Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress (517 Views)

How Nigerian Customs Truncated My Progress / My Wife Refused To Block The Guy She Cheated With / When You Are Useless To My Progress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by Supreme145(m): 9:57am On Oct 10, 2020
Good morning everyone, some weeks ago I made a post here about some issues I was having, some well meaning nairalanders reached out to me and by his grace I'm a bit better now. A quick glance through most comments on FP topics depicts this forum as a place where tribalism reigns supreme but my encounters with some nairalanders changed that perspective. That singular post changed my life because it connected me to some wonderful people both home and abroad and none of them happened to come from my tribe (lol).

Now to the issue at hand, I'm a 28 year old student currently in my 300 level, I was rounding off 2nd semester exams when the pandemic/strike disrupted the academic calendar. Before my foray into education I was previously into business which later didn't turn out well hence my late entry into the university.

During the initial stage of the lockdown I stayed back in school to learn coding, it was going on well till my laptop crashed then I came back home. Thanks to some nairalanders I will soon start coding again, while I was idle I got a job offer to work as a security in a hotel with a salary of 15k, the following day a married friend of mine that I play football with told me that I'm free to come to his shop and stay for the time being till school resumes, I accepted his offer without thinking twice.

Just days into business and he was flabbergasted at the dexterity with which I handled business, you would think I have been doing business for ages, I remembered his wife telling me that I'm wasting away in school that business is written all over me and she wondered what pushed me to school in the first place. The man was so impressed that he made me two offers, the first being that he has ladies singlets in bulk that we sell 1k per piece in the shop but he will subsidize the price for me so I can take it to neighbouring cities and auction it off make my profit and return his capital.

The other deal was that he would open a branch for me and give me capital and we would reach an agreement on how to share the profit that I make during a designated period, I can start up my business anytime I deem fit. Now the only issue is my education because its not something I can do part time, I have to take one and leave the other.

I've been thinking hard because I got a similar offer from a nairalander based in Europe to run a business that he will fund while we split the profit, his own business is actually agriculture involving fishery, pig rearing etc. He's ready to sponsor my training and upkeep during the period and the farm is ready but locked up due to mismanagement from his former employees.

Do I quit school and take up one of this offers or do I finish up without any assurances that I will still get them when I'm done, I hate to admit this but my course statistics/computer science (ed) seems like a waste of time in a Nigerian university, the education part seems to be the only positive, stat and cmp are just jargons we're being taught, what they need is cram and pour. I learnt more learning programming on my own within 3months than the rubbish they've been teaching us for three years.

Please pardon my long epistle and typos.
Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by DaniDani(m): 10:06am On Oct 10, 2020
Do everything you can to complete your education while selling the ladies singlets during weekends. A day will come when you will need that certificate.

2 Likes

Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by tobechi74: 10:33am On Oct 10, 2020
Good
. The aim of school should be to improve your mindset and make you think critically. As long as you can do this, fine.you do no longer need education. Use your developed mindset to make money. You can get certificate later

https://tobechispeaks./2020/10/10/world-mental-health-day-are-we-mentally-free/
Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by flyingpig: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2020
Guy na one year remain.
If you finish this semester exam, straight up to final year. Few months to graduation. Why do you wanna waste a 3years effort? Business spirit won't leave you if you wait one more year, by then you're graduate. You're a born hustler and for that reason after school another opportunity will present itself. Please don't waste these 3years for nothing. You're almost done and by grace of God you'll meet another destiny changer when you are done by this time next year.

1 Like

Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by Supreme145(m): 11:14am On Oct 10, 2020
flyingpig:
Guy na one year remain.
If you finish this semester exam, straight up to final year. Few months to graduation. Why do you wanna waste a 3years effort? Business spirit won't leave you if you wait one more year, by then you're graduate. You're a born hustler and for that reason after school another opportunity will present itself. Please don't waste these 3years for nothing. You're almost done and by grace of God you'll meet another destiny changer when you are done by this time next year.

Thanks a lot bro, I have been thinking in that direction too

1 Like

Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by flyingpig: 11:19am On Oct 10, 2020
Supreme145:

Thanks a lot bro, I have been thinking in that direction too
please don't give up, cheer up God dey. Find means to run the business and school simultaneously, plead with your destiny helper to run the business in your city of study. So you can attend classes too. Encourage them your academics won't sabotage the business. Truth is anyone urging you to quit your academics to run his business doesn't love you. If the business goes south nko? It folds, you also lose your academic investment of 3years. Abegg! Combine the two, run am in the same city but never leave a school of 3years old. You're too close to graduation. Mind you after your second semester exams, no more break, straight into resumption of year 4 first semester. No thanks to all the months wasted to ASUU strike. So you can be assured one year from now you should be dropping your pen for life!
Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by Omihanifa: 4:23pm On Feb 07, 2021
Bro kindly check your email, we need to talk as regards your latest topic
Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by Omihanifa: 7:38pm On Feb 07, 2021
Check your mail bro have just replied you
Re: School Seems To Be A Stumbling Block To My Progress by Supreme145(m): 8:01pm On Feb 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
Check your mail bro have just replied you
Alright man

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Gone To Separate Fight And You Ended Up Been Beaten? / Okirika Dinner Gown And Wedding Gown /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.