Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,387 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier (391 Views)

The Importance Of Regular Dental Check-ups At A Dentist Near You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 14, 2020
A labourer who lost his income during lockdown pulled out two of his own teeth with pliers and downed eight cans of Stella Artois to numb the pain because he couldn't get a dental appointment due to the coronavirus crisis.

Chris Savage, 42, resorted to yanking two of his own teeth out in his bedroom because he couldn't register with a dentist or book an emergency appointment, calling last Thursday's procedure 'the most horrible thing I've ever done'.

He said he had been in 'agony' for days, and revealed that just touching the tooth with his rusty pair of pliers set off waves of 'agonising pain'.

The labourer, from Southsea in Portsmouth, Hampshire, admitted to getting 'very drunk' beforehand by downing eight cans of Stella Artois to mask the pain before he pulled out the first tooth. He then waited a day before pulling out the second tooth.

His case has now been raised with the NHS by a health watchdog who said Mr Savage has been 'severely let down' by services in the city.

He said: 'I ended up having to get very drunk the first time. Nobody wants to take part of their own face away with a set of pliers and no real painkillers.

'I put the pliers on my tooth and the second I did that it hurt. So I took them away, waited five minutes, built up again and then thought I've just got to do it.

'It was a proper yank, a grip and pull — there's no mucking about once you get to the point it's started coming out.'

Mr Savage added that though there wasn't much blood there was 'enough to be scary', and that it was 'worth the risk of infection'.

The father-of-three didn't register with an NHS dentist when he moved to Portsmouth from Alton three years ago. He lost his two front teeth in a bicycle crash last year, and when he began to experience pain recently he called around 20 dental practices, none of whom were taking on new patients.

He then phoned 111, who directed him to a practice that had volunteered to do triage appointments during the pandemic to help the NHS, but was referred back to 111 when he contacted them.

'It was like a massive game of pass the parcel', he said.

Mr Savage signed up to receive Universal Credit during lockdown, leaving him with £50 a week for food and bills, meaning he was reluctant to spend the £100 per tooth it would have cost him to have them removed privately.

He said: 'I could've waited a week — borrowed money, and had it done in hygienic conditions but there was no way I could've waited.

'Hygiene wasn't going through my head, it was just 'get this out' - but the relief was worth it. The squelch noise as you pull it out is like nothing I've ever experienced and I thought 'I've made a big mistake here'.

'Then 10 minutes later there was a massive relief, but I couldn't do that second one.'
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8839199/Coronavirus-UK-Labourer-pulls-teeth-dentist-appointment.html

Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by PlayerMeji: 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2020
Covid has ended...
Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 14, 2020
Arrrrrrrh

Afonjo grin

Before the man no get teeth. grin

All those rat teeth am seeing there. grin

Omo teeth pain no be small pain don't ever pray to have it. I remember when I had such I don't sleep at night the pain was so excruciating.

The pain most have left him with nothing but to improvise.

1 Like

Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by doggedfighter(f): 11:40pm On Oct 14, 2020
grin
Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by Humanoid01(m): 12:12am On Oct 15, 2020
The kind odour wey go dey ooze from that mouth ehn.

Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by fati2001(m): 12:15am On Oct 15, 2020

Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by DICKstractor: 1:31am On Oct 15, 2020
Modern problems requires modern solutions

Only people that have experienced tooth pain will understand why this man did such thing
Re: Man Was Who Unable To See A Dentist Due To Covid Pulls His Teeth Out With Plier by ohchacha: 5:03pm On Oct 22, 2020
That's the worst thing about this pandemic! I couldn't see the dentist for a long time and that's quite painful. It didn't take me much time to see him and we only bought a device from American DentalCraft to treat my bruxism. So, I was waiting for it for so long!

(1) (Reply)

Voopoo Argus & Argus Pro - Still Ideal For Outdoor Enthusiasts / Are Nurses Trained To Be Heartless And Arrogant / Help I Think I'm Having Erectile Dysfunction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.