Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,254 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue (346 Views)

Crocrodiles In America Came From Africa 11 Million Years Ago (Photos) / Giant Fish That Lived Around 380 Million Years Ago Found In Sahara Desert (Pix) / Africa’s Sahara ‘Most Dangerous Place On Earth’ 100 Million Years Ago (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue by SamJed(m): 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2020
So everytime I see a post on fp saying how scientist discovered bones or fossils that lived hundreds of millions of years ago, it sounds funny to me. So I decided to be logical about it and find out more about carbon dating. From google, carbon dating is using the properties of radio carbon to determine the age of something. So basically the scientist, dig up, and use the radio carbons to give an estimate.

Here are my reasons why I don't agree:

1. From a logical point of view, from year 1900 to year 2000 is 100 years. That means from year 1000 to year 2020 is 1,020 years. Multiplying this period times 100 will give us just over 10,000 years. Let's say that the scientists give the estimate as 2 million years, that means you still need to multiply that period by over 2,000 more years. This basically means that you need to multiply year 1000 to year 2020 by more than 12,000 times. What happened to evolution? What happened to different earth changes?

2. For you to make a comparison, you need to have the item you are making the comparison with. But scientist were not there during the period of this animals to get the items. So for you to see one and compare it with that of those days is quite flawed.

I don't doubt the efficacy of carbon dating, say to like 200 years ago. It's understandable but calling millions of years as an estimate is flawed and exaggerated.

What's your thought on the million year estimation

Seun lalasticlala
Re: My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 08, 2020
lol no comment. oyah na manage my own.
Re: My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue by MrBONE2(m): 6:27am On Oct 09, 2020
SamJed:
So everytime I see a post on fp saying how scientist discovered bones or fossils that lived hundreds of millions of years ago, it sounds funny to me. So I decided to be logical about it and find out more about carbon dating. From google, carbon dating is using the properties of radio carbon to determine the age of something. So basically the scientist, dig up, and use the radio carbons to give an estimate.

Here are my reasons why I don't agree:

1. From a logical point of view, from year 1900 to year 2000 is 100 years. That means from year 1000 to year 2020 is 1,020 years. Multiplying this period times 100 will give us just over 10,000 years. Let's say that the scientists give the estimate as 2 million years, that means you still need to multiply that period by over 2,000 more years. This basically means that you need to multiply year 1000 to year 2020 by more than 12,000 times. What happened to evolution? What happened to different earth changes?

2. For you to make a comparison, you need to have the item you are making the comparison with. But scientist were not there during the period of this animals to get the items. So for you to see one and compare it with that of those days is quite flawed.

I don't doubt the efficacy of carbon dating, say to like 200 years ago. It's understandable but calling millions of years as an estimate is flawed and exaggerated.

What's your thought on the million year estimation

Seun lalasticlala
cry

Re: My Opinion On The 'million Years' Estimation Issue by Enceladus(m): 6:35pm On Oct 09, 2020
Millions and billions of years are still in the range of carbon dating estimations. Like for example mars was dated to be around 4 billion years old an estimate that was consistent with the previously agreed age. A few hundreds of millions is really not too much.

(1) (Reply)

Crypto Traders & Investors In Nigeria , Come In. / America, China And Nigeria Are On The Same Level Technologically / Bookkeeper Near Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.