Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness (1431 Views)

Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? / Relationship between Righteousness And Faith. / Human Righteousness And The Righteousness Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2020
There are lots of people asking "what're are difference between "righteousness" and "holiness"
i can reveal the difference between them
RIGHTEOUSNESS->>it simply means to do the "right thing" or to do what is morally right and fair, which means being righteous requires generosity and humbleness, let's switch to "holiness"
what is holiness? holiness is simply "conneting to GOD and your religion.. Or being good in a moral and religious way,
[u]conclusion[\u]
righteousness is "doing the right thing" which means "someone can be righteous but not be of GOD" while holiness is connecting with GOD.
thanks.
if you have any question you wanna ask, you can ask politely.
you can also click and follow me, if you love topics like this >>FOLLOW PEARLLA<<

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Edaniels9(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2020
Pearlla:
There are lots of people asking "what're are difference between "righteousness" and "holiness"
RIGHTEOUSNESS->>it simply means to do the "right thing" or to do what is morally right and fair, which means being righteous requires generosity and humbleness, let's switch to "holiness"
what is holiness? holiness is simply "conneting to GOD and your religion.. Or being good in a moral and religious way,
[u]conclusion[\u]
righteousness is "doing the right thing" which means "someone can be righteous but not be of GOD" while holiness is connecting with GOD.
thanks.
you can also click and follow me, if you love topics like this >>FOLLOW PEARLLA<<

Thank you for enlightening us on this, but I beg to disagree with you.

Righteousness means right standing with God. And no man can obtain righteousness by works of the flesh. we are made righteous by the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:21 tells us that "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God".

Holiness on the other hand means pure, wholly pure. And there is only one holy, which is our heavenly Father-God. Mark 10:18 - Jesus told the young rich man who came to him that there is no one good only God. As Christians God commands us to be holy because he is holy(1 Pet. 1:16), as such he is admonishing us to live lives that connotes our name as children of God. Just like your earthly father will also remind you of whose son/daughter you are. so God is asking us to live like his children, however only the holy spirit in the life of a Christian can make him attain holiness.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 06, 2020
Pearlla:
[u]conclusion[\u]
thanks.
Righteousness & Holiness Goes Hand To Hand. A Righteous Man Is An Holy Man. An Holy Man Is A Righteous Man. However, D Righteousness Of God (by grace) Means Dat A Person Accepts Jesus As His Lord & Saviour & Do D Will Of God Or D Teachings Of Christ. Dis Is D Real Righteousness Opposed To Self-righteousness Or Righteousness By D Law.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2020
Edaniels9:

Righteousness means right standing with God. And no man can obtain righteousness by works of the flesh. we are made righteous by the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:21 tells us that "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God".

Holiness on the other hand means pure, wholly pure. And there is only one holy, which is our heavenly Father-God. Mark 10:18 - Jesus told the young rich man who came to him that there is no one good only God. As Christians God commands us to be holy because he is holy(1 Pet. 1:16), as such he is admonishing us to live lives that connotes our name as children of God. Just like your earthly father will also remind you of whose son/daughter you are. so God is asking us to live like his children, however only the holy spirit in the life of a Christian can make him attain holiness.
I get your point. but they are actually different. you can be righteous without being holy. trust me. it's a fact.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 5:53pm On Oct 06, 2020
Truvel:
Righteousness & Holiness Goes Hand To Hand. A Righteous Man Is An Holy Man. An Holy Man Is A Righteous Man. However, D Righteousness Of God (by grace) Means Dat A Person Accepts Jesus As His Lord & Saviour & Do D Will Of God Or D Teachings Of Christ. Dis Is D Real Righteousness Opposed To Self-righteousness Or Righteousness By D Law.
nice. this was really helpful.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Shawl001(m): 5:58pm On Oct 06, 2020
Righteousness is not worked for...and cannot. It is obtained, received the moment we accept Jesus as our Lord and personal Savior. Nothing Can be added to it, or removed from it. No Christian is more righteous or can be more righteous than the other. We all have the same Righteousness in Christ. And Christ, alone made us righteous.

Holiness on the other hand can be worked out. This is simply my workings, act of obedience to God and His chosen authorities...even while I stand and function on the platform of being Righteous by faith in Christ.

Summary,
No true holiness except that which comes from the stand point of being righteous by faith in Christ.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 6:03pm On Oct 06, 2020
Shawl001:
Righteousness is not worked for...and cannot. It is obtained, received the moment we accept Jesus as our Lord and personal Savior. Nothing Can be added to it, or removed from it. No Christian is more righteous or can be more righteous than the other. We all have the same Righteousness in Christ. And Christ, alone made us righteous.

Holiness on the other hand can be worked out. This is simply my workings, act of obedience to God and His chosen authorities...even while I stand and function on the platform of being Righteous by faith in Christ.

Summary,
No true holiness except that which comes from the stand point of being righteous by faith in Christ.
thanks for enlighting. but the fact still remains the fact. they are two different things that work either together or differently. thanks once again. you can follow me to get more of things related. still your girl pearlla. nice.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 6:06pm On Oct 06, 2020
Pearlla:
Sounds like the Zoroastrian explaination of righteousness is what you posted above.
Pearlla:
You claim holiness is about "connecting with God and your religion" but you provide no details on what it means it entails to connect to God. So here's a different question for you, what are specific details of what one must do to become and remain holy?
Pearlla:
[u]conclusion[\u]
What are the "right things" to do as far as those who believe in God are concerned then? Obviously, throwing out a generic definition here and there will not cut it as far as living the life that God wants us to live.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 6:17pm On Oct 06, 2020
Shawl001:
Righteousness is not worked for...and cannot. It is obtained, received the moment we accept Jesus as our Lord and personal Savior. Nothing Can be added to it, or removed from it.
That is not true. Righteousness is not a state of mind or being... for if it were, then Jesus Christ lied when He said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be Satisfied" and "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.".
From what Jesus Christ Himself said as recorded in Matthew 5, Righteousness can indeed be added to and removed from, since one can hunger and thirst for it, with eventual satisfaction given of that hunger and thirst for it.
Shawl001:
No Christian is more righteous or can be more righteous than the other. We all have the same Righteousness in Christ. And Christ, alone made us righteous.
That again is not true since some have it and some don't have it. Those who hunger and thirst for it and receive eventual satisfaction, are said to have it, while those who do not have a hunger, or a thirst for it, will receive no satisfaction, and hence have none of it to be weighed.
Shawl001:
Holiness, like righteousness, are obviously works of obedience, which are laid out in the commandments that are the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ.
In Matthew 5, Jesus Christ indeed outlined to steps we need to take to become Holy, even as our Father in Heaven is Holy. And in Matthew 25 vs 31-40, Jesus Christ details the works of righteousness that those promised the kingdom of Heaven are to embark on, works similar in every way to those outlined in the Isaiah 58 for the righteous(just).
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Shawl001(m): 6:31pm On Oct 06, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
That is not true. Righteousness is not a state of mind or being... for if it were, then Jesus Christ lied when He said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be Satisfied" and "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.".
From what Jesus Christ Himself said as recorded in Matthew 5, Righteousness can indeed be added to and removed from, since one can hunger and thirst for it, with eventual satisfaction given of that hunger and thirst for it.
That again is not true since some have it and some don't have it. Those who hunger and thirst for it and receive eventual satisfaction, are said to have it, while those who do not have a hunger, or a thirst for it, will receive no satisfaction, and hence have none of it to be weighed.
Holiness, like righteousness, are obviously works of obedience, which are laid out in the commandments that are the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ.
In Matthew 5, Jesus Christ indeed outlined to steps we need to take to become Holy, even as our Father in Heaven is Holy. And in Matthew 25 vs 31-40, Jesus Christ details the works of righteousness that those promised the kingdom of Heaven are to embark on, works similar in every way to those outlined in the Isaiah 58 for the righteous(just).

You did well.

But you see,
Righteousness was something man struggled with right from the fall of Adam. And it's what birthed the concept of religion, that is, "man trying to find his way back to God, even in his fallen state".
But man couldn't. Nothing man did was worth it. That's why, Isaiah said, "all of our righteous acts are like filthy rags before God", because, we were already condemned in Adam.
But God had to make a help for mankind, He sent Jesus, and Jesus came to restore us back to God when He died. His death is what brought back the "unearned Righteousness or Right Standing" before God, to us all...to them that recieved Him (Jesus).

Now, after I've been made right with God, then all of my "righteous acts" which we call holiness, can now be accepted before God and no longer like filthy rags.

I think, it should be clearer now.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Dtruthspeaker: 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2020
Truvel:

AMENDMENT!

Righteousness is the Road that leads to Holiness. Holiness is the Destination of Righteousness.

Proverbs 12:28
"In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.

A Righteous man can be a Holy Man if he is Consistently Righteous whilst a Holy man is Always Righteous!

Now, Righteousness is Subjective (ranging from person to person) so therefore the question is who or by what Standard are we going to use to measure Righteousness? for to do Wickedness is joy and right to an evil man!

And this is where the Righteousness of God far exceeds every other reasonable standard of the Most Rightness That is Most Encompassing in Any Relevant Subject!

Nothing else and No One else Comes Close!
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2020
Shawl001:
You did well. Now, after I've been made right with God, then all of my "righteous acts" which we call holiness, can now be accepted before God and no longer like filthy rags.
I think, it should be clearer now.
What do you mean when you say "after you have been made right with God"?
If you refer to the acceptance of Jesus Christ in terms of believing in Him, then according to Jesus Christ, such a person would first need to hunger and thirst for righteousness, and then will your thirst be satisfied. For without a hunger and a thirst for it, it cannot be satisfied, according to the blessing stated there in Matthew 5 by Jesus Christ.
As I earlier mentioned, Matthew 25 vs 31 -40 is where Jesus Christ details the works of righteousness required of those who expect to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Shawl001(m): 7:10pm On Oct 06, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
What do you mean when you say "after you have been made right with God"?
If you refer to the acceptance of Jesus Christ in terms of believing in Him, then according to Jesus Christ, such a person would first need to hunger and thirst for righteousness, and then will your thirst be satisfied. For without a hunger and a thirst for it, it cannot be satisfied, according to the blessing stated there in Matthew 5 by Jesus Christ.
As I earlier mentioned, Matthew 25 vs 31 -40 is where Jesus Christ details the works of righteousness required of those who expect to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

What that scripture is talking about is not the Righteousness we recieve by Faith in Jesus Christ... (Romans 5:17).
None of us could hunger and thirst to be saved, or made right with God. Only Jesus could help us do that, and He did when He died. He brought us right with God once again.

See these versions of that Matthew 5:6, you've been quoting:
"Happy are those who long to be just and good, for they shall be completely satisfied. (Matthew 5:6 (Living BIBLE)

6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they will be satisfied (New Living Translation)

Even this" hunger and Thirst Jesus is referring to is on the basis of a more deeper walk and work with God. Notice, He wasn't talking to unbelievers, He was talking to His dsicples...
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 06, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

AMENDMENT!

Righteousness is the Road that leads to Holiness. Holiness is the Destination of Righteousness.

Proverbs 12:28
"In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.

A Righteous man can be a Holy Man if he is Consistently Righteous whilst a Holy man is Always Righteous!

Now, Righteousness is Subjective (ranging from person to person) so therefore the question is who or by what Standard are we going to use to measure Righteousness? for to do Wickedness is joy and right to an evil man!

And this is where the Righteousness of God far exceeds every other reasonable standard of the Most Rightness That is Most Encompassing in Any Relevant Subject!

Nothing else and No One else Comes Close!
I Still Maintain My Word. Righteousness Goes Hand To Hand With Holiness. D Bible Say Abraham Believed God & It Was Counted As Righteousness Towards God. D Bible Also Says Without Faith It Is Impossible To Please God. I Said Dey Go Hand To Hand Because An Holy Person Wouldn't Want To Do Anything Dat Is Unrighteous (Wrong) In D Sight Of God Cuz It Would Make Him Unholy (unclean) B4 God.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by pozehnani(f): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2020
Wrong!

Righteouness is having a right standing with God not by what we have done right but because of what Christ has done to justify us and make us right before God.

Holiness is living a life of purity that is devoid of sin and this requires our consious effort to attain.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 8:15pm On Oct 06, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
Sounds like the Zoroastrian explaination of righteousness is what you posted above.
You claim holiness is about "connecting with God and your religion" but you provide no details on what it means it entails to connect to God. So here's a different question for you, what are specific details of what one must do to become and remain holy?
What are the "right things" to do as far as those who believe in God are concerned then? Obviously, throwing out a generic definition here and there will not cut it as far as living the life that God wants us to live.
so what's your point please.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by delkuf(m): 2:42am On Oct 07, 2020
Edaniels9:

But the Lord Jesus Christ talking to us said, be thou holy as your Father in heaven is holy
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by delkuf(m): 2:43am On Oct 07, 2020
Shawl001:

Summary,
Very good
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 5:29am On Oct 07, 2020
Pearlla:
so what's your point please.
God provided us, in His truth, with detailed definitions/descriptions for the terms in question, and so there is no need to consult a dictionary(a book filled with meanings and ideas according to the minds of men) where the things of God are concerned.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 5:41am On Oct 07, 2020
Shawl001:
What that scripture is talking about is not the Righteousness we recieve by Faith in Jesus Christ... (Romans 5:17).
Jesus Christ never told you that you will receive His righteousness either.

Is righteousness attainable? Ofcourse! Read the story of Job. Read of the man Noah, and to whom God attributed righteousness to. Job, the man from the Book of Job, was a righteous man, according to God, why? Because Job did as God had commanded that those who serve Him do. Read the Book of Job chapter 31.
Righteousness is attainable but only through doing what God commands you and I do, and not simply by doing what we want and believe to be good. That happens to be the very reason why the verse in Isaiah says, Our righteusness, meaning our opinions and ideas of what is good enough, is filthy rags as far as God is concerned.
Shawl001:
None of us could hunger and thirst to be saved, or made right with God. Only Jesus could help us do that, and He did when He died. He brought us right with God once again.
Saved from what though? Hungering and thirsting after righteousness is not about being "saved" from sin. It is about doing what God commands that all those who are His, do. He commanded some of the very same of those of the old covenant. So why do you of the New Covenant make excuses where all God asks is that you obey?
Shawl001:
See these versions of that Matthew 5:6, you've been quoting:
"Happy are those who long to be just and good, for they shall be completely satisfied. (Matthew 5:6 (Living BIBLE)

6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they will be satisfied (New Living Translation)

Even this" hunger and Thirst Jesus is referring to is on the basis of a more deeper walk and work with God. Notice, He wasn't talking to unbelievers, He was talking to His dsicples...
Deeper walk and work with God? Yes, the blessings that come with the New Covenant, only apply to those who not only believe in Jesus Christ but do the Will of the Father in Heaven, i.e. Obey Jesus Christ's every commandments.

A "deeper walk" with God is meaningless if it does not entail Obeying God's every commandment. In fact, like it is said in the book of Isaiah, all of our(ideas and opinions, and notions about what a deeper walk with God involves) is meaningless/filthy rags at the end of the day. What matters is that we hunger and thirst after the doing of that which God has commanded of us. And like Jesus Christ said, we will be satisfied.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Dtruthspeaker: 7:04am On Oct 07, 2020
Righteousness- "And he did what was right in the sight of the LORD".

Not your own Standard of Rightness in your eye or your fellow man's eye or anything's eye but God's Eye!

Holiness- State of being Always Always Righteous!
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 07, 2020
Pearlla:

I get your point. but they are actually different. you can be righteous without being holy. trust me. it's a fact.

Many of them don't understand how to read book (bible inclusive) to interpretation, though on few occasions Bible used righteousness in place of Holiness but the fact remains that righteousness is different,

One can be righteous without knowing or believe in God, just morally upright! But one can not be Holy without first be righteous man.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Shawl001(m): 8:38am On Oct 07, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
Jesus Christ never told you that you will receive His righteousness either.

Is righteousness attainable? Ofcourse! Read the story of Job. Read of the man Noah, and to whom God attributed righteousness to. Job, the man from the Book of Job, was a righteous man, according to God, why? Because Job did as God had commanded that those who serve Him do. Read the Book of Job chapter 31.
Righteousness is attainable but only through doing what God commands you and I do, and not simply by doing what we want and believe to be good. That happens to be the very reason why the verse in Isaiah says, Our righteusness, meaning our opinions and ideas of what is good enough, is filthy rags as far as God is concerned.
Saved from what though? Hungering and thirsting after righteousness is not about being "saved" from sin. It is about doing what God commands that all those who are His, do. He commanded some of the very same of those of the old covenant. So why do you of the New Covenant make excuses where all God asks is that you obey?
Deeper walk and work with God? Yes, the blessings that come with the New Covenant, only apply to those who not only believe in Jesus Christ but do the Will of the Father in Heaven, i.e. Obey Jesus Christ's every commandments.

A "deeper walk" with God is meaningless if it does not entail Obeying God's every commandment. In fact, like it is said in the book of Isaiah, all of our(ideas and opinions, and notions about what a deeper walk with God involves) is meaningless/filthy rags at the end of the day. What matters is that we hunger and thirst after the doing of that which God has commanded of us. And like Jesus Christ said, we will be satisfied.

At this point,
Only the Holy Spirit can make you understand what I'm trying to say...so I will allow Him.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 9:51am On Oct 07, 2020
Fussion1000:

Many of them don't understand how to read book (bible inclusive) to interpretation, though on few occasions Bible used righteousness in place of Holiness but the fact remains that righteousness is different,

One can be righteous without knowing or believe in God, just morally upright! But one can not be Holy without first be righteous man.
thanks for understanding the fact
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 9:56am On Oct 07, 2020
Kobojunkiee:
God provided us, in His truth, with detailed definitions/descriptions for the terms in question, and so there is no need to consult a dictionary(a book filled with meanings and ideas according to the minds of men) where the things of God are concerned.
hmm, i get your point, "men wisdom shouldn't be compared to things of the lord" thanks once again for enlightening us, hope you can follow me to get threads like this, thanks
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by delkuf(m): 9:56am On Oct 07, 2020
Shawl001:

At this point,
Only the Holy Spirit can make you understand what I'm trying to say...so I will allow Him.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by delkuf(m): 9:56am On Oct 07, 2020
Shawl001:

At this point,
The guy reads the Bible as if it is one evening newspaper
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 10:04am On Oct 07, 2020
delkuf:
lol
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by delkuf(m): 10:07am On Oct 07, 2020
Pearlla:

lol
Sincerely. I don't know if you have encounter him before. He is good but misinterpret the Bible.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Shawl001(m): 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2020
delkuf:

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Pearlla(f): 2:36pm On Oct 07, 2020
delkuf:
Sincerely. I don't know if you have encounter him before. He is good but misinterpret the Bible.
and that's wrong.
Re: Difference Between Righteousness And Holiness by Kobojunkiee: 5:50pm On Oct 07, 2020
Shawl001:
At this point,
LOL... You mean the Spirit of God will CHANGE what Jesus Christ said of those who will hunger and thirst after righteousness being satisfied? The Spirit of God will never contradict the word of God (Jesus Christ).

On the issue of a "deeper walk" with God, that idea is a delusion, a lie created by men to deceive other men. There is only one way and that way is Jesus Christ and everyone who will obey Him will walk in that one direction and that direction alone. There are no different degrees to the walk with God as far as the New Covenant that is Jesus Christ is concerned. ALL must submit and obey His commandments in all-wise. That is what Jesus Christ instructed all His disciples and the same applies to this day to everyone whose goal is Heaven in the end.

As for those who would rather create for themselves a different part, in the name of Jesus Christ, there eternal life, which they of course receive for believing Him, will be spent in Hell surviving eternal punishment. So, please do not let the words and delusions of other men deceive you into thinking that there will be those who are hot or cold or luke warm in the kingdom of God. No such enters His kingdom. Only those who obey His commandments as He has instructed will enter. It is that simple and straight forward!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thinking Of Joining Jehovah’s Witnesses? Watch This First!!! / Why Can Black Magic Not Give Correct Football Scores / RhodaRose:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.