Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,968 members, 7,852,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:49 PM

Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? (5059 Views)

When Will Nigeria Ever Create A Culture As Dis......? / A True YORUBA Nation / Chinese Speak Igbo Like A True Daughter Of The Soil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by Antiscam1: 2:18pm On Mar 09, 2011
Ajanlekoko,that story of Mo Ibrahim of celtel dat u posted does not even qualify some one to be a global entrepreneur let alone a GENIUS.Infact,globalcom has a better story and achievement under MIKE Adenuga than that CELTEL that has commenced business since 1998(when subscribers were still MEGA exploited) as against globacom which started business in 2003 and having presence in six countries already with recent move to add glo INDIAN to its cover.IBRAHIM's total worth as declared by your FORBE($2.5b) is roughly what glo is spending on its laying of submarine cable from europe,across Africa & Nigeria.A feat that they single handedly undertake without partnership & first of its kind in our economic block.

Yet,you would rather appreciate this IBRAHIM as a genius and castigate Mike Adenuga to d dungeon of Mediocre,Well as for me i ve not find any thing special in the life of that man who SOLD out probably as a result of DEBT because we are all living witness of CELTEL failure in Nigeria market.It may also interest you to know that Adenuga's CONOIL will BUY out that your GENIUS CELTEL only with d profit from a day SALE in its UPSTREAM sector(EXPLORATION activities).
Take it or leave it, dat CELTEL & Ibrahim is a business failure compared to GLO,CON oIL & Mike Adenuga.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by AjanleKoko: 2:54pm On Mar 09, 2011
Anti-scam:

Ajanlekoko,that story of Mo Ibrahim of celtel dat u posted does not even qualify some one to be a global entrepreneur let alone a GENIUS.Infact,globalcom has a better story and achievement under MIKE Adenuga than that CELTEL that has commenced business since 1998(when subscribers were still MEGA exploited) as against globacom which started business in 2003 and having presence in six countries already with recent move to add glo INDIAN to its cover.IBRAHIM's total worth as declared by your FORBE($2.5b) is roughly what glo is spending on its laying of submarine cable from europe,across Africa & Nigeria.A feat that they single handedly undertake without partnership & first of its kind in our economic block.

Yet,you would rather appreciate this IBRAHIM as a genius and castigate Mike Adenuga to d dungeon of Mediocre,Well as for me i ve not find any thing special in the life of that man who SOLD out probably as a result of DEBT because we are all living witness of CELTEL failure in Nigeria market.It may also interest you to know that Adenuga's CONOIL will BUY out that your GENIUS CELTEL only with d profit from a day SALE in its UPSTREAM sector(EXPLORATION activities).
Take it or leave it, dat CELTEL & Ibrahim is a business failure compared to GLO,CON oIL & Mike Adenuga.

No vex bros.
But what you wrote reads more like beer parlour gist than objective analysis.
Mo Ibrahim started Celtel with little more than seed capital, established a footprint in 14 countries, and sold the company for US$3.8bn.
He has been more active in that sector than your guy. He's functioned as a professional, academic, businessman, and social entrepreneur. Beyond 'Nigerian businessman', I doubt Adenuga is known as anything else.

By the way Mo Ibrahim is not in oil business. If Glo can afford to buy out Celtel ten times over, good luck to them, but i wonder why Forbes is not writing about Adenuga. Oh, yeah, I forgot, everybody hates Nigerians, so they like to run us down undecided

PhysicsMHD:

You still haven't answered my question. Why bring up Ghaddafi in the first place in the context of this discussion?

The man is NOT a political genius in any sense of the word. Not even in the sense that Stalin, Mao, or Napoleon were important political "geniuses" on the world stage.

Gamal Abdel Nasser was a political genius; the same for Sun Yat-Sen, Nelson Mandela, and so many others.

The truth is that Muammar Ghadaffi will NOT be remembered by anybody outside of Libya 50 years from now, not to talk of 100 or 150 years from now. You assumed he's a world figure like those I mentioned above because he's gotten so much press for over 30 years. Aside from the press he gets from his idiotic actions, what is there to actually remember him for? What legacies, what major movements? What political imprint on world history? Hitler, Stalin, Mao, etc., all made major moves on the world stage and had known political philosophies. What the hell did Ghaddafi do except screw up continuously and get bad press for it? Name even one thing this buffoon has done that's a major action on the world stage.

My other problem is that I don't think that your discussion with regard to Nigeria's impact on the world stageĀ  is constructive. It's actually just a series of vague put-downs with no discernible purpose. Take science for example. Instead of attempting to discuss why Nigeria lacked scientists who had achieved at the highest possible levels in the world, you initially naively asserted, with no prior thought, that Nigeria by mere virtue of its population and number of universities, could have actually produced a Nobel laureate in science without doing any analysis or comparison between those countries which have produced Nobel laureates in science and Nigeria to see what the difference was. The difference is so real and so tangible, yet you just assert without any further thought that it must be due to the inherent mediocrity of the people. You even asserted "and so many graduates who have attended schools from all over the world, even shattered academic records, but have never done anything beyond winning school prizes, at least not outside their academic communities" a statement which I even ignored, since there is already a thread on Nigerian academia to address that claim. I ignored it and tried to find what your perspective was on the actual problems with Nigeria's ability to produce those scientists that have achieved at the highest levels, but you avoided all of my points/questions.

When I pointed out what some of the differences were between Nigeria and countries that produce individuals that win the very highest awards, you went and brought up chairman of Microsoft Africa and company manager for Google and other irrelevant vague nonsense to try and insinuate that other black countries generally produce people who are standouts compared to Nigeria and its supposedly generally mediocre people.

What other Sudanese can you think of besides Mo Ibrahim who has done something that puts them on the world stage? I mean this for all categories: arts, politics, science, business, etc. I can only think of Muhammad Ahmad, but even he is somewhat obscure to most of the world.

I can't think of any Malian, I can only think of one Kenyan (Jomo Kenyatta), I can't think of any Libyans except for one madman (Ghaddafi), so how true is your idea of Nigerian being particularly mediocre in producing achievers at the highest level in comparison to their contemporaries?

Where are these Malians? What Kenyans? What Libyans? Think about your own questions for the 54 countries of Africa, and you'll immediately realize that Nigerians were not specifically targeted by the god of Africa to be cursed with mediocrity.

Bros.
Again you provide a long treatise in defence of the Nigerian's achievements. Just like fstranger, you seem to be intent on pointing out why i should not be making this kind of post in the first place, and I wonder why that is.

Forget Ghadaffi. This post is not about whether Ghadaffi is sane or not, or if he's a great guy or a tosser; I said he's a name that has always been in the news for one reason or the other, for years now, on a global level.

Believe it or not, guys. this isn't some kind of attempt to put down Nigerians. After all, I am one of you. I'm just interested in knowing how well we have represented on the global stage, and if we have produced some newsmakers, given the sheer size of our population. Period.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by AjanleKoko: 8:39am On Mar 11, 2011
Well, we finally got some recognition in Business and Economy. Dangote was recognised by Forbes as the richest man in Africa cool.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by Wbong: 9:50am On Mar 11, 2011
Chinua Achebe
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by AjanleKoko: 10:00am On Mar 11, 2011
^^
Statistically, he hasn't been recognised as much as some other African writers. Even Soyinka won the Nobel. Achebe hasn't.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2011
AjanleKoko:

^^
Statistically, he hasn't been recognised as much as some other African writers. Even Soyinka won the Nobel. Achebe hasn't.

Achebe has been widely lauded and recognized, and is even referred to as the "father of modern African literature" by many non-Nigerian sources. I also think having your books be required reading in so many high schools and colleges outside of Nigeria is definitely making an impact on the international/world level.

For the record, several European writers that are less deserving of the Nobel than Achebe have won it. I think Achebe's "problem" (I don't think there's an actual problem, but I'm looking at this from the possible perspective of the Nobel committee) was actually stamina. Mario Vargas Llosa and William Golding, for example, wrote many other novels besides their few most celebrated ones, providing a more grandiose and accomplished looking "literary resume". By contrast, Achebe seems to have stopped earlier or produced a shorter body of fiction than several other novelists who have won the Nobel.

1 Like

Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by olawalebabs(m): 8:56pm On Mar 13, 2011
Ajanlekoko, you just say my mind, but we have genuise too here. The likes of Obasanjo, IBB and even Abacha.
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by lekside44(m): 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2011
yes, chike obi, wole soyinka, c
Re: Has Nigeria Ever Produced A True Genius In Any Field? by Thirst4Lif: 3:54am On Mar 24, 2011
Uncertain how Dangote ranks scholastically, but anytime you amass a personal fortune of over a billion dollars, you are a genius!!

Regarding Farouk Muttallab;

Please don't expect him home any time soon. Matter of fact, go for, never! There's no chance in HELL the U.S. will ever release Muttallab.

Why would they, so he can join back up with his terrorist brotherhood, possibly be successful at his jihad next time? He ain't going back to Nigeria.

If anything Farouk is ironing some guys underwear in prison. But isn't he gay anyway? Thought I read that someplace. His life should be a utopia

now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Child Naming In Yoruba Culture / The Origin Of Osun Osogbo Festival / Why Do Kogi Central (Ebira) People Call Ihima and Adavi People Yoruba?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.