Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? (481 Views)

What Type Of App Or Software Can One Use To Learn Java Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 8:41am On Oct 08, 2020
With so many businesses looking to Apps and IT to build a robust platform for their day to day transactions, developers have become busier.

While most of them, use the software market as a source of their product, other companies build theirs from scratch.

When you build from scratch, you are sure that all the needs and nodges of your business will be factored in. This is your only hope of getting an App that answers to the unique needs of your business

If you source yours from the software market, you must bear the pain of staying limited, as your needs, which are bound to change over time, will always be met by a stiff App, which can't adjust itself to the new realities of your business.

We encourage forward looking businesses to build their own software from scratch,

Here, I present to you a scathe app, which you can use for you cooperative business.

http://thriftplus.pythonanywhere.com

Mathew

Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 08, 2020
Just thinking. You said if you make yours you'd be sure that it does what you want it to do. How about programming languages? Did you use an existing one? Or you used one already built? How about Productivity suites like Microsoft Office? Did you also build the one you use? I don't have a problem against your business or Software. I just feel your choice of words are somewhat inappropriate.
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 2:37am On Oct 10, 2020
airsaylongcom:
Just thinking. You said if you make yours you'd be sure that it does what you want it to do. How about programming languages? Did you use an existing one? Or you used one already built? How about Productivity suites like Microsoft Office? Did you also build the one you use? I don't have a problem against your business or Software. I just feel your choice of words are somewhat inappropriate.

Thank you for your critique, but I was looking at your response and looking out for the "inappropriate words" but could not find one. You may point those expressions you described in your words so we get to "look at them " again

Then,

Yes, if you build from scratch, the logic is as intended.

We use the programming language of choice of the client

We won't be needing the existing one, since we building from scratch

Its very dangerous, "editing" other peoples codebase. The reason is obvious.

We don't build apps like Microsoft office

Thank you really appreciate
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 10, 2020
So you seemed to have missed the point. My point is that while building from scratch is good and justifiable, buying an existing solution is equally as good if not better. So let's assume you build a customer solution (which most likely you won't release the code to the buyer) what happens if GOD FORBID you die? Or you can't continue because Facebook has hired you. Won't the client have to request for your code for someone else to work on? An off the shelf solution eliminates this as there is a community that will be supporting it.

You talked about the programming language. I really don't care what language is used. My question was more around you using an already built software (the programming Language) instead of you building a new programming language that will be used to develop the client's solution. Programming languages by themselves are software so if you say buying (or using) an existing solution isn't ideal them it can be inferred that you would build a new programming language that you will use to build the client's solution. Talking about using any language of the clients choice, if the client asked you to use LISP to build a webapp are you saying you would?

Loads of Banks use software like Finacle to manage their core banking operations. Given your position, are you saying each bank should build from scratch?

With Microsoft Office, it was a generic example of a widely used software. Are you saying a business that needs a word processor should build from scratch?

My real point is that you cannot seat down and categorically say it is better to build rather than buy. It depends on what the solution is needed for and whether the cost to build will be justifiable.

Note that I am not against you building from scratch. My point is that you cannot make a blanket statement that building is better. Google Chrome is perhaps one of, if not THE most widely used Web browsers. But it was built from Chromium with modifications. People often argue that it is better to build because it takes sometime to understand someone else's code which can be ameliorated with proper comments.

I say, before building, evaluate existing solutions and IF they don't meet specific requirements then you can customise.

Good luck in your business endeavour. I am fully aware that it can be difficult pushing Software so I appreciate your courage to decide to build
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 10, 2020
Talking about your cooperative management solution I'm aware that loads of software are out there that have drawn from the experiences of several users. Any cooperative thay hopes to be in business for long needs to leverage on what is out there and tweak it to meet their specific needs.
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Bcpump: 9:25am On Oct 11, 2020
airsaylongcom:
So you seemed to have missed the point. My point is that while building from scratch is good and justifiable, buying an existing solution is equally as good if not better. So let's assume you build a customer solution (which most likely you won't release the code to the buyer) what happens if GOD FORBID you die? Or you can't continue because Facebook has hired you. Won't the client have to request for your code for someone else to work on? An off the shelf solution eliminates this as there is a community that will be supporting it.

You talked about the programming language. I really don't care what language is used. My question was more around you using an already built software (the programming Language) instead of you building a new programming language that will be used to develop the client's solution. Programming languages by themselves are software so if you say buying (or using) an existing solution isn't ideal them it can be inferred that you would build a new programming language that you will use to build the client's solution. Talking about using any language of the clients choice, if the client asked you to use LISP to build a webapp are you saying you would?

Loads of Banks use software like Finacle to manage their core banking operations. Given your position, are you saying each bank should build from scratch?

With Microsoft Office, it was a generic example of a widely used software. Are you saying a business that needs a word processor should build from scratch?

My real point is that you cannot seat down and categorically say it is better to build rather than buy. It depends on what the solution is needed for and whether the cost to build will be justifiable.

Note that I am not against you building from scratch. My point is that you cannot make a blanket statement that building is better. Google Chrome is perhaps one of, if not THE most widely used Web browsers. But it was built from Chromium with modifications. People often argue that it is better to build because it takes sometime to understand someone else's code which can be ameliorated with proper comments.

I say, before building, evaluate existing solutions and IF they don't meet specific requirements then you can customise.

Good luck in your business endeavour. I am fully aware that it can be difficult pushing Software so I appreciate your courage to decide to build

wow. Thanks for explaining it as simple as this. I cannot agree less with the points raised in the first paragraph. Any code that is not open, or app built on a limited access platform is already designed for non-continuity

OP, you did not use the right words in marketing this.
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 12:06am On Oct 12, 2020
Bcpump:

wow. Thanks for explaining it as simple as this. I cannot agree less with the points raised in the first paragraph. Any code that is not open, or app built on a limited access platform is already designed for non-continuity

OP, you did not use the right words in marketing this.

So Facebook is open source

Microsoft is also open source

Stop all this misinformation pls
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 12:12am On Oct 12, 2020
airsaylongcom:

Have you ever asked mark zucky for the source code to his Fb, WA,insta, etc app

Have u ever asked bill gates for source code to their products

And I'm checking to see if you truly understand the mean to the term "source code"

Do u remember how much Facebook bought Instagram? Google it! That's how cheap source code can cost
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 12, 2020
1saed:

Have you ever asked mark zucky for the source code to his Fb, WA,insta, etc app

Have u ever asked bill gates for source code to their products

And I'm checking to see if you truly understand the mean to the term "source code"

Do u remember how much Facebook bought Instagram? Google it! That's how cheap source code can cost

So taking you on the last point. Why did Facebook "buy" Instagram? Why didn't they build from scratch their own?

For long periods Microsoft kept their codes proprietary. Now with open source about to eliminate them they quickly made SQL server available for Linux. Nobody is saying source code is cheap. My point is a cost-benefit analysis has to be done to determine whether one should built or buy and not because "you are sure that all the needs and nodges of your business will be factored in"

Software by itself is a means to an end. No one buys software because it is beautiful or what not. Businesses acquire software based on what it can do for them. So if a commercially available off-the-shelf one meets the need then there'd be no need to build one.from scratch.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2020
airsaylongcom:

*So taking you on the last point. Why did Facebook "buy" Instagram? Why didn't they build from scratch their own?*

For long periods Microsoft kept their codes proprietary. Now with open source about to eliminate them they quickly made SQL server available for Linux. Nobody is saying source code is cheap. My point is a cost-benefit analysis has to be done to determine whether one should built or buy and not because "you are sure that all the needs and nodges of your business will be factored in"

Software by itself is a means to an end. No one buys software because it is beautiful or what not. Businesses acquire software based on what it can do for them. So if a commercially available off-the-shelf one meets the need then there'd be no need to build one.from scratch.

Where did u read that I said " why did FB buy Insta" can u see how u managed to twist my points

Microsoft " quickly made SQL server available for Linux" so to you that is open source or to you it means loosing ( or giving) proprietary right.

I think you haven't really read my lines well enough, to bring you to the position of putting up a sensible conversation and exchange of ideas. You are only keen in telling us that u have read history of tech companies, without understanding what u read.
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 10:21am On Oct 12, 2020
airsaylongcom:

So taking you on the last point. Why did Facebook "buy" Instagram? Why didn't they build from scratch their own?

You only know how to "talk" and deviate from the koko of an issue

Tell us what app you developed, from Start to finish, which sold like crazy and then give us the source code, since you don't know what open source means.

You all behave hypothetically

Go and ask mark for the source codes to FB and all their social media app,

Ask Microsoft to release to you source codes to all their product., and put them up for download

You still don't understand what open source means bro, until you do......
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 12, 2020
1saed:

You only know how to "talk" and deviate from the koko of an issue

Tell us what app you developed, from Start to finish, which sold like crazy and then give us the source code, since you don't know what open source means.

You all behave hypothetically

Go and ask mark for the source codes to FB and all their social media app,

Ask Microsoft to release to you source codes to all their product., and put them up for download

You still don't understand what open source means bro, until you do......

LOL...issokay. Continue on your build over buy. As a builder
Re: What Type Of App Runs Your Cooperative? by 1saed: 11:14am On Oct 12, 2020
airsaylongcom:

LOL...issokay. Continue on your build over buy. As a builder

Yes

(1) (Reply)

Should I Learn For Backend Web Development : Python, Php , Javascript And Ruby / Mobile App Developer Needed / 5 Best Youtube Channels To Learn Programing Wit Full Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.