will pay inasmuch he didn't give you quit notice.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by Davash222(m): 6:35am On Oct 05, 2020
One of the advantages of being street-wise is to know when to apply common sense.

You shouldn’t have let the landlord know your intention until you secured a new place.

Forget what the law say, no landlord will be happy habouring a tenant that will not pay, even if it’s two weeks.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by yanabasee(m): 6:40am On Oct 05, 2020
You should pay if you want to... but if you don't want to, go to court and challenge him as you had informed him of your intentions to park out and I hope you didn't tell him that you all leave before the end of that Sept.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by yommen: 6:58am On Oct 05, 2020
Davash222:
One of the advantages of being street-wise is to know when to apply common sense.

You shouldn’t have let the landlord know your intention until you secured a new place.

Forget what the law say, no landlord will be happy habouring a tenant that will not pay, even if it’s two weeks.

Yeah I learnt my lessons. In the 4 years though, I never owed. Your comment is well noted.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by yommen: 7:03am On Oct 05, 2020
DuBLINGreenb:
The law says consult a lawyer

I think I'll rather just pay instead of consulting a lawyer. The rent is 15k per month amounting to 180k annually. I might end up spending more with the lawyer and so on.

He actually gave me a letter of increase if I were to totally renew. It's supposed to be N200k. I believe I'm supposed to pay the old rate and not new rate since I'm not totally renewing.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by anthonyuncle(m): 7:24am On Oct 05, 2020
u did a very terrible mistake by revealing ur intentions of moving out to him.
btw, where's da location of dz house? what type of apartment is it?
make we see whether we go run substitution method

1 Like

Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by sonyad: 10:48am On Oct 05, 2020
Dominiqueismad:
you will pay inasmuch he didn't give you quit notice.

Are u saying u stop paying rent when u re given a notice to quit at the expiration of ur rent period, whether u quit or not? That's not correct, if that's what u saying. U pay for as long as u live there, there is no free accommodation/rent. But I will leave it to the experts
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by yommen: 12:51pm On Oct 05, 2020
sonyad:

Are u saying u stop paying rent when u re given a notice to quit at the expiration of ur rent period, whether u quit or not? That's not correct, if that's what u saying. U pay for as long as u live there, there is no free accommodation/rent. But I will leave it to the experts

If it's quit notice, you don't pay the 6 months.
Re: What Does The Law Say Please ? by sonyad: 4:17pm On Oct 05, 2020
yommen:

If it's quit notice, you don't pay the 6 months.

Not correct.

(1) (Reply)

Be Come A Landlord In Lbeju Lekki / Distress Sale / Shipping Containers Or Concrete Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.