Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,335 members, 7,957,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:52 PM

My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower (689 Views)

A Jesus Revolution In Iran? 75,000 Mosques Have Closed In The Islamic State. / A Man Wearing A Jesus Saves Tshirt At Mall Of America Was Ordered To Take It Off / The Miracle That Turned A Jihadist Into A Jesus Follower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 4:20am On Oct 11, 2020
Whenever we hear the word journey, our natural instinct assume it to be a physical movement from one place to another. My own journey was more mental than physical. It involved a gradual shift in my belief.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 4:20am On Oct 11, 2020
grew up in a 4 Catholic family. I attended cathceism and the block rosary and accepted whatever was fed into my ears . One teaching that kept troubling my heart was the story of Abraham obeying Gods’ directive to kill his son. I left the church a sadder person . I wondered If my dad would kill me If he were instructed to do so. I could not muster the courage to do ask him. I feared him more than a mouse feared a cat.I was convinced he would. I asked my mom .She avoided the question the first tine. I could sence the discomfort it caused her the second time.I learnt not to raise the question again

Things began to change the moment I began to read the Bible. I discovered more ethical issues. God servant instructing wild animals to devor children for mocking his bald head. I remembered my youngest brother had earlier mocked my granddad for having wrinkled face. My grand dad laughed at the boy . If he could wave such aside without getting angry,why would a prophet of God kill children for such? While I was battling with the best way to make sence of this? The story of God killing the man who tried to save the ark of the covenant disturbed my spirit. By now, you must have guessed that I have a phobia for violence and death.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 4:23am On Oct 11, 2020
The numerous death stories made me anxious that I stopped reading old testament and concentrated on new testament. The Gospel God was a God of Love, compassion and forgiveness.I found it impossible to reconcile the two. It is either they are two different gods or one God who repented . I prefer to go by my third explanation + MAN PERCEPTION OF GOD CHANGED OVER THE YEARS. The old testament toman perceived God the same way they perceived their elders- one to be obeyed blindly and feared. Jesus saw God as a friend to be loved and treated as equal to oneself . Jesus philosophy seemed to resonate with me.

As I studied further, I realized a variation in the teaching of Paul. Jesus seemed to break down patriarchy. Paul supported patriarchy. Jesus taught faith and works as requirement for salvation. Paul promoted only works. I am saddled with the same task of reconciling the two.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 4:25am On Oct 11, 2020
chose to stick with a mentor. It is easier than for a growing child to combine series of mentors and trying to find a middle line amidst the cobtrafiction. No two individual think exactly in the same way. ..Jesus is the mentor . . His philosophy is more humanistic.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by AntiChristian: 5:54am On Oct 11, 2020
But God does not change/repent na, does He?

tobechi74:
The numerous death stories made me anxious that I stopped reading old testament and concentrated on new testament. The Gospel God was a God of Love, compassion and forgiveness.I found it impossible to reconcile the two. It is either they are two different gods or one God who repented . I prefer to go by my third explanation + MAN PERCEPTION OF GOD CHANGED OVER THE YEARS. The old testament toman perceived God the same way they perceived their elders- one to be obeyed blindly and feared. Jesus saw God as a friend to be loved and treated as equal to oneself . Jesus philosophy seemed to resonate with me.

As I studied further, I realized a variation in the teaching of Paul. Jesus seemed to break down patriarchy. Paul supported patriarchy. Jesus taught faith and works as requirement for salvation. Paul promoted only works. I am saddled with the same task of reconciling the two.

I the LORD do not change
Malachi 3:6

Numbers 23:19
God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by IamWonderful: 6:18am On Oct 11, 2020
Ok
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by dingbang(m): 7:07am On Oct 11, 2020
St Paul, St Peter, neither St John is the way.

Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life, Nobody comes to the father except through me.

I think it is best if we ponder deeply on the teachings of Jesus. Although He instructed the apostles that the holy spirit will descend upon them and give them understanding and teachings, so that doesn't make their own teachings an error.

The most important thing is to listen to the one who is to come.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by psychalade: 10:08am On Oct 11, 2020
Good grin
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 8:14pm On Oct 12, 2020
AntiChristian:

I the LORD do not change

God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind.

Man perception of God changed over the years .

1 Like

Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkiee: 8:20pm On Oct 12, 2020
tobechi74:
You skirted the question posed.

God does not Change. You posted that the Old Testament idea of God does not agree with you, so instead you chose to go with the New Testament stories of Jesus Christ, ignoring the God of the Old testament, why?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by delkuf(m): 8:46pm On Oct 12, 2020
AntiChristian:

I the LORD do not change

The guy said man's perception change about God. he didn't say God changed. I believe you can fathom between the two

1 Like

Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 9:26am On Oct 13, 2020
Kobojunkiee:

God does not Change. You posted that the Old Testament idea of God does not agree with you, so instead you chose to go with the New Testament stories of Jesus Christ, ignoring the God of the Old testament, why?
A 3 year old dad thinks his dad is the wisest, strongest man in the world who can beat up everybody. As l time passes, he withnesses a tiny mosquito bite his dad to illness. He changes his theory. My dad is no longer the strongest.
Later, his dad looses money to MMM, THen he realized his dad is not as smart as he thought.

Did his dad change all this while? No, his belief about his dad changed. Religion is an / change evolution of man idea, belief about the creator(s)

2 Likes

Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 9:27am On Oct 13, 2020
delkuf:
The guy said man's perception change about God. he didn't say God changed. I believe you can fathom between the two
. Thanks for understanding.I thought I made it simpler enough
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkie: 6:27pm On Oct 13, 2020
tobechi74:
A 3 year old dad thinks his dad is the wisest, strongest man in the world who can beat up everybody. As l time passes, he withnesses a tiny mosquito bite his dad to illness. He changes his theory. My dad is no longer the strongest.
Later, his dad looses money to MMM, THen he realized his dad is not as smart as he thought.

Did his dad change all this while? No, his belief about his dad changed. Religion is an / change evolution of man idea, belief about the creator(s)
You are still not responding to what was asked you. We are not here discussing religion here. You created this thread to explain your own views and idea about the person of God, not what others see, remember? Below is what you posted
tobechi74:
Does the comment in bold not reflect your own belief in a difference between the God of Old Testament and the New Testament?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by MuttleyLaff: 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2020
tobechi74:

AntiChristian:

I the LORD do not change
- Malachi 3:6

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever".
tobechi74:

Kobojunkiee:

tobechi74:

tobechi74 , fyi, religion that is true, pure and one is God finds no fault in (i.e. meaning, religion that is faultless as in meaning has no flaws et cetera) is not "an/change evolution of man idea, belief about the creator(s)" sic
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kobojunkie:
You are still not responding to what was asked you. We are not here discussing religion here. You created this thread to explain your own views and idea about the person of God, not what others see, remember? Below is what you posted

Does the comment in bold not reflect your own belief in a difference between the God of Old Testament and the New Testament?
Religion is man attempt to understand God . God is static. Whom we think God is has changed
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkie: 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2020
tobechi74:
Religion is man attempt to understand God . God is static. Whom we think God is has changed
Religion? What has religion to do with your personal views of the God of the Old testament being different from the God of the New Testament?

Do you, even now, believe that the God of the Old Testament is different from the God of the New Testament? A simple yes or no will suffice!
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by sonmvayina(m): 10:18pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kobojunkie:
Religion? What has religion to do with your personal views of the God of the Old testament being different from the God of the New Testament?

Do you, even now, believe that the God of the Old Testament is different from the God of the New Testament? A simple yes or no will suffice!

If I may..God in the old testament is consciousness personified...while in the new testament is portrayed as a Jewish man and a genie up in the sky that grants wishes..
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2020
[quote author=Kobojunkie post=94916124] Religion? What has religion to do with your personal views of the God of the Old testament being different from the God of the New Testament?

Do you, even now, believe that the God of the Old Testament is different from the God of the New Testament? A simple yes or no will suffice![/quote

God is static. Does not change.

I remember when ancient men thought the Earth was flat and modern man said Earth is round. Does it mean the ancient man Earth is different from modern man Earth?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2020
sonmvayina:
If I may..God in the old testament is consciousness personified...while in the new testament is portrayed as a Jewish man and a genie up in the sky that grants wishes..
The God of the old testament did not change His mind in the New Testament. He is exactly the same God.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkie: 10:32pm On Oct 13, 2020
tobechi74:
God is static. Does not change.
I remember when ancient men thought the Earth was flat and modern man said Earth is round. Does it mean the ancient man Earth is different from modern man Earth?
We are humans, known to say one thing yet believe another.
tobechi74:

The comment above no longer holds true for you?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by MuttleyLaff: 10:50pm On Oct 13, 2020
tobechi74:
Religion is man attempt to understand God. God is static. Whom we think God is has changed
Please give to the best of your understanding, knowledge and theology your answers to the following, easy, simple, direct, innocent, harmless, point blank and straightforward questions:
1/ In one or two sentences, make it three if you have, what is the biblical meaning of religion?
2/ Give two to three examples or demonstration of what question #1 above, asked what biblical religion is
3/ Give bible verses to that clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt, that supports your answers in
4/ Say ONE word, that captures the core essence of what biblical religion is about
5/ If you claim that "Religion is man attempt to understand God ..." sic, then what is the difference between religion and theology?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by sonmvayina(m): 11:08pm On Oct 13, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The God of the old testament did not change His mind in the New Testament. He is exactly the same God.

Who are you patronizing.?

God is consciousness personified..not a man or a human being...
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by Kobojunkie: 11:15pm On Oct 13, 2020
sonmvayina:
Who are you patronizing.?
God is consciousness personified..not a man or a human being...
The topic is in regards to the God of the Bible. Your personal ideas about God are yours to have, but there is no need to distract from the topic here.
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by sonmvayina(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The topic is in regards to the God of the Bible. Your personal ideas about God are yours to have, but there is no need to distract from the topic here.

So what or who is the writers of the bible calling God ?
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 9:59pm On Oct 17, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Please give to the best of your understanding, knowledge and theology your answers to the following, easy, simple, direct, innocent, harmless, point blank and straightforward questions:
1/ In one or two sentences, make it three if you have, what is the biblical meaning of religion?
2/ Give two to three examples or demonstration of what question #1 above, asked what biblical religion is
3/ Give bible verses to that clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or doubt, that supports your answers in
4/ Say ONE word, that captures the core essence of what biblical religion is about
5/ If you claim that "Religion is man attempt to understand God ..." sic, then what is the difference between religion and theology?
This one pass Jamb Question.

1) Bible never mentioned religion so 1-3 are off

4) in one wori- impossible. Not even one paragraph.

5) Religion is culturally dependent while theology is academically based
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by MuttleyLaff: 10:10pm On Oct 17, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

tobechi74:
This one pass Jamb Question.
You call these five easy, simple, direct, innocent, harmless, point blank and straightforward kindergarten questions "This one pass Jamb Question". Na wa ooo

tobechi74:
1) Bible never mentioned religion so 1-3 are off
[img]https://s5/images/sourcecfa79666e8110220.gif[/img]
=>(check) x 0/5
It's alright that you have never come across the word religion in the Bible. No problem, but go look up James 1:27 for starters.

tobechi74:
4) in one wori- impossible. Not even one paragraph.
=>(check) x 0/5
Compassion, in one word, is a start for a correct and good answer

tobechi74:
5) Religion is culturally dependent while theology is academically based
=>(check) ✓ 2.75/5
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 7:54am On Dec 06, 2020
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 3:38am On Dec 20, 2020
In summary, reading the Bible alone leads one away from Christian Religion
Re: My Journey From a Bible Believer To A Jesus Follower by tobechi74: 10:01am On Jan 31, 2021
True

(1) (Reply)

Doctor Shot To Death After Singing Amazing Grace / ⭐⭐⭐ Download Powerful Christian Messages, eBooks & Songs For FREE (Updated) / Age Of Aquarius: Astrological Predictions For A New Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.