Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,802 members, 7,956,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:44 PM

Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration (1236 Views)

Man Lies On The Ground For Akpabio At The Airport (Photos) / Heavy Knocks For Buhari’s Anti-corruption War - Punch / Diamond Bank Loan Not In Akpabio’s Administration – IPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by LagosBoy1: 9:36am On Mar 04, 2011
Akwa-Ibom ‘Child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration As Clampdown Of Activists Continues

Posted: March 3, 2011 - 19:37

By SaharaReporters, New York
Embarrassing moments have continued at the Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Child Witchcraft Accusations set up by Governor Godswill Akpabio in November 2010 to probe the child witch syndrome in the state.

Mr. Ekemini Udo, a witness who appeared before the Commission on Thursday, lamented the failure of the Ministry of Women Affairs in its handling of the abandoned children in its custody, and called for the establishment of a commission instead.

He said that the number of children in the custody of the ministry currently put at 178 was grossly understated, given the thousands of children currently roaming the streets in the state.

Udo was appearing to testify on the contents of a Memorandum he submitted to the panel. He argued that rather than clamp down on privately run shelters and orphanages in the state, the Akwa Ibom Government should close ranks and end the face-off in the overall interest of the children in Akwa Ibom state.

It will be recalled that, as reported by SaharaReporters last week, Mrs Eunice Thomas, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Welfare addressed a press conference in a desperate face-saving measure on the panel’s chiding of her Ministry with regard to the welfare of abandoned children.

The Panel had criticized the carefree attitude of Ministry staff which has led to the escape of children from the government run shelter thrice in the recent past.

The comments of the panel irked Mrs Thomas, who has reportedly been running the affairs of the ministry as if it were her personal estate.

While the three Directors responsible for Child Welfare, Social Welfare and Vulnerable Children had testified under oath told the Panel in public that there was no specific budget for the abandoned children in their custody, Mrs Thomas, without the benefit of relevant evidence, accused ‘unregistered’ orphanages of ‘attacking’ the ministry.

At the press conference attended largely by docile ‘yes men’ Akwa Ibom correspondents, the Commissioner claimed that there was a quarterly budget of N10 million for children in the state, including 178 in the three shelters run by the ministry.

Curiously, the reporters did not ask why the three directors, who are supposed to be implementers of government policy on child welfare, were ignorant of the said budget.

The Commissioner reportedly announced that her Ministry had concluded plans to shut down the ‘unregistered care givers’ whom she accused of soliciting donations from foreign donors for selfish ends.

Governor Akpabio had last year threatened that ‘heads will roll’ when he reacted to a CNN report on the child witch syndrome and accused child rights activists in the state of fraud.

The re-echoing of Akpabio’s earlier threat however was seen by observers as a confirmation of the government’s agenda in setting up the six member judicial panel to arrive at a pre-determined recommendation.

The panelists, according to SaharaReporters sources, have frowned at the resort to a press conference by the Commissioner to discredit the opinion of the panel on her ministry’s performance. As a result, a witness summons has been issued on the commissioner to appear before the panel on 9th March, 2011.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/akwa-ibom-%E2%80%98child-witches%E2%80%99-more-knocks-akpabio%E2%80%99s-administration-clampdown-activists-continu
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by BabaTony: 10:06am On Mar 04, 2011
Sahara Reporters, hmm that crapy media house, i don't believe anything those ppl say. stupid yellow journalism angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by texazzpete(m): 1:46pm On Mar 04, 2011
BabaTony:

Sahara Reporters, hmm that crapy media house, i don't believe anything those ppl say. silly yellow journalism angry angry angry angry angry

The killing of children in Akwa Ibom has been highlighted in several foreign news outlets several times. Whatever your opinion of Saharareporters is, this is a reality in Akwa Ibom state.
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by BabaTony: 2:15pm On Mar 04, 2011
t
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by BabaTony: 2:16pm On Mar 04, 2011
Yes, i agree, there was the Child molestation issue one, time, but the way Sahara reporters report their stories, they don't show any form of professionalism, what do you say to a statement like this:

At the press conference attended largely by docile ‘yes men’ Akwa Ibom correspondents, the Commissioner claimed that there was a quarterly budget of N10 million for children in the state, including 178 in the three shelters run by the ministry.

What does sahara reporters mean by docile "yes men" akwa ibom correpondences

This statement can NEVER come out of professional media houses like, vanguard, guardian, punch, STV, AIT, etc

I know what i'm saying, journalism is not done the way sahara reporters do it. They just disgust me. i am serious.
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:04pm On Mar 04, 2011
BabaTony:

Yes, i agree, there was the Child molestation issue one, time, but the way Sahara reporters report their stories, they don't show any form of professionalism, what do you say to a statement like this:

What does sahara reporters mean by docile "yes men" akwa ibom correpondences

This statement can NEVER come out of professional media houses like, vanguard, guardian, punch, STV, AIT, etc

I know what i'm saying, journalism is not done the way sahara reporters do it. They just disgust me. i am serious.

@babatony which is more important to you, the fact that persecution of child-witches in Akwa-ibom state is rampant and Godswill is incompetent (at best) at dealing with the situation or you just have a style you want Sahara Reporters to report the Story, perhaps not call them child witches but spiritual miscreants grin

How Sahara Reporters report a story does not discount the FACT that it happened Period.Point.Blank.
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by BabaTony: 3:15pm On Mar 04, 2011
@lagerwhenindoubt
It doesnt change the FACT that sahara reporters practices yellow journalism. I don't have a personal style of reporting news but there are laid down international professional ethics for journalism (you know what i'm talking about), and sahara reporters have fallen short of it. Period!!!!!

As for the child witch saga in the state and how akapbio did not manage it well, i have one question for you, have you visited akwa Ibom before? if no, the discussion ends here!!!!! but if yes, where in akwa ibom and when?
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 04, 2011
sharap dia the man is the best governor in nigeria

wikileaks and obj said so

export the man to lagos so we can deal with our on witches
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:34pm On Mar 04, 2011
BabaTony:

@lagerwhenindoubt
It doesnt change the FACT that sahara reporters practices yellow journalism. I don't have a personal style of reporting news but there are laid down international professional ethics for journalism (you know what i'm talking about), and sahara reporters have fallen short of it. Period!!!!!

As for the child witch saga in the state and how akapbio did not manage it well, i have one question for you, have you visited akwa Ibom before? if no, the discussion ends here!!!!! but if yes, where in akwa ibom and when?

You miss my point. If a madman says "hey look up, it looks like it is going to rain". if the observation is true it does not make the statement invalid just because he is a madman.

I have been to akwa ibom state I visit the state December for the last 2 yrs. I go Upenekang Ibuno Township, Eket.

How does that begin or end the discussion.? My question is,

1: Are children being persecuted (tortured and starved) and branded as Witches in Akwa-ibom state?
2: What has the Government of Akwa-Ibom done about it.
3: Where is this on the priority of Godswill Government? (high, medium, low or zero)

Do you believe that children can be witches while fully grown adult witches roam free and run for political positions in our democracy (not a trick question) smiley
Re: Akwa-ibom ‘child Witches’: More Knocks For Akpabio’s Administration by CarlyH: 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2011
If you're concerned about the issues of child witchcraft accusations in Akwa Ibom, please take a moment to visit the Prevent Abuse of Children Today (PACT) website: www.makeapact.org

PACT is a global campaign established by the UK-based child rights charity, Stepping Stones Nigeria and their Nigerian partner organisations.  The aim of PACT is to bring long-term positive social change to vulnerable children in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, particularly those at risk of witchcraft accusations, abuse and trafficking.
With high levels of malnutrition, poverty, persistent violent conflicts and disease, increasing numbers of children in the Niger Delta are being forced to the streets putting them at risk of abuse, rape and trafficking.

Witchcraft is often seen as the source of problems within Nigerian society with vulnerable children being the group most at risk of witchcraft accusations. Children stigmatised as witches face abandonment by their families and communities, torture, public humiliation, disgrace and even murder. 

To help end this terrible abuse we urge you to stand with us to Prevent Abuse of Children Today.  There are lots of ways for you to get involved with the campaign, in particular signing our PACT, holding events and writing letters.  Visit our website www.makeapact.org to sign the PACT and help us spread the word.

Together, we are fighting for a time when all children in the Niger Delta are free from physical, sexual, emotional and spiritual abuse and their rights are fully upheld. With your help, we can make this vision a reality.

For more information about the PACT campaign please visit www.makeapact.org

To find out more about Stepping Stones Nigeria, please visit www.steppingstonesnigeria.org

(1) (Reply)

Http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/18930-6-people-killed-34-cattle-rustle-in-p / Nigeria To Take Bertie Ahern As Their New Economic Adviser / Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso Of Pdp Declared Winner Of Kano Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.