Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption (241 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts A Journalist In Calabar During Press Conference (Video) / Obasanjo Arrives In Zimbabwe For The Burial Of Robert Mugabe (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by RandomAfrican1: 6:19am On Oct 12, 2020

A journalist in Zimbabwe has revealed how the government of President Emmerson Mnangagwa had him jailed for a month for performing a civil and honorable duty as a citizen by exposing corruption.

Zimbabwean journalist, Hopewell Chin’ono, sent a detailed letter to the BBC in what appears to be a tell-it-all of the inhumane treatment he had to suffer in the hands of authorities.

I had been expecting trouble – so when eight men, some with AK-47s, arrived at my gate in an unmarked vehicle on the morning of 20 July, I was not surprised.

One warning had come about seven weeks earlier, when the spokesman for the ruling party had called me “unscrupulous” and accused me of tarnishing the name of the president’s family.

This was after I’d publicised a Covid-19 procurement scandal involving multi-million dollar contracts awarded to buy supplies at inflated prices – the health minister was then sacked and is facing charges over the allegations.

When the state agents asked me to come out of my house, I asked to see their warrant of arrest but they didn’t show me one.

Instead they hit my dining room glass door with a gun, and walked through to my bedroom where I was waiting for them with my phone, live-streaming their entrance.

I was dragged out of my bedroom barefoot, and asked to use the same entrance where the broken glass lay strewn.

That was the beginning of my 45-day nightmare.

I was not alone, I had been arrested on that same chilly day with Jacob Ngarivhume, a political activist who had called for a peaceful protest against corruption.

We were both charged with inciting violence as I had endorsed his march as the Zimbabwean constitution allows citizens to protest peacefully – something that President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government often thwarts.

Whilst at Harare Central Remand Prison, we received a visit from Zimbabwe’s main opposition leader, Nelson Chamisa, which we were told upset the president’s office.

He went on to give details of how he was treated like an animal in prison. People thought that the government of Robert Mugabe was bad, but it appears that the current one is blatantly corrupt and dictatorial.

Source; https://africaatrandom.com/journalist-in-zimbabwe-jailed-for-one-month-for-exposing-corruption/
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by KingstonAyo37: 6:59am On Oct 12, 2020
Welcome to Africa
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by helinues: 7:06am On Oct 12, 2020
Misleading story
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by Freestainworld(m): 7:33am On Oct 12, 2020
African leaders and dictatorship are like 5and6
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by champrince: 7:36am On Oct 12, 2020
Africa my Africa...where is the freedom of speech
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 12, 2020
Orisirisi
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by RandomAfrican1: 8:33am On Oct 12, 2020
helinues:
Misleading story

You must high
Re: Journalist In Zimbabwe Jailed For One Month For Exposing Corruption by BlackfireX: 9:12am On Oct 12, 2020
So if you now expose them on more corruptions , what will happen to you??

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Police Are The Most Corrupt In The World / #endsars; Free Slides At Protest Ground / Endsars: The Corrupt Nigerian Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.