Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing (316 Views)

Short Story: First School Day May Be The Last / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing by alutaola(m): 8:51am On Oct 08, 2020
Thanks 1
All over the world, a new born baby is a source of joy
But here, God help the mother to bear the shame, if it is not a boy
It a man world, as the women are bound by the tradition and culture to the men whims
Her husband is dead, it her fault, there is no food in the house, it her fault
All the decisions affecting the family is made by the man
What can she do, she is to be seen and not heard
But is there hope for the girl child in this part of the world, the answer lies with the future generation.

Farida felt her dreams and aspirations crashing down, when her father, a respected mallam in the community call her to deliver the dreadful news
Farida he called in his deep baritone voice
Yes baba, half-running, you dare not answer when her dad calls
Prepare yourself my child, you are getting marry next month to alhaji ISA the popular businessman
Baba, I am only 15, was all she could mutter amid her sobs as her father walk out on her,
How dare her father! She was only 15, but truth be told, she saw this coming and has always pray secretly for her dad to be different. She has seen girls of her age, forcefully married off to men far older than then, even in some cases, old enough to be their father.
She look to her mother for support, but alas what can she do, in their culture women are to be seen but not heard. Even her mother was not spared, as the story goes, she was marry off to a close family friend by her father at the age of 12 but was free as the old man die before the union could be consummated.
She felt angry with herself, her people culture and traditions, and even more annoyed at her father, who despite being highly educated with a master degree to cap, still espoused the belief of marrying girls out at such an early age.

She was crying throughout the day, until her mind flash back to the conversation she and kemi, her best friend had with focal person from UNESCO. The girls were thrilled when they find out that the white woman, which they all call “Oyibo” due to her skin color was a doctor and her stories of how many times, she had saved accident victims and help deliver babies as a volunteer in the rural areas.
But alas Farida sigh, as she saw her friend kemi coming, smiling as usual at her from a distance
Ina Kwana, Kemi said giggling.
She has been dying to learn the Hausa language but due to the way she pronounce the words with her deep Yoruba accent, it would have elicit laughter from both of them. But Farida seems not to been in the mood to play nor even acknowledge her presence.
Ina Kwana Kemi repeated, tapping her leg
Kemi can I ask you a question
Sure, please go ahead, Kemi now feeling alarmed by her friend behavior
How come your family is different from mine, I mean your dad is a farmer, while your mother is the village headmistress but they seems more caring and civilized than mine.
Farida, Kemi began, the main difference between my family and yours is controlled by their worldview, which in turn is controlled by their cultural background. Am sure you know about culture, she pause, looking at he friend.
But still, must my parents follow norms made thousands of years ago in determining my life, I mean we are in the 21th century and all they care about is marriage.
Look my friend, I have little knowledge about how your culture works but in mine, we are expected to obey our parents and elders. However we are to be independent sometimes and I would never obey any parent that want to force me to do anything against my will, not to talk about marriage.
But what do you suggest I do. Farida face lit up, as if her friend word will do the magic and wipe away her worries.
I would suggest we visit Mrs Hauwa, the old woman down the street.
But Farida was confused now, old Hauwa was the first woman to defy her parents wishes to marry as girl to the man chosen for her and for that she was punish for it. At first she struggle to find a husband after her college degree and when she did, she was unable to bear children as she was diagnosed with womb cancer. She was eventually divorced by her husband and shun by members of the community, her case was often cited as an example of what will happen to anyone who dare to disobey their parents.
Being forced to marry is bad, but the very thought of being ostracize from the community frightened her. But as if Kemi was reading her mind, she nudge her not to think about it and off they go.
Re: Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing by alutaola(m): 8:54am On Oct 08, 2020
suggestions on what I should use as the *title* is welcome.
any critique or mistake seen should be pointed out
more coming though
Re: Please Help Me To Review This Short Story. First Time Writing by cho25bc(f): 4:20am On Oct 09, 2020
Nice attempt,but you need to work on your punctuations and tenses. I see loads of punctuation issues there and mixing present tenses with past tenses.

(1) (Reply)

Read On This Page.........the World Is A Scam / #mondaymotivation – True Story Of A Writer / Poem: Patriot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.