Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria (629 Views)

Meet Aarinola Olaiya Who Broke 28-Year-Old Record In Medicine In OAU / I Scored 283 in JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In Abia State University? / A Detailed Analysis Of Veterinary Medicine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria by Zeeknow3245(m): 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2020
I know that there are fewer registered Vets in Nigeria about 8000. I know that Vets are always busy.
I have checked about veterinary in Nigeria and I saw that there are five types of areas where they work more
* Pharmaceutical Industries and Representatives
* Academics
* Food Regulations
* Personal Business(Private) where the most productive area is livestock veterinary then followed by Companion Veterinary
* As Veterinary Officers for the government
These were what I saw that made me even confident about the course.
It was quite strange when you love Biology and you don't like dentistry, Medicine and surgery, nursing or other allied health courses involving humans.
I have always loved animals and I know that I am in a country where animals are only meant to be eaten.
It will be quite difficult preaching to people about animals health and Wildlife conservation.
The VCN and NMA are not even working in collaboration to see that this issue of Anti-venom production is fully maximised and lives saved. I think we have less than 4 venom treatment Centres in Nigeria. We are only concerned of working independently and this is a shame.
The other issue is that many ended in this profession because they were offered not because of they applied for it. That is why you see over 200 in Vet first year and by final year they are only 50 remaining because of withdrawal unlike our Cousins who start with over 150 and end with 100 . I know I will even read more than them
. The course is more challenging, hazardous than our cousins. We get the little pay a fraction of what they earn.Some may love it and some end up becoming the problem in the profession.
Another Issue is the Problems of Animal scientists Vs The Veterinarians. The Animal Scientist usually pose as vet which is a problem to the Vet profession. Animal Scientists are meant to devise new ways of breeding animals and improving their nutrition. The vets treat the animals and devise new ways of improve animals birth, immunity, building anti-toxins, improve Animal walking aid, attend to zoonotic diseases , monitor food production involving animals, Monitor contraband drugs.
I am very sure that Veterinary Medicine is not all about breeding dogs and cats and also treating them. It is far more than companion animals.
One of the first things to do is to close the faculty for any change of course to it then that will be the first step.
You Will surely earn with time once you build a reputation and the important thing is perseverance and faith and more than your COUSINS.
The Future is bright for the profession and I know I will be part of the progress and also add to it

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Teenscript Essay Competition: Save The Youths Conference 2021 Births New Segment / Learn Tone Marks (ami Ohun) In Yoruba / Answer This And Win Good Prize!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.