Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George (806 Views)

Afolabi Akanni Receives Heroic Welcome As He Arrives Ado-ekiti. Photos / The Untold Story Of Heroic Deeds In Gamboru Ngala (video) / Great Reception For Jonathan & Wife On Their Arrival At Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George by Thosen(m): 9:50am On Mar 05, 2011
Now the recent twist in obasanjo's views has got me thinking,  has he gotten so old that he feels he has nothing at stake in Nigeria anymore? Is he taking Nigeria for a joke? - says he's "proud" of Alao Akala; that he was "tricked" to attend Bode George's "thanksgiving". . .

Obasanjo condemns heroic reception for Bode George 
By Francis Falola, Abeokuta   
Saturday, 5 Mar 2011 

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, on Friday, condemned the recent heroic welcome organised for a leader of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olabode George.

George was, last Saturday, released from the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons after he completed a two-year jail term.

The lavish reception that was organised for him by the PDP and which was attended by Obasanjo had attracted criticisms from Nigerians.

But Obasanjo, in an interview with journalists in Abeokuta on Friday, shortly after a public lecture to mark his 74th anniversary, said that he was tricked to attend the reception organised for the ex-convict.

The former President, who had earlier in the interview denied his alleged “do-or-die” comment on the April polls, said, “You got it wrong again. I was not part of the celebration of (Bode) George’s release.

“And let us get a few things right. When (Bode) George went to prison, the first thing that I did was to find out from his lawyer what really went wrong. What the lawyer said was not what I found out eventually.

“Then, he (Bode George) sent a passionate message to me from prison, urging me to attend a family church thanksgiving and I believe that for whatever reason, if any family is giving thanks in the church or in the mosque and they invite me and I am able to go there, I will go, whether it is for marriage, for burial, house warming or christening a child. But when I got to the church, the atmosphere I found was more than a family affair.

“And I even took the opportunity to ask the state PDP chairman, ‘Is this a PDP affair?’

“And he told me it was not a PDP affair because I don’t see why the PDP, as a national party, as a party that is trying to form a government in Lagos State, as a party that formed the government at the national level and in at least 27 states in the country, should be celebrating criminality because whatever we may say, the reason Bode went to prison should be condemned by everybody and I have condemned it. He did not go to prison for a political offence.

“If he had been sent to prison for a political offence, then, he comes back and all his political associates may get round him and the PDP must do something noble and wholesome; but in this case, the PDP as a party must dissociate itself from celebrating criminality.

Obasanjo added, “When I asked the state chairman, he said, ‘You know Area Boys, they do hijack things lie this.’ But I believe if it is Area Boys, you leave it to the Area Boys and not to the PDP.

He denied the recent statement of “do-or-die” politics credited to him at President Goodluck Jonathan’s political rally in Lagos.

He said, “You see, people in the press, it must be either you are deliberately ignorant or misinformed or uneducated or mischievous. Whichever one, I think it is not good. I went to a campaign and I sang, ‘Lau erebe’…. (a Yoruba lyrical song).

“How can I vote and you steal my vote and you expect me to accept that? And you said that that is “do-or-die.” If you want to do it, go and do it; if you want to die, go and die. I stand by what I meant and what I said, that if I vote, my vote, my party’s votes must not be stolen.

“We had suffered it before. In 2003, the PDP won in Lagos and that was stolen. Now, PDP will not stand for a stolen election. They have moved from direct stealing to stealing through the judiciary and you said that I should accept that, aren’t you part of that, don’t you know that?”

He lamented the lingering political crisis in the PDP in Ogun State and expressed the hope that soon, the conflict would be resolved and all parties in the disputes would unite and work for PDP’s victory at the April polls.

In facilitating the rebuilding process in the party in Ogun, Obasanjo said that he had mandated the governorship candidate of the party in the state to institute a reconciliatory committee to unite all the members.

“I am the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the PDP. As the chairman, I am supposed to be the conscience of the party.

“Whatever is the rift, I am supposed to find an amicable settlement. I have done it in other states, why not in my state?

“I have told (Chief Tunji) Olurin to extend his hand of fellowship to other people. I have told him to set up a reconciliation committee even before the court ruled,” he stated.

On why he kept quiet in spite of the criticisms against him, especially from the political actors in the state, on the situation in Ogun, Obasanjo said he kept quiet or reacted according to biblical injunction.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110305829048
Re: Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George by 1025: 10:20am On Mar 05, 2011
old age comes with a lot of thing - mental instability inclusive.
if nigeria remains in the hands of these semi mad men, the disaster at the end will be more dangerious than biggest earth quake in the history of man.
if one follows obasanjo and his statements closely, u will easily find out that he is off and on. at his level and age, he is supposed to be at home recieving visitors instead of jumping arround from one b'day party to another. such man in a normal setting has nothing to prove and shld be seen once in a while.
who will believe that mandela after 27 yrs in prison cld only do a four yr term and say bye to politics. no wonder south africa, africa and the world at large has more than respect for such an unselfish man.
all we need as a ppl now is to do our best to get power out of pdp and allow them put their house in order.
why won't obasanjo tell nigerians that he was tricked to the occasssion when his brains are dull? why won't bode trick him when bode has graduated in his criminalities? how can we let these men who lie over everything be our leaders? what are the moral lessons of these show of shame between our so-called elders? what can young ppl learn from these white hair fools? sometimes, i think what such father can teach his children? why are such elders still living among us? where are the bombers of this country? how can pdp always tell us of bambs and bombing when non of these federal criminals are killed in the attacks? how come the bomb kill innocent citizens alone? even if these men are bullect proves, are they bomb prove too? well, i trust God for he is bigger than every big man.
Buhari/Bakare 2011 is the way forward. enough of this pdp trash.
Re: Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George by monkeyleg: 10:41am On Mar 05, 2011
Calls it a CELEBRATION OF CRIMINALITY, so even Aremu is seeing the light. See's his own Party as a CESSPIT of CRIMINALS
Re: Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George by Gbawe: 11:07am On Mar 05, 2011
1025:

old age comes with a lot of thing - mental instability inclusive.
if nigeria remains in the hands of these semi mad men, the disaster at the end will be more dangerious than biggest earth quake in the history of man.

Thank you !!! OBJ with his usual decietful nonsense and "Umoru are you alive" type cheap propaganda designed to decieve Nigerians . He joined Bode george's Party only to do a U-turn , after huge outcry, that he was decieved into joining a celebration of criminality he believed to be a "thanksgiving" . "Thanksgiving" for what? I don't know which is more comical i.e OBJ's silly U-turn or the notion that Nigerians are foolish enough to believe he was tricked into the welcome Party of a jailbird who was always one of his closest pal.
Re: Obasanjo Condemns Heroic Reception For Bode George by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 05, 2011
they call this "I was there, sugbon"

ie the "but" factor when "but" acts as a qualifier.

the interpretation may depend on the context, user and syntax.

grin

nigerian politicians sha.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Read This Comedy Writeup About Ewonbode George / Northern Voters Shatter Buhari's Presidential Hopes / Video Evidence Of Massive Rigging!(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.