Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

Fraud At First Bank ATM - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fraud At First Bank ATM (1569 Views)

Economic Hardship: Two Women Fight At Bank ATM (video) / Man Returns N30,000 Wrongly Dispensed To Him By Diamond Bank ATM / Mad Man Spotted At First Bank ATM, Abaji (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fraud At First Bank ATM by adanny01(m): 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2020
I drove to First bank Kafanchan branch1 with my First Bank ATM card to withdraw N2,000. There are 6 ATMs and there was a small queue. It does happen that people will not check other ATMs but queue behind the one that was last successfully used. So I decided to try one of the other 5 free ATMs.

I did the normal things, the ATM started counting cash. It made the counting sounds and stopped. It start again and stopped. Started again and stopped. The ATM kept counting, stop and resume for over 10mins. Every one had withdrawn and left, people came and left but mine was still counting, stopping and resuming.

Then I heard the ATM gallery door open, then the machine that I was using was opened from the inside. The ATM stopped counting as the "cash cartridge" or whatever it is called was removed from the machine.

At this point, I spoke to whoever was there whom I was sure could hear me. I told him my card was still in the machine and has been there for over 10mins. The person didn't reply. I kept hearing the usual noise when an ATM is being worked on.

At last, about 5mins later, my ATM Card ejected with an error message that I can't recall.

I had a thought, what if the person in there knew I attempted to withdraw N2,000 and took out the money and pocketed it before my card was ejected, it will automatically mean it will never be a dispense error if I made a claim.

I had kids in the car so I moved to another ATM and made the withdrawal which was successful.

2 days later, no reversal so I filled an online complaint form on the 24th September. I was replied same day to confirm which transaction failed (1st or 2nd) since both were of same amount. I replied them the 1st. After almost 2weeks, having had other transactions resolved in less time, I wrote them a follow up email and got the shocker below.

I was convinced that 11what I actually thought could happen actually happened. I also recalled a similar case over 2yrs ago when I used my Mother-in-law's ATM card in the same bank and lost N19,000. I couldn't follow the case since it wasn't my card, her bank couldn't resolve it for her too.

I feel hurt because there is fraud going on in that bank and they make me look like a liar.

Why on earth will I withdraw N2,000 on one ATM machine, move to the next machine, withdraw another N2,000, then claim a dispense error on the 1st one only.
Even if I have amnesia, how did i remember that the second transaction was successful? Why would I supposedly withdraw successfully on 1st ATM then move to the next one and withdraw again.

I can forget N2,000 but I can't move on with the obvious fraud.

Moderators please do the needful.

2 Likes

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Mokason28: 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2020
Lol
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Madibah(m): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2020
I know it's painful
But I need to laugh grin grin grin

Sorry I'm laughing o grin grin
Now let me comment

I'm laughing again grin grin
Laugh wan kill me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Jafar1: 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2020
Even UBA, They kept deducting my small money unknowingly to me, and all these they do without sending me debit alert....

Most Nigerian banks are scammers!

1 Like

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Nbotee(m): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2020
Madibah:
I no it's painful

Now let me comment

Are U in any way normal

4 Likes

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by keneryhark(m): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2020
ask for the Atm CCTV footage to confirm withdrawal. simple

3 Likes

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Freestainworld(m): 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2020
they nearly eat my money, only God saved me, they debited me 20k, 10k plus another 10k which they never dispensed to me, had it been I never kept quiet, they would have eaten my 40k for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by seunoj: 6:25pm On Oct 06, 2020
Send a mail responding to them and decline the position.
Copy cbn consumer protection
Your money go land sharply

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by tellmanny(m): 7:43pm On Oct 06, 2020
Please do not panic, sent them a mail again. Choose your words carefully. You could begin with 'First Bank trying to steal my money'
State the date and time of transaction and also state which of the 2 transactions was successful.
Request that the ATM footage on that day and time be reviewed.
Then cap with this 'that you will be reporting to the relevant regulatory authority if you don't have your money back after 1 week.

Goodluck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by dingbang(m): 8:49pm On Oct 06, 2020
Send me the details of the transaction let me investigate.

1 Like

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by lilkech(m): 11:00pm On Oct 06, 2020
Op your own case is very unfortunate, truth is there’s nothing you can do about it except you push for them to review the footage from the camera on that very atm machine which you tried to withdraw from (that’s if the stuff records video and not just only takes pictures).

My own case was funny, it happened some years ago. I went to one access bank atm to withdraw 10k, I slot my card in and keyed the amount I needed after inputting my pin then the machine started counting .... then started to dispense cash ... it kept dispensing and dispensing, as in the floodgate where the cash comes out from just flew WIDE OPEN and was spitting money out.

Others behind me on the queue were as astonished as I was. It dispensed more than 200k and it was just spitting the notes out at me (N500 notes oh)

I had to stuff the few in my hands into my pocket, pick up the ones that fell on the floor and then used my shirt as a basin to be catching the rest as they flew out of the machine at me. The machine kept throwing out notes upon notes for up to a minute rapidly before it stopped.

At the end of the drama I just packed everything in my shirt and then went into the bank itself wearing only singlet to complain and make a deposit of the amount I never needed back onto my account.

That was the day I started to fear atm machines and computers generally. When they want to FINISH you there won’t be any warning.

Thank goodness I had an account with that same bank and it was still in the daytime during banking hours if not sorry for be my name.

If you see the way the long line of waiting customers varnished from that atm gallery after the movie they saw ehn... lol

Omo fear machines oh.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by todaynewsreview: 1:05am On Oct 07, 2020
lilkech:
Op your own case is very unfortunate, truth is there’s nothing you can do about it except you push for them to review the footage from the camera on that very atm machine which you tried to withdraw from (that’s if the stuff records video and not just only takes pictures).

My own case was funny, it happened some years ago. I went to one access bank atm to withdraw 10k, I slot my card in and keyed the amount I needed after inputting my pin then the machine started counting .... then started to dispense cash ... it kept dispensing and dispensing, as in the floodgate where the cash comes out from just flew WIDE OPEN and was spitting money out.

Others behind me on the queue were as astonished as I was. It dispensed more than 200k and it was just spitting the notes out at me (N500 notes oh)

I had to stuff the few in my hands into my pocket, pick up the ones that fell on the floor and then used my shirt as a basin to be catching the rest as they flew out of the machine at me. The machine kept throwing out notes upon notes for up to a minute rapidly before it stopped.

At the end of the drama I just packed everything in my shirt and then went into the bank itself wearing only singlet to complain and make a deposit of the amount I never needed back onto my account.

That was the day I started to fear atm machines and computers generally. When they want to FINISH you there won’t be any warning.

Thank goodness I had an account with that same bank and it was still in the daytime during banking hours if not sorry for be my name.

If you see the way the long line of waiting customers varnished from that atm gallery after the movie they saw ehn... lol

Omo fear machines oh.

Lolzzzzzz
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 07, 2020
Madibah:
I know it's painful

Now let me comment

What's funny here You must be a faulty robot.
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 07, 2020
Lilkech the ATM must have known that you are millionaire and decided to embarass you.

1 Like

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by SavageResponse(m): 1:28am On Oct 07, 2020
adanny01:
I drove to First bank Kafanchan branch1 with my First Bank ATM card to withdraw N2,000. There are 6 ATMs and there was a small queue. It does happen that people will not check other ATMs but queue behind the one that was last successfully used. So I decided to try one of the other 5 free ATMs.

I did the normal things, the ATM started counting cash. It made the counting sounds and stopped. It start again and stopped. Started again and stopped. The ATM kept counting, stop and resume for over 10mins. Every one had withdrawn and left, people came and left but mine was still counting, stopping and resuming.

Then I heard the ATM gallery door open, then the machine that I was using was opened from the inside. The ATM stopped counting as the "cash cartridge" or whatever it is called was removed from the machine.

At this point, I spoke to whoever was there whom I was sure could hear me. I told him my card was still in the machine and has been there for over 10mins. The person didn't reply. I kept hearing the usual noise when an ATM is being worked on.

At last, about 5mins later, my ATM Card ejected with an error message that I can't recall.

I had a thought, what if the person in there knew I attempted to withdraw N2,000 and took out the money and pocketed it before my card was ejected, it will automatically mean it will never be a dispense error if I made a claim.

I had kids in the car so I moved to another ATM and made the withdrawal which was successful.

2 days later, no reversal so I filled an online complaint form on the 24th September. I was replied same day to confirm which transaction failed (1st or 2nd) since both were of same amount. I replied them the 1st. After almost 2weeks, having had other transactions resolved in less time, I wrote them a follow up email and got the shocker below.

I was convinced that 11what I actually thought could happen actually happened. I also recalled a similar case over 2yrs ago when I used my Mother-in-law's ATM card in the same bank and lost N19,000. I couldn't follow the case since it wasn't my card, her bank couldn't resolve it for her too.

I feel hurt because there is fraud going on in that bank and they make me look like a liar.

Why on earth will I withdraw N2,000 on one ATM machine, move to the next machine, withdraw another N2,000, then claim a dispense error on the 1st one only.
Even if I have amnesia, how did i remember that the second transaction was successful? Why would I supposedly withdraw successfully on 1st ATM then move to the next one and withdraw again.

It's very possible that the person who was working on the machine when it malfunctioned did not know you were there
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by adanny01(m): 6:06am On Oct 07, 2020
SavageResponse:

It's very possible that the person who was working on the machine when it malfunctioned did not know you were there

He very much knew.

The machine was counting money repeatedly and endlessly. The ATM will not do that on its own.

Secondly, the ATM is not sealed to the wall so i could hear his every movement. I spoke to him, he paused and continued what he was doing without a saying anything.
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Sybello: 9:32pm On Oct 07, 2020
Sorry to derail you people abit pls,
Good Day sir,
i have emailed you recently and it seems you havent seen it. Please i need your recommendations on affordable and competent Honda mechanics in kaduna. I will also appreciate your contact pls.
thanks
@adanny01
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by adanny01(m): 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2020
Sybello:
Sorry to derail you people abit pls,
Good Day sir,
i have emailed you recently and it seems you havent seen it. Please i need your nnnrecommendations on affordable and competent Honda mechanics in kaduna. I will also appreciate your contact pls.
thanks
@adanny01

I replied you. Will resend again.
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 07, 2020
adanny01:

Good evening OP

I am a Banker and i understand what happened but before I proceed let me reiterate that banks have provide strict mechanism to frustrate fraud perpetration by staff of the bank. So your notion that someone in the inside of the ATM is quite wrong, as a Banker and an ATM service savvy person your money wasn't stolen.

Actually I laughed at how people think about the bank and their staff as fraud... I was also naive about the whole thing when I wasn't in the bank.

Now back to your problem, it's quite simple what actually happened was an ATM technical fault that can occur to any instrument. In this situation because the ATM counted the money, it will definitely report the transaction as a successful one. In this situation the only way to confirm is by CCTV footage.

So you know. If the ATM doesn't count the money it will be report as a decline transaction and your money will be reversed automatically or reversed upon complaint where it will be log for reversal.

There are many public assumptions about bank that is quite surprising. I do understand I was in your shoe too.

Note: Banks are very careful with your fund you will need to be on both side to judge.

Goodnight
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by adanny01(m): 8:53pm On Oct 08, 2020
Harjibode:

Good evening OP

I am a Banker and i understand what happened but before I proceed let me reiterate that banks have provide strict mechanism to frustrate fraud perpetration by staff of the bank. So your notion that someone in the inside of the ATM is quite wrong, as a Banker and an ATM service savvy person your money wasn't stolen.

Actually I laughed at how people think about the bank and their staff as fraud... I was also naive about the whole thing when I wasn't in the bank.

Now back to your problem, it's quite simple what actually happened was an ATM technical fault that can occur to any instrument. In this situation because the ATM counted the money, it will definitely report the transaction as a successful one. In this situation the only way to confirm is by CCTV footage.

So you know. If the ATM doesn't count the money it will be report as a decline transaction and your money will be reversed automatically or reversed upon complaint where it will be log for reversal.

There are many public assumptions about bank that is quite surprising. I do understand I was in your shoe too.

Note: Banks are very careful with your fund you will need to be on both side to judge.

Goodnight

I don't specifically know how the ATM work but I assumed some things

1. The cash deposited in an ATM is fixed and recorded, for illustration say N100,000

2. The ATM being a teller keeps a ledger of all successful withdrawals. Therefore this teller machine is limited to dispensing 100,000.

3. If this ledger contains successful withdrawals of N102,000, it automatically means N2000 was not dispensed to someone or some people.

4. If the ATM has 100,000 in its ledger but the ATM still has 2000 cash in it, it still means the some one wasn't paid.

However, if the banker responsible for putting cash in the ATM is aware that the ATM registered successful debit of N2000 and didn't dispense it, if he pockets the N2000 while officially servicing the ATM, there is no record of the cash not being dispensed to the customer. The only proof is the CCTV footage which the Bank will never give the customer. As long as the ATM ledger and the cash left in the ATM balance, the bank will deny any claim of undispensed cash from the customer.

This is what is happening in this branch. It could be a possible intentional ATM sabotage.
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by seunoj: 11:38pm On Oct 08, 2020
Bankers declared fraudster over time has made pple believe every banker is a potential fraudster.

Let me make it clear, there is no way cash will not be dispense and the journal will record it as successful.
Every action on the machine is recorded from card insertion, to enter pin up till cash taken.
So how can journal record cash taken when the cash did not leave the machine.
They should do the needful. Op, do as earlier advised, u will get ur money

Harjibode:

Good evening OP

Goodnight

1 Like

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by BeuHarry: 7:17am On Oct 09, 2020
adanny01:

I don't specifically know how the ATM work but I assumed some things

1. The cash deposited in an ATM is fixed and recorded, for illustration say N100,000

2. The ATM being a teller keeps a ledger of all successful withdrawals. Therefore this teller machine is limited to dispensing 100,000.

3. If this ledger contains successful withdrawals of N102,000, it automatically means N2000 was not dispensed to someone or some people.

4. If the ATM has 100,000 in its ledger but the ATM still has 2000 cash in it, it still means the some one wasn't paid.

However, if the banker responsible for putting cash in the ATM is aware that the ATM registered successful debit of N2000 and didn't dispense it, if he pockets the N2000 while officially servicing the ATM, there is no record of the cash not being dispensed to the customer. The only proof is the CCTV footage which the Bank will never give the customer. As long as the ATM ledger and the cash left in the ATM balance, the bank will deny any claim of undispensed cash from the customer.

This is what is happening in this branch. It could be a possible intentional ATM sabotage.

It is not that easy to steal from customers at ATM and get away with it so most bank staff will not even harbour that thought unless they follow them from village. ATM keeps a thorough record of transactions in a journal. If a machine is good and functioning well, any dispense error will be captured on the journal regardless of whether cash counted or not. This can easily be confirmed from the journal and refunds made.

However, in the course of working with different ATM brands, I have seen malfunctions that can get an ATM confused as to whether cash was dispensed or not. A journal can capture something like 'Cash whereabouts unknown.'
There are also instances of partial dispense with will be difficult to reconcile (eg you requested for 10,000 but was only able to get 8,000 and the rest retracted by the machine.

When a claim is made for dispense error, journal records are checked. If transaction was recorded as unsuccessful and and there is a credit in the ATM ledger with a corresponding debit into customer's account, a reversal is initiated.

The surest way of establishing dispense errors is through regular (daily) reconciliation of the transactions. Banks are expected to do this daily and refund customers proactively. There is also a robust process for disputing and refunding failed transactions involving more than one bank (I wont go into details).

In your own case, when the machine started counting without stopping, the ATM custodian got a fault alert and went to check on the machine which is the right thing to do. The machine gave you back your card to allow the custodians attend to it and resolve the fault which is also the right thing (your card could also be trapped). Remember that for the machine to start counting in attempt to pay you, your account must have been debited with the corresponding entry passed to the ATM. This is supposed to be auto reversed in the event the machine is unable to dispense cash for whatever reason. However, auto-reversal sometimes fail to happen due to several possible technical issues. This where humans come in to settle these cases.

I advise you initiate another claim for dispense error, this time insist on footage if your claim is declined (it is your right). In the event the bank is unable to provide the footage (photo proof that cash was dispensed to you), they will have no choice than to refund you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by nedekid: 12:32am On Jul 15, 2021
keneryhark:
ask for the Atm CCTV footage to confirm withdrawal. simple
You said it all.
Ask for footage, it has happened to me twice and I got my money immediately.
Re: Fraud At First Bank ATM by Gratefulsoul202: 9:05pm On Feb 27, 2022
BeuHarry:

It is not that easy to steal from customers at ATM and get away with it so most bank staff will not even harbour that thought unless they follow them from village. ATM keeps a thorough record of transactions in a journal. If a machine is good and functioning well, any dispense error will be captured on the journal regardless of whether cash counted or not. This can easily be confirmed from the journal and refunds made.

However, in the course of working with different ATM brands, I have seen malfunctions that can get an ATM confused as to whether cash was dispensed or not. A journal can capture something like 'Cash whereabouts unknown.'
There are also instances of partial dispense with will be difficult to reconcile (eg you requested for 10,000 but was only able to get 8,000 and the rest retracted by the machine.

When a claim is made for dispense error, journal records are checked. If transaction was recorded as unsuccessful and and there is a credit in the ATM ledger with a corresponding debit into customer's account, a reversal is initiated.

The surest way of establishing dispense errors is through regular (daily) reconciliation of the transactions. Banks are expected to do this daily and refund customers proactively. There is also a robust process for disputing and refunding failed transactions involving more than one bank (I wont go into details).

In your own case, when the machine started counting without stopping, the ATM custodian got a fault alert and went to check on the machine which is the right thing to do. The machine gave you back your card to allow the custodians attend to it and resolve the fault which is also the right thing (your card could also be trapped). Remember that for the machine to start counting in attempt to pay you, your account must have been debited with the corresponding entry passed to the ATM. This is supposed to be auto reversed in the event the machine is unable to dispense cash for whatever reason. However, auto-reversal sometimes fail to happen due to several possible technical issues. This where humans come in to settle these cases.

I advise you initiate another claim for dispense error, this time insist on footage if your claim is declined (it is your right). In the event the bank is unable to provide the footage (photo proof that cash was dispensed to you), they will have no choice than to refund you.
first bank just debited me today 46k and it failed on palm pay have been waiting for reversal since

(1) (Reply)

Lpo Financing / Foreign Catfish Feed For Sale- 45 % Crude Protein. / Akingbola Loses Bid To Stop Sale Of Intercontinental Bank .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.