Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb (1128 Views)

We Summoned The Spirit Of Ooni Aderemi From His Tomb - Ooni Of Ife / The Egyptian Mummy That Caused Numerous Death Of Archaeologists / Ancient Egyptian Queens That Resemble Yoruba Women And Igbo Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by thaoriginator: 1:02am On Oct 07, 2020
‘White people’ slammed for opening ancient Egyptian mummy tomb
By Rob Bailey-Millado

October 6, 2020 | 9:47am

Social-media watchdogs are slamming “white people” for unearthing a 2,500-year-old mummy from its tomb in the sprawling Saqqara necropolis of Egypt.

Archeologists discovered 59 coffins belonging to Egyptian priests and officials from the 26th dynasty in August south of Cairo — and they went on display Saturday. They were buried in three 30- to 40-foot shafts, along with 28 statues of the ancient Egyptian god Seker, Reuters reported.

One tomb was opened in front of reporters to reveal the mummy inside, the Associated Press reported. A video of the act has now gone viral with nearly 14 million views on Twitter as of Tuesday morning.

Some Twitter critics were not impressed.

“We’re trained very early on to think that mummies and tombs need unearthing, but its kind of sad that even in death POC can’t escape the prying and opportunistic advances of white people,” wrote one commenter in a Twitter thread with nearly 150,000 likes and thousands of retweets and comments. “Idk if Im talking out my ass but something about this feels evil. When I die, keep white people away from me.”

Another Twitter user agreed: “It’s super disrespectful because the entire reason they were buried in these was so they could be guided to the afterlife and we were kinda just like haha no.”

Yet another outraged viewer commented that “It’s even worse than that. They believed that your afterlife only lasted as long as your body does. That’s why they went to all the trouble of mummification in the first place. So this is more than just disrespectful, it’s the equivalent of ripping someone out of heaven.”

However, the angry online masses seemed clueless that the archaeological team behind the discovery was actually of Egyptian heritage. They launched their dig amid the 11 pyramids of Saqqara in 2018. Prior discoveries included a cache of mummified lions, cats and crocodiles.

The coffins — hailing from the Pharaonic Late Period (664-525 B.C.) — were in pristine condition thanks to a protective seal that preserved them over the centuries, Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Reuters.

The mission will continue opening the coffins and studying their contents before their eventual display at the Grand Egyptian Museum, expected to open next year, Waziri said.

Watch video on the link below

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/10/06/white-people-slammed-for-opening-ancient-egyptian-mummy-tomb/amp/

Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by Saig: 1:15am On Oct 07, 2020
I don't know what those guys are looking for. what's so special about opening coffins of people who are sleeping more like in generationz to com will start opening their own tombs sad
Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by berbs: 1:41am On Oct 07, 2020
Wow. Reminds me of The Mummy movie.

1 Like

Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by Bossose(m): 2:28am On Oct 07, 2020
The quest for knowledge is not bad but I think the tradition of ancient Egypt should be respected and those mummies left in their tombs.

1 Like

Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by thaoriginator: 2:29am On Oct 07, 2020
Saig:
I don't know what those guys are looking for. what's so special about opening coffins of people who are sleeping more like in generationz to com will start opening their own tombs sad
Na oversabi dey worry dem! Dem nuh wan allow our ancestors rest. They jealous, they badly want to be US!

1 Like

Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by thaoriginator: 2:30am On Oct 07, 2020
Bossose:
The quest for knowledge is not bad but I think the tradition of ancient Egypt should be respected and those mummies left in their tombs.
All in the name of discovery! undecided
Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by Nobody: 5:02am On Oct 07, 2020
Abeg we don't need another PLAGUE of EGYPT ooo
This year don WASTE already..

I pity Ladies wey receive prophecy concerning MARRIAGE this year...
With the way these mummies are being exhumed, WAHALA go burst again.....
Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by illicit(m): 10:36pm On Dec 11, 2020
Why bother dead people
Re: White People’ Slammed For Opening Ancient Egyptian Mummy Tomb by BanevsJoker(m): 7:12pm On May 19, 2021
The Egyptians of today are impostors. They are Arabs who wiped out the indigenous population through Jihad. So I'm not surprised that they care so little about Egyptian culture.

(1) (Reply)

Dimka: A Teacher We Must Learn From / Teacher Sorry For Binding Girls In Slavery Lesson / Imagine You Were This Dog (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.