Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye (348 Views)

Edo Speaker Okiye Impeached, New Speaker Emerges / Edo Speaker, Okiye, Six Others Formally Defect To PDP / BREAKING: Kano Assembly Impeaches Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye by contigiency(m): 12:56pm On Oct 12, 2020
The Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, Francis Okiye, has been impeached. His removal followed a motion by the Majority Leader of the House, Henry Okhurobo, that Okiye be removed over allegations of high-handedness. His impeachment letter was signed by nine out of the 10 members who were present during a brief sitting on Monday.

The House immediately swore in Marcus Onobun, representing Esan West State Constituency, as the new Speaker. The crisis in the Edo State House of Assembly began when it was inaugurated under controversial circumstances at night with only nine, out of 24 lawmakers-elect, on June 17, 2019, following an alleged proclamation by Governor Godwin Obaseki.

The lawmakers, who were not part of the process, as well as the All Progressives Congress, rejected the process and called on the governor to issue a fresh proclamation. However, a Federal High Court in Rivers State barred the governor from doing so. A separate court also barred the National Assembly from taking over the Edo Assembly.

However, the APC claimed the men were thugs hired by the governor who was afraid of being impeached. The PUNCH had earlier reported that the governor, who later dumped the APC for the Peoples Democratic Party said shortly he won the September 19 poll that he lacked the power to bring back the 14 lawmakers yet to be inaugurated.

Obaseki explained that the 14 lawmakers “refused to be inaugurated”. “We should learn that democracy is underpinned by the constitution and the law. “Even if I wanted today to bring them back, I don’t have such powers. “I do not have anything against them because I do not have such authority to bring them back to the house.”

Re: Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye by hayatulimisticor(m): 12:56pm On Oct 12, 2020
Need a writer??
Want a low rate?
Want zero% plagiarism?

Hit me up!! Let's talk business!!
WhatsApp -07012608663
Re: Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye by Agbegbaorogboye: 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2020
Sauce or fable tongue
Re: Edo Assembly Impeaches Speaker, Okiye by TecM0: 1:44pm On Oct 12, 2020
Lol

(1) (Reply)

My thought on endsarz palava / Group Calls For Total Ban Of All Street Protests / Youths Raise N4.1m To Buy Prosthetic Leg For #ENDSARS Protester Without Limb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.